Death Stranding (DC) [PS4, PS5, PC]

I gave it a chance even tough after gameplays I thought it would be boring and also don't like horror elements in games usually and I'm happy. Sure there were boring moments in my 50h gameplay but also it was addictive and I want to do one more deliver. Graphic is great and one of better this ending generation (especially character faces during cutscenes) but there are sometimes lacking textures. Also I didn't notice any bug (played year after release so don't know how it was on premiere) and it was quite contrasting to Valhalla I've played earlier ;d Story, lore is very unique and original, was very curious to find out how it will develop. Ending was little disappointing for me but generally nice surprise as this game is really good. 8.5/10

I have finished this about a week ago.
I have to say....I was mind blown. The whole concept, cinematography, plot, the whole thing makes this a very very very special game.
I have no words. This is like the Space Odyssey of games. This is a title that should leave its mark in gaming history.

Technically this is a masterpiece. The fine details are extreme. It's gameplay may seem simple in concept like taking things from one place to another, but there is a lot of high complexity hidden in every aspect.
Graphics, camera use, sound use, animation, modeling, direction/execution of the story telling/cut scenes, everything pushes the envelope in a very special way and with high mastery.

Yeah this game is just a glorified fetch quest but it was awesomely made

most of the missions are properly polished. Unlike most games where it's usually just the intro, middle, and ending that got polished (with sleek camera work, amazing set pieces, gripping presentation, etc)

I have to say....I was mind blown. The whole concept, cinematography, plot, the whole thing makes this a very very very special game.
I have no words. This is like the Space Odyssey of games. This is a title that should leave its mark in gaming history.

Technically this is a masterpiece. The fine details are extreme. It's gameplay may seem simple in concept like taking things from one place to another, but there is a lot of high complexity hidden in every aspect.
Graphics, camera use, sound use, animation, modeling, direction/execution of the story telling/cut scenes, everything pushes the envelope in a very special way and with high mastery.

I pretty much agree. Although I'm a Kojima fanboy, so seeing his first personal work in 25 years was a really beautiful thing to behold. Like seeing a glimpse of his own, personal heaven.

I do wonder whether the lengthy monologue from you know who near the end was necessary though. There's something about it that slightly diminished some of the strange mystery of the rest of the story. I can't quite put my finger on it.

What did you think about that scene?

As an aside, I did start to become quite amused at the number of cutscenes I would have to skip through when choosing to take a shower. Really, Kojima, could you just show me a single, 20 minute cutscene of Norman Reedus's naked penis so I can just skip a single cutscene each time thereafter?

Did you also cry like a baby at the end or was it just me? I mean, a friend I know.

I pretty much agree. Although I'm a Kojima fanboy, so seeing his first personal work in 25 years was a really beautiful thing to behold. Like seeing a glimpse of his own, personal heaven.

I do wonder whether the lengthy monologue from you know who near the end was necessary though. There's something about it that slightly diminished some of the strange mystery of the rest of the story. I can't quite put my finger on it.

What did you think about that scene?
Which scene are you talking about? Various people were giving their final words at the end, so I m not sure which one. Tell me in a spoiler tag :)
As an aside, I did start to become quite amused at the number of cutscenes I would have to skip through when choosing to take a shower. Really, Kojima, could you just show me a single, 20 minute cutscene of Norman Reedus's naked penis so I can just skip a single cutscene each time thereafter?
:LOL:

Which scene are you talking about? Various people were giving their final words at the end, so I m not sure which one. Tell me in a spoiler tag :)
:LOL:

Haha true, I forgot that this has more endings than The Return of the King.

I was referring to Amelie and her extinction event monologue.

Did you also cry like a baby at the end or was it just me? I mean, a friend I know.

I teared up quite a bit at one of the endings.

I did not want to go to that fucking incinerator.

Haha true, I forgot that this has more endings than The Return of the King.

