Halo Infinite [Fall 2021] [XO, XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

I appreciate quiet forums but we shouldn't stop posting news entirely!

Hey old man! LOL j/k

Day/night looks awesome.

One note though....

In the same spirit, we’ve been regularly reviewing the Xbox versions of Halo Infinite with our multiple partner teams. And while the work-in-progress images we are presenting today are captured on a PC - which we’ll dive deeper on in a future blog post - we are committed to deliver a great experience and high level of visual fidelity across all platforms.” - Alex Le Boulicaut, Graphics Producer

Read elsewhere that it's supposed to reflect Series X, but the quote above doesn't say that. If I can't get that on my Series X I will be disappointed.

Tommy McClain

I can't wait for this game. The delay will have done this game so much good. I've been playing through the MCC on PC in the lead up to what was supposed to be the launch of the game, but since the delay happened I have more time to play them all.

I know it's not the most popular Halo game, but I hope Halo 5 proper also comes to PC at some point. It makes absolutely no sense to have every other Halo game on PC, and just omit the 5th game. I'm sure they've got plans to bring it over eventually though.

huge business allowing consoles m+kb warriors face off against other m+kb warriors. And pads staying together.

This is the ideal case of removing the concept of needing a PC now for specific types of games. Just need to keep moving to this direction and we can get RTS and MMO games etc on console.

Lighting model looks very dated however. Not going to lie, I have very low odds on this game being any sort of head turner. The engine lighting tech demos looked superior to what we're seeing here; which is a lot of weird artificial light probes being put into place. Then again, those were cutscenes, so you can do some crazy stuff with lighting in those scenarios.

But looking forward to the gameplay however here. This is pretty massive open world shooting.

Last edited:
"competitive modes restricted to input type"

This is really important, I hope it applies to Xbox.

I deleted a game I love (Cold War) because this problem made it too difficult to compete.

What's the ETA on this game anyway?

"competitive modes restricted to input type"

This is really important, I hope it applies to Xbox.

I deleted a game I love (Cold War) because this problem made it too difficult to compete.

What's the ETA on this game anyway?
Fall maybe? I don't think they can delay any longer.

I think most competitive games now use some kind of kernal-mode anti cheat software.
I think this may be a misnomer. Games/applications shouldn't be able to access the kernel in Windows. CPUs literally have separate user and kernel modes to keep the sensitive parts of the OS separate from other code.

This is probably just a reference to Halo Infinite running some DRM that makes it difficult for cheat utilities to influence the code.

Fall maybe? I don't think they can delay any longer.

A nice exclusive like this might persuade me to get a XSX. I'm not convinced that Halo needs to be a graphical showcase, I remember playing Halo 3 on the 360 for the first time and thinking it didn't look too different to Halo 2 from the OG Xbox. Didn't stop me enjoying the game.

I do wish they'd drop the older platforms and really push the XSX to the max. It's almost a disservice to the new consoles as they're not able to shine as bright as they would otherwise. Totally understand the financial incentive to release on all Xboxes.

A nice exclusive like this might persuade me to get a XSX. I'm not convinced that Halo needs to be a graphical showcase, I remember playing Halo 3 on the 360 for the first time and thinking it didn't look too different to Halo 2 from the OG Xbox. Didn't stop me enjoying the game.
lol me too. I have never ever considered Halo a graphical showcase. I think H4 impressed me for running on a 360, but I've never really considered the game anywhere close to competing at the apex of graphical fidelity. I think most people just assume it should given the concept of it being a first party game and the flag bearer for MS. But I don't ever see this title being able to keep up with other studios, there are too many things they would need to compromise on: frame rate and resolution would both need to come down to increase fidelity.

Lighting model looks very dated however. Not going to lie, I have very low odds on this game being any sort of head turner.
Thats why it needs to be released ASAP or else the run in danger of being a duke nukem, with a lot of better looking titles being released and them going (oh shit we cant release now because comparisons with other games are embarassing, thus we have to rework the rendering, which just leads to a feedback loop), just release it as is, throw up your hands admit we stuffed up, its a lost cause and put another studio at work on halo 7 (no doubt this will happen anyways, I cant see them letting 343 having another shot, fool me once shame on me, fall me twice = ditto, but fool me thrice, won't get fooled again, GWB out in the fields )

Thats why it needs to be released ASAP or else the run in danger of being a duke nukem, with a lot of better looking titles being released and them going (oh shit we cant release now because comparisons with other games are embarassing, thus we have to rework the rendering, which just leads to a feedback loop), just release it as is, throw up your hands admit we stuffed up, its a lost cause and put another studio at work on halo 7 (no doubt this will happen anyways, I cant see them letting 343 having another shot, fool me once shame on me, fall me twice = ditto, but fool me thrice, won't get fooled again, GWB out in the fields )

It looks like a dated destiny 2. Maybe because destiny 2 art style better hides the dated look?

I think they'll be fine. This game isn't meant to be a graphical tour de force. The most played games today are all F2P and none of them are anywhere close to be a graphical powerhouse except for Call of Duty. Halo is being designed to have a huge player base with a long MP tail. That's a bigger ask around game design than it is around graphics. Not being able to figure out how to move forward in the FPS space is the key issue 343i needs to solve. Half their population wants it to stay like Halo 1-3. The other half who are used to newer styles of FPS games and mechanics want Halo to evolve. So that's really where they are going to struggle imo. They need to introduce key FPS game design innovations of their own like they did with Halo when it launched. Graphics are a far second from that in terms of importance.

Halo came into fame not because of graphics. They introduced the trinity of FPS design of gun, melee grenade. They introduced self healing shields/armor. All of which is a big principle in most FPS games today. They introduced big landscape battles combined with vehicular warfare, seamless indoor/outdoor combat. Also now widely used everywhere.

Since then, they've introduced nothing. That's where I see the problem being for Halo. This new one needs to change the dynamic, they've tried, but largely failed at really change the FPS landscape.

Back