Returnal (Housemarque) [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
This whole 'game is very/too difficult' narrative is kinda pathetic. Some games are difficult. Some games are difficult for some people, other games are easy for other people. Personally I found Demon Souls super easy - but I was coming fresh from getting the Dark Souls 3 platinum which was basically hell.
Difficult is fine as long as it’s actually fun. I think a lot of people have found that games are artificially lengthened as of late, or the opposite being artificially hard. Both of which are mechanics to padding gameplay hours I guess.

Perhaps the fear just comes down to time to play; they just don’t want to have to slog through a whole game that is padded for length combined with poor difficulty scaling. Ie: one hit kills, barely surviving each encounter and knowing there are 250+ encounters and so much more game to complete.

a good example here of a recent game: Pillars Of Eternity Deadfyre. I love these types of games so I don’t mind playing it at above normal difficulties. But this game is probably their worst title when it comes to scaling. I’m still relatively early and I’m checking out because I know I have 80hrs of play left and these battles are nearly 20 minutes long at times.

other games like Below is just plain impossible to enjoy because of the number of one hit death traps combined with rushing through environments, combat, etc. Only a single life. Etc. This I would say is poor design.

Others like cuphead are just insanely much harder than the games before it. I know they are modelled after contra or even mega man, but those titles weren’t Cuphead hard. Cuphead is like nearly ninja gaiden impossible. This I would say is too difficult that people would rather spend their time elsewhere.

Last edited:
Housemarque did the game Supreme Snowboarding back in late '99, was fun untill SSX ps2 made its debut. Supreme Snoboarding (or boarder zone) was graphically quite impressive for its time.

This whole 'game is very/too difficult' narrative is kinda pathetic. Some games are difficult. Some games are difficult for some people, other games are easy for other people. Personally I found Demon Souls super easy - but I was coming fresh from getting the Dark Souls 3 platinum which was basically hell.

I platinumed Resogun (took a million years) and I think I only managed to actually kill the final boss once or twice - and only cause one of the trophies required me to do it, and only on Easy (if I remember correctly). I don't think I ever managed to beat that final boss on any harder difficulties. After racking up hundreds of hours of fun on the game. And I kept playing it again because it was so much fun, which is exactly the point of these games.

When did gamers become such babies?
I beat Hamilton at Monza in gt sport dlc, its like piece of cake for good drivers but almost impossible for casual but still I think its good reviewers talk about dificulty couse games are very popular now and not everybody like hard games ;)

This whole 'game is very/too difficult' narrative is kinda pathetic
(...)
Personally I found Demon Souls super easy
(...)
I platinumed Resogun
(...)
When did gamers become such babies?

what he said about progression in the second half of the game, I can see that's going to get a bit annoying. A bit as in a lot.

Dude...

I'm very skeptical about that "Demon's Souls is a cakewalk in comparison".
That's a pretty difficult game to finish.
demon souls has mage class and firestorm spell that destroy all boses on one or two casts (thats how I finished it ;d tough you have to beat around half of game to get firestorm) also you can grind levels

Warning about potential glitched game saves and trophies @ https://www.powerpyx.com/returnal-trophy-guide-roadmap/

• Online Trophies: 2 (1
    73_trophy.png
    , 1
    trophy.png
    ) –
    trophy.png
    In-Field Training,
    73_trophy.png
    Helios –> always be connected to PSN while playing this game! It tracks your progress through the Activity Cards (particularly Survey trophies) and if you’re not online it can glitch out many trophies due to faulty tracking!

• Glitched trophies: There’s about a 20% chance for story trophies (act 1-3), boss trophies & house sequence trophies to glitch out. It will unlock fine for most players but can be very buggy for others. All bosses respawn so if a trophy doesn’t pop just reboot your console and beat them again and it should unlock. But if the act-related trophies / house sequence trophies bug out on you, then the only way is to restore a save game backup from PS+ Cloud or to replay the entire game. –> see red warning at top of trophy guide

Because the story-related trophies (act 1, 2, 3 & bosses), as well as house sequences, have a high chance to glitch you should make some save game backups throughout the game.

As a precaution, back up your save game at these points:
  • Before going to the 3rd boss (end of act 1) –> in case act 1 trophy glitches out
  • Before going to the 5th boss (end of act 2) –> in case act 2 trophy glitches out
  • Before returning all 6 sunface fragments to the house which triggers the last house sequence and opens up act 3. –> in case house sequence trophy or act 3 trophy glitches out

Preordered this. I hope it's not too hard. Disappointed I can't predownload.

This game reminds me Alien 3 (SNES). Except the rogue aspect they have plenty of things in common: A woman alone in a bizarre world with alien monsters, oppressive ambiance, great and immersive music and sound effects, dark and rainy environments and even a bit of Metroid like progression on SNES. And Alien 3 was a quite hard game.

Back