Rift, Vive, and Virtual Reality

Inside out tracking, big vent, might be a powerful standalone headset, something close to the power of a ps4 would be nice.

It would be great to see something competitive with the quest line but from another company. I am kinda hoping it comes in two flavors. one with its own apu and one that is just wireless / wired to a pc.

I don't see my self using vr when traveling and so would rather use my pc for games

I am kinda hoping it comes in two flavors. one with its own apu and one that is just wireless / wired to a pc.
I guess that's possible, but if it's just the same sort of chassis without the APU/battery and all that, you end up with a really compromised design. Good for manufacturing, but disappointing when you know they could have done something much better if they just made a dedicated PC headset that maximizes the design advantages of not needing onboard processing.

Also, just speaking on the product in general, while I'm all for more competition, I'm a bit dubious of buying into an HTC software ecosystem, as I'm expecting it will involve. I know it's a bit of a chicken and egg thing as you need users to buy in to succeed and provide long term support, but I dont have a ton of confidence in HTC succeeding here, so dont want to be one of the early adopters who gambles my money on it.

I guess that's possible, but if it's just the same sort of chassis without the APU/battery and all that, you end up with a really compromised design. Good for manufacturing, but disappointing when you know they could have done something much better if they just made a dedicated PC headset that maximizes the design advantages of not needing onboard processing.

Also, just speaking on the product in general, while I'm all for more competition, I'm a bit dubious of buying into an HTC software ecosystem, as I'm expecting it will involve. I know it's a bit of a chicken and egg thing as you need users to buy in to succeed and provide long term support, but I dont have a ton of confidence in HTC succeeding here, so dont want to be one of the early adopters who gambles my money on it.

Wouldn't most people just use steam with htc vive, vive pro, future htc headsets? There aren't any real eco system problems? HTC has been doing steam compatible vr headsets and collaborating with valve for pretty long time.

He means for the standalone software ecosystem i guess. Like the limited software library available for the vive cosmos

Cosmos is steamvr compatible. I expect htc proprietary stuff to die and people will keep using steam.

Quick & easy setup.
Inside-out tracking enables plug-and-play portability. Pairs with a wide-array of VR-ready PC desktops and laptops. No base stations needed.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/htc-vive-cosmos-vr-headset,6367-2.html#:~:text=The Cosmos is the first,new one and install Steam.

The Cosmos is the first PC-connected headset that Vive designed for Viveport first, SteamVR second, but the Cosmos still requires SteamVR to function. During the setup process, you must either log into an existing Steam account or create a new one and install Steam.

I don't believe there is market for htc proprietary platform. I know I wouldn't buy anything htc specific same way I rarely buy anything oculus specific.

Last edited:
Wouldn't most people just use steam with htc vive, vive pro, future htc headsets? There aren't any real eco system problems? HTC has been doing steam compatible vr headsets and collaborating with valve for pretty long time.
We're talking about a standalone headset that *might* also have PC/Steam connection. The main draw for standalone headsets are not their PC capabilities.

We're talking about a standalone headset that *might* also have PC/Steam connection. The main draw for standalone headsets are not their PC capabilities.

But who would buy htc proprietary standalone headset with 0 content? It's not like htc has content available from oculus, steam or psn stores in that case. I guess htc could try running windows or linux and use steam but that's not a great idea as steam content is designed mostly for more capable machines. I think htc has a really long and expensive road ahead if they want to create proprietary headset with htc only content. It also kind of goes against the htc and valve co-operation that has been in place since index.

But who would buy htc proprietary standalone headset with 0 content? It's not like htc has content available from oculus, steam or psn stores in that case. I guess htc could try running windows or linux and use steam but that's not a great idea as steam content is designed mostly for more capable machines. I think htc has a really long and expensive road ahead if they want to create proprietary headset with htc only content. It also kind of goes against the htc and valve co-operation that has been in place since index.
You're making my point for me, thank you. :p

Any standalone headset needs its own storefront of some kind. Otherwise it's not really standalone, is it?

You're making my point for me, thank you. :p

Any standalone headset needs its own storefront of some kind. Otherwise it's not really standalone, is it?

