Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like an odd choice to go with 1440p on the Series S RT mode. I wonder how it'd perform at 1080p? They could implement a similar scaling process to Returnal (if the render budget was available).
When I saw some of the responses in here I was expecting the XSS RT performance to be really bad, mainly around the 30fps mark.
But it really isn't that bad at all, and as you say a drop in resolution in that mode could really level out the performance a lot.
May not even need to go to 1080p to get a decent performance profile.

Edit: or obviously option to lock it to 30fps, although that may be a bit drastic considering how much higher it usually performs.

Last edited:
Do you think that during this generation we'll see a native RT *only* game?

Meaning: a full RT engine from the start that had no baked lighting/shadows assets (and/or, totally eliminating rasterization as well)? If so, then no.

Also, let me know when NURBS comes back into style.

IDK, maybe update your drivers and especially your Windows version (important!)

Thanks to this demo I was able to compare my performance with the Series S at 1440p. Series S was getting 36 FPS at a specific scene, I was getting 46. That's pretty cool.

Thanks Dampf! It was a Steam related issue. It seems the 're8demo.exe' file was incorrect or outdated during the initial push. After deleting the .exe file and verifying data integrity on pushing down the new one, I'm good to go.:cool:

7g67eVJ.png

The version tested was 1.0.0.1 on Xbox Series X|S and 1.001.000 on PS5.

Timestamps:
00:00 - Ray Tracing On
08:09 - Ray Tracing Off

PS5 in both modes and Xbox Series X in both modes render at a resolution of 3840x2160 using what appears to be a form of checkerboard rendering.

Xbox Series S in both modes renders at a resolution of 2560x1440 using what appears to be a form of checkerboard rendering.

ijJTXG7.jpg

x1HTG9m.jpg

Very close RT performance indeed. Can't wait for the final retail game and analysis.

props to capcom for seemingly improving the situation on xbox since dmc! Also wow, is this the first major locked 60 at 1440p (checkerboard, I know) game on the xss?

Does anyone know if the Series S has a 30hz option in the settings. Not in game, but in the system settings. I'm pretty sure I can force that on my One X, but I've never tried it in games because I get motion sick with lower frame rates. I'm just curious if that would lock and properly frame pace a 30fps output.

props to capcom for seemingly improving the situation on xbox since dmc! Also wow, is this the first major locked 60 at 1440p (checkerboard, I know) game on the xss?
That's a 4TF RDNA2 GPU with a Zen 2 3.5ghz. I am more impressed by the Pro game being very stable 60fps (99.92% at 60fps) at native 1080p (>1440p CBR) with a 4.2tf GCN GPU and a 2.1ghz Jaguar.

RE Village looks decidedly last gen for me on my S. I was more impressed with Hivebusters. The RT doesn't seem to make much difference, certainly not worth the cost.

Can't wait to see proper next gen games using all the hw features.

Last edited:
I wonder what a psvr2 ps5 RE8 version would look like. RE7 psvr was probably the most mind blowing experience of my gaming life despite the game just being "good' and the psvr quality serviceable. VR really elevated that game more than I thought possible.

Yes I hate this genre of games but perfect for VR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back