Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) (SARS-CoV-2) [2020]

I’ve been seeing the same about 6 people for half a year, making music with two of them every weekend. Then almost 3 weeks ago just when I had a new friend over one of those two was asymptomatic and infected us. I have been really tired and had muscle aches since 2/3 days after infection and really tired, and am finally getting close to normal this weekend. The new friend only stopped having bouts of (occasionally high, near 40C) fever about two days ago, and is a wreck, with bad saturation. The asymptomatic person that infected us probably got it from a minister at church who was tested positive shortly before, and this person had pretty mild symptoms. Surprisingly many otherwise healthy 30-50yo in the hospitals now, potentially due to the British variant, keeping our hospitals overburdened despite vaccination really making strides (most of the originally at risk population is vaccinated now)

So far it sounds like vaccines are definitely preferable to getting the real thing. And surprisingly many people have long lasting effects.

Good to hear you’re recovering but too bad you got infected in he first place.

you guys were singing indoors?

as for long term effects, there were studies of the SARS patients from 2003 and some of them still showed effects years later. Not necessarily obvious symptoms but lung scarring.

Reporter for The Atlantic invited people to email him on why they weren't going to get vaccinated.

Most of his respondents were under 50 and there were some common explanations like "already had covid so don't need it" or "haven't had it yet but my immune system will protect me."

But the answers also tracked with how they felt about the pandemic. They didn't like the restrictions, thought it was a power grab by public health officials like Fauci and liberals.

Some of them claimed they were apolitical or even liberal but as a result of the pandemic, some of them voted all Republican. :rolleyes:

Yeah right, you were apolitical or liberal

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2021/05/the-people-who-wont-get-the-vaccine/618765/

John Oliver did a show about this vaccine hesitancy. He cited a poll that said 25% believe vaccine is more of a risk than getting covid.

Then he showed Tucker Carlson posing a bunch of questions with false assumptions -- "what is their efficacy and why are they not telling us?"

Then a clip of Alex Jones saying mRNA vaccines cause brain plaque and most people who get mRNA vaccines will have neurological disorders within a year and be dead within 10 years.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/john-oliver-anti-vax-myths-kennedy-joke

Basically a big enough percentage of Americans ignore mainstream media and rely on disinformation on right-wing media.

Not a surprise that the 5 states with the lowest percentages of vaccination are red states, LA, ID, WY.

I was at Walmart yesterday and even they have vaccination by appointment now. One can so easily get vaccinated around here. The FUD about all of this is not even remotely surprising though.

According to Google Maps, Sweden is currently at 49.6 cases per 100k.

Norway is at 11.3, Denmark is at 12.3, Finland is at 3.7. Baltics are all at least 27.

Next highest in Western Europe are Netherlands at 43.5, France at 32.2.

For comparison, India is at 27.7.

How does Tegnell keep his job?

Do they charge ?
From what I've heard, pharmacies do charge. However the city has been running a big vaccination clinic since March that is entirely free. That's where I went. It is quite the assembly line operation and surprisingly fast. I had no idea it would be at little pharmacies so quickly.

Last edited:
From what I've heard, pharmacies do charge. However the city has been running a big vaccination clinic since March that is entirely free. That's where I went. It is quite the assembly line operation and surprisingly fast. I had no idea it would be at little pharmacies so quickly.
Actually I got the Pfizer vaccine in the CVS pharmacy at no cost. I don't believe they are allowed to charge since they do not purchase the vaccine. The vaccines in the US are free and should be for quite a while.

I also got pfizer. Showed id, waited in line, showed id again, was asked the questionnaire, vaccinated, 15 minutes of observing and off I went. My shoulder was quite sore for 1.5days but nothing really alarming. Tetanus shot is still worse for me. Maybe the second shot will cause more annoyance. Vaccination was free as pharma said. Someone told me they have to be free as federal government paid for the vaccines.

Impact of vaccination on SARS-CoV-2 cases in the community: a population-based study using the UK’s COVID-19 Infection Survey | medRxiv

Conclusion Vaccination with a single dose of Oxford-AstraZeneca or Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines, or two doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, significantly reduced new SARS-CoV-2 infections in this large community surveillance study. Greater reductions in symptomatic infections and/or infections with a higher viral burden are reflected in reduced rates of hospitalisations/deaths, but highlight the potential for limited ongoing transmission from asymptomatic infections in vaccinated individuals.

upload_2021-5-5_16-49-58.png

From 1st December 2020 to 03rd April 2021, 373,402 individuals provided 1,610,562 RT-PCR results from nose and throat swabs in the COVID-19 Infection Survey (median [IQR] 3 [2 to 4]), of which 12,525 (0.8%) were the first positive in an infection episode and 1,598,037 (99.2%) were negative. Of 12,525 PCR-positives, 10,636 (85%) occurred in those ≥21 days before vaccination with no prior PCR/antibody-positive, 613 (5%) in those 1 to 21 days before vaccination with no prior PCR/antibody-positive, 238 (2%) in those first vaccinated 0 to 7 days ago, 421 (3%) in those first vaccinated 8 to 20 days ago, 417 (3%) in those vaccinated ≥21 days ago having received only one dose, 72 (1%) in those having received 2 vaccine doses, and 83 (1%) in those not vaccinated but previously PCR/antibody-positive.

Very few new infection episodes occurred in vaccinated individuals with evidence of previous
infection (i.e. prior PCR or antibody test positive) before vaccination (seven in those vaccinated 0 to
7 days ago, seven in those vaccinated 8 to 20 days ago, 11 in those ≥21 days after 1st dose with no
second dose, and six in those post second dose [Supplementary Table 3]) so these were classified
based on vaccination history alone. Of the 19,756 individuals who received a second vaccine dose,
3,437 (17%) had this 21 days after first vaccination, while the remainder received a second dose
median 59 days (IQR 36 to 71) later.

Ct values (inversely related to viral load) of new infections increased with increasing time from first
vaccination and number of doses (Figure 1; Supplementary Table 4). The highest Ct values were in
those who had received two vaccine doses, with a similar distribution to those not vaccinated but
previously PCR/antibody-positive. Ct values were lowest in those not vaccinated and not previously
PCR/antibody-positive. The percentage of PCR-positive cases self-reporting symptoms was highest in
those not vaccinated and not previously PCR/antibody-positive, and lowest in those with two
vaccine doses and those not vaccinated but previously PCR-/antibody-positive (Figure 2). Wellrecognised
COVID-19 symptoms (cough, fever, loss of taste/smell) were most commonly reported in
unvaccinated individuals and not previously PCR/antibody-positive, while other self-reported
symptoms occurred similarly across all vaccine exposure groups.

According to Google Maps, Sweden is currently at 49.6 cases per 100k.

Norway is at 11.3, Denmark is at 12.3, Finland is at 3.7. Baltics are all at least 27.

Next highest in Western Europe are Netherlands at 43.5, France at 32.2.

For comparison, India is at 27.7.

How does Tegnell keep his job?

Swedish people might not like lockdowns and are willing to accept more infected (but not dead) to keep as much as possible of normal life?

Swedish people might not like lockdowns and are willing to accept more infected (but not dead) to keep as much as possible of normal life?

I don't think they succeeded in the keeping deaths down part either.

Are there no infected Swedes suffering from "long covid?"

I don't think they succeeded in the keeping deaths down part either.

Are there no infected Swedes suffering from "long covid?"

Fewer deaths (per capita) than France, more than the Netherlands. Unclear how many people are suffering long term symptoms.

Back