One could imagine running a full windows or linux in a standalone device. Making it a pc in a weird form factor. However power draw would likely make this no go or the device would only work with subset of steam content.

It all depends on the headset cost. The index is only $500 and its what 2 years old now ? The quest 2 is $300. So what if the pc stand alone headset was only $500 and had the same lenses , fov and everythign but apu/ battery ? Then the portable was a bit more expensive ($700ish lets say) and had those great lenses , fov and stuff but added the apu/ battery / ram

It wouldn't directly compete again the quest 2 or 3 but it could be a much better headset than the quest 2/3

I did use an unanounced htc headset but I don't know if this thing coming out is the same. I saw it at the beginning of 2019 before everything closed down. I liked it a lot but what i saw then wouldn't have me upgrade from an index . Def if I was on a cv1 or rift s/ quest 1

I can see it being a Quest competitor considering the success of that. But the main things I would like to see from a new Vive product would be impressive lens technology with wider FOV and improved sweet spot, increased contrast ratio, and resolution. Maybe NVIDIA's new foveated tech will be implemented.

Last edited:
It all depends on the headset cost. The index is only $500 and its what 2 years old now ? The quest 2 is $300.

Well sure, as long as you already have the base stations and controllers it's only 500 USD. If you don't it's useless unless you spend another 500 USD for the base stations and controllers.

The Quest 2 includes the controller and doesn't need base stations.

So, sure, if you already have the base station and controller then it's 500 USD versus 300 USD. If not then it's 1000 USD versus 300 USD.

Regards,
SB

Well sure, as long as you already have the base stations and controllers it's only 500 USD. If you don't it's useless unless you spend another 500 USD for the base stations and controllers.

The Quest 2 includes the controller and doesn't need base stations.

So, sure, if you already have the base station and controller then it's 500 USD versus 300 USD. If not then it's 1000 USD versus 300 USD.

Regards,
SB

If they use light houses again then for many users they can just use their existing gear. inside out tracking also shouldn't be expensive. Remember the index comes with two cameras in it and the quest line uses 4 cameras for tracking.

Controllers should also not be a crazy expense. The original touch controlers were $150 with a sensor

So the standalone headset looks to be for business use. That makes more sense, but it's still a tough sell against competition.

https://uploadvr.com/report-htc-vive-pro-2-focus-3/

Hard to have an ecco system to compete with Oculus. Start with a Business that would most likely want to tie it down to only their programs. They can also sell it for a higher price and offer premium support plans for it. Build out your user experience that way and then launch it for consumer.

New htc headsets got announced. Vive focus 3 has same soc as quest2. Focus3 is meant for enterprise though and seems to be pretty expensive(1300$).

Vive Pro 2 looks much like the original Pro, which itself was an update to the first Vive. Its shell features a mix of the original Vive’s black and the Pro’s navy but, otherwise, the design is essentially the same, with an adjustable headband and built-in speakers. The kit features LCD displays offering 2448×2448 per-eye resolution with a 120Hz refresh rate and a 120 degree field of view (FOV). There’s also adjustable IPD and support for existing Vive and SteamVR peripherals, though no eye-tracking support as seen in the Vive Pro Eye. You can see a full spec run down right here.
The Vive Focus 3, meanwhile, builds upon the original Focus and Focus Plus with an all-new design. Running on Qualcomm’s XR2 chip (the same used in the Oculus Quest 2), the kit’s display specs are largely comparable to the Pro 3 – 2448×2448 per-eye resolution and 120 degree FOV but with a 90Hz display. The headset features four-camera inside-out tracking and new controllers that look much like the Oculus Touch devices.

Interestingly, the device has a swappable battery at the back of the headset and features a magnesium alloy frame. Focus 3 will also come loaded with enterprise-focused software including access to the Vive Business AppStore, a marketplace for generalized enterprise applications. Again, you can find a full spec run down right here.
https://uploadvr.com/vive-pro-2-vive-focus-3/

Fancy. My 1080 Ti isn't gonna get the job done though. Unsure it's worth the $4000 investment to get this running well with a new GPU. lol

I've actually been considering a first gen WMR headset to experiment with because the Reverb's resolution already is really too much with some games and the 1080 Ti.

Last edited:
Back