I was referring to Amelie and her extinction event monologue.
Oh yeah....some of it felt a bit too much.
Some of Kojima's games tend sometimes to overexplain the story, usually the ending, as if he is worried that people may not get it.
In general, to my surprise, tt is very well written to the point that I was wondering, if Kojima had a lot of help this time around in that regard. Maybe Guilermo assisted.
But a portion of the section you are referring too did feel like it needed some better writing and that it didnt have to overexplain.
Somethings are best left in their dreamy and mysterious state and let the player connect the dots.
It was a conflict between the dreamy atmosphere, the game's surrealism, the ambience and a flat realism. But atleast that section was probably only 10 minutes and only some of it felt a bit out of place. Thank God it wasn't as bad as MGS4

I d say it is like approaching an orgasm and then just right before the climax your partner starts talking about chemicals in the brain and how everything is nothing more than biological functions. :LOL:

The ending was absolute shite and soured the whole experience. I lost a lot of sleep because of that unskippable multi hour movie experience crammed in and I happened to start it in the evening. Kojima can go fuck himself for that.

I wish that particular ending...

... monologue was just kept to personal matters. I think it would've been better if she was just talking to Sam like an older sibling, but what she had to say contained an undercurrent of her knowing she had to do something. Something that she couldn't explain to Sam because he wouldn't be able to comprehend it.

The Tree of Life would've been ruined by a monologue. It worked on a level more powerful than just logic. Death Stranding had the potential to do something similar, and largely succeeded.

That said, playing Death Stranding while off my tits on powerful psychedelics really wouldn't have been an option, so it could never quite hit me in the same way.

Damn, now I'm thinking I should probably play it.
You should. Even if the gameplay is not necessarilly your thing. The gameplay isnt bad. It is different. i loved it, knowing at the same time that it is strange and not mainstream/very approachable and a lot of people will hate it.
It takes some time at the beginning trying to understand how the game works. The beginning frustrated me a bit, because the menus looked complicated but then I found it was much simpler than it looked.
Then again you have games that are downright masochistic like Dead Souls and Bloodborne where they have their huge following. This one is the opposite. The type of game where you can enjoy the hiking with some relaxing music if thats how you prefer to play it.
How everything connects eventually, how the story unfolds and even the whole concept itself is so unique that it is worth experiencing.
It is an abstract concept that manages to blend and work in a special way. How they thought of these ideas and pulled it off is very interesting.

It would have been even better without the monsters.. just hiking an some difficult terrain. Boss fights were just chores. Not to shit on the game too much, there was some greatness in there as well.

Are there any news on a remaster/patch for this game?
I was gifted the game late last year but I've been saving it on the perspective of at least getting a 60FPS patch, but I haven't heard anything official about it.

Are there any news on a remaster/patch for this game?
I was gifted the game late last year but I've been saving it on the perspective of at least getting a 60FPS patch, but I haven't heard anything official about it.

None that I know of. There was some rumour of a remaster with additional story content, but I think that was from the forum that shall not be named (or its predecessor,) so take that with a pinch of salt. That said, given how covid has impacted so many things, I'd have thought a remaster would be a pretty easy win for Sony to pad their content this year.

Graphically, it's great, but there are some issues that a remaster (or, ideally, a patch) could fix. Namely, the AA and AF. 60fps would be a nice addition too, but the framerate's not jarring, unlike the prior two issues.

If you have a PC of adequate spec and you're itching to play Death Stranding, then that's definitely the platform on which to play it. But it's still well optimised and beautiful on the PS4/Pro/5.

It has way too many MGS references.
So many that I wonder if it's hinting to something or if its just a love message to the fans.
The ambient music is typical MGS2, the special lens flare is MGSV, the area design and camera work is typical MGS, the air duct with the rat is every MGS, the oranges are probably a reference to MGS2's area with the fruit, and the box of cource.....who forgets the box?
And at the end he focuses on the text "handle with love".
Maybe it is Kojima sending his love to all those that loved his games, maybe he made this specifically to give us a taste of MGS gameplay in Death Stranding, probably it is a message to another team making a remake, or probably its a hint that his studio managed to get the rights to make another MGS....or maybe I am thinking too much of it

It looks like these armored guys are guarding bodies btw.

Back