Formula 1 - 2021 Season

Last edited:
Publisher Electronic Arts and developer Codemasters have announced F1 2021 for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC (Steam). It will launch on July 16.

A half-watched P2: Ric had a time deleted for track limits that would have put him ~11th. Max had a driveshaft pop out going over a rumble strip, so missed most of the session. LeClerc french kissed (snap oversteer led him right front first into) the wall with 4mins left. I saw a graphic that showed Gasly’s “long run” (though I think it was only ~5 laps) pace on the mediums was only a tenth off the Mercs.

Ocon and Perez apparently had a coming together in P1. Plus ça change.... :D

Last edited:
Publisher Electronic Arts and developer Codemasters have announced F1 2021 for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC (Steam). It will launch on July 16.
$5 for F1 2019 and a bunch of racing games, $12-$20 for F1 2020 and a double bunch of games from other genres, or $60+ for F1 2021 plus increased regional pricing and presumably whatever microtransactions EA can FUT in there at the last second. To be fair, there will be three new tracks (“Portimão in Portugal, Imola in Italy, and the debut of the new Jeddah street track in Saudia Arabia”) and some other stuff.

Russell might be in for some trouble, after crashing straight into Bottas he went on and actually hit Bottas on the head while he was still in his cockpit

Action packed race, a little rain always spices things up. Big crashes and birds flipped! :p

Great recovery drive from Lewis, and good to see Lando on the podium.

Russell might be in for some trouble, after crashing straight into Bottas he went on and actually hit Bottas on the head while he was still in his cockpit

Bit of an exaggeration isn't it? First of all you could argue who was at fault and secondly let's not make a big deal out of slapping somebody's helmet with a flat hand. Unless it's Mike Tyson with gloves on going off on your crash helmet you aren't exactly going to get hurt.

Race was good and fun to watch. Seems the midfield did get stuck behind each other though which was too bad. Also Hamilton has unbelievable amounts of luck. He messes up and still gets away unscathed because somebody decides to go and have a big accident at the same time.

Bit of an exaggeration isn't it? First of all you could argue who was at fault and secondly let's not make a big deal out of slapping somebody's helmet with a flat hand.
Hit might have been exaggaration, depending on how one reads it, but the crash is 100 % Russell, nothing to argue about that. Bottas left all and more than needed space, Russell got his rear tire on the wet, possibly even wet grass and spun right into Bottas.

Even BBC commentators, who tend to defend their countrymen, said right away it was all Russell. Sky was a bit more cautious but still credited it to Russell.

Hit might have been exaggaration, depending on how one reads it, but the crash is 100 % Russell, nothing to argue about that. Bottas left all and more than needed space, Russell got his rear tire on the wet, possibly even wet grass and spun right into Bottas.

Even BBC commentators, who tend to defend their countrymen, said right away it was all Russell. Sky was a bit more cautious but still credited it to Russell.
Yep, I agree. Russel should get punished for the whole thing: the crash and his behavior after.

Well you could (and Russel did) argue that Bottas shouldn’t have been driving there in that car and deserves punishment for that too. I would have given Russel the car this season already.

But from my perspective, this looks like it may be the year we’ve been waiting for for almost 7 years. Exciting times!

And kudos to Leclerc as well. He keeps impressing me. And good to see Norris up there as well.

Well you could (and Russel did) argue that Bottas shouldn’t have been driving there in that car and deserves punishment for that too. I would have given Russel the car this season already.

But from my perspective, this looks like it may be the year we’ve been waiting for for almost 7 years. Exciting times!

And kudos to Leclerc as well. He keeps impressing me. And good to see Norris up there as well.
I rarely support Bottas, but what could he do? Drive dangerously on the left where it was still wet? He left enough space on the right, but that's the race, let's say it was 70/30 because of Russel. But going near a driver to insult him then hitting him on his helmet after a big crash while the guy is still seated and potentially vulnerable after such a crash? Is that a gentleman thing to do? It's the first time I ever see that kind of behavior. That could have being actually dangerous.

Stewards agree, Bottas did nothing. They didn't penalize Russell either, though the crash was caused by his car hitting damp patch and spinning to Bottas.
https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/decision-document/2021 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Decision - Car 63 - Incident with car 77 in turn2.pdf
The Stewards heard from the driver of Car 63 (George Russell), the driver of Car 77 (Valtteri Bottas) and the team representatives and reviewed multiple angles of video evidence and telemetry. Car 63 approached car 77 to pass after the front straight a few laps after the restart when DRS had recently been enabled. Car 77 maintained his line throughout the incident along the right hand side of the dry line, leaving at least a full car’s width to the right at all times. Car 63 approached with a significant speed advantage. He moved to pass on the right. As the cars approached the kink of turn 1, the gap between them and the right hand side of the track decreased. At no time did either car manoeuvre erratically. The track appeared to be not especially wet through turn 1 but at the point of closest approach to the right hand side of the track, the right hand side tyres of Car 63 hit an especially damp patch and the car snap yawed, bearing in mind that the car had low downforce in the rear with the DRS open. The Stewards conclude that the accident was a racing incident considering the conditions and take no further action. Competitors are reminded that they have the right to appeal certain decisions of the Stewards, in accordance with Article 15 of the FIA International Sporting Code and Article 10.1.1 of the FIA Judicial and Disciplinary Rules, within the applicable time limits.

--

edit:
Something that definitely needs another look at, though.
- Perez was penalized (10s) for taking his spot back after spinning behind SC conditions
- Räikkönen was penalized (30s) for not taking his spot back after spinning behind SC conditions
(copied image from another forum)
screenshot_20210418-214059-png.590021

Bottas needs to up his game, sure he had the censor issue which was unfortnate as he was catching Max, but it was clear early on he just doesn't have the pace.

Enjoyed watching Lewis steam past both and win, impressive hunger for a guy that has achieved soo much and doesn't need to prove anything... although the crickets in this thread are often deafening.

Bring on Barca.

Bottas needs to up his game, sure he had the censor issue which was unfortnate as he was catching Max, but it was clear early on he just doesn't have the pace.

Enjoyed watching Lewis steam past both and win, impressive hunger for a guy that has achieved soo much and doesn't need to prove anything... although the crickets in this thread are often deafening.

Bring on Barca.
The pass revealed something curious, too: the Mercs were running drastically different rear wings. What's unknown is whether this was up to drivers to decide or is Hamilton getting preferential treatment with first grabs on new parts

eroa-jpg.601115

spoilerit-jpg.601114

Back