Second Extinction game preview [XB, PC]

mr magoo

Veteran
I havent noticed any thread about this game. Its out as a preview on gamepass and i have to say its quite enjoyable. Gameplay wise it reminds me a lot of apex legends, movement and characters, classes, abilities.

"Second Extinction is an intense 3 player cooperative shooter, where your goal is to wipe out the mutated dinosaurs that have taken over the planet. Teamwork is vital as you adopt the role of one of the survivors, using a unique combination of weapons, abilities and skills to take on the vast number of enemies. Fight through a maelstrom of bullets, bombs, teeth, claws and gore, it's up to you to reclaim Earth!"

https://www.secondextinctiongame.com/

I don't if they bought a generic voice pack form the Unity store if the voice work is intentionally ironically bad. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This uses the Avalanche engine, just to be clear.

I havent noticed any thread about this game. Its out as a preview on gamepass and i have to say its quite enjoyable. Gameplay wise it reminds me a lot of apex legends, movement and characters, classes, abilities.

"Second Extinction is an intense 3 player cooperative shooter, where your goal is to wipe out the mutated dinosaurs that have taken over the planet. Teamwork is vital as you adopt the role of one of the survivors, using a unique combination of weapons, abilities and skills to take on the vast number of enemies. Fight through a maelstrom of bullets, bombs, teeth, claws and gore, it's up to you to reclaim Earth!"

https://www.secondextinctiongame.com/

This game looks so cringey.

I'm going to install it and play it to death this weekend.

warning dont watch after ratchet and clark like I did, cause everything now looks shit.
In saying that it doesnt look to bad, and too me it looks a lot more fun than r&c (I hate platformers) and I love over the top cheese, though Im not sure about cheese when its aimed at PG 13 year old boy level (which seems like it is here), I like it more like Raw Force or riki-oh or WIP film etc

it plays like L4D. Has a Halo ODST drop pod introduction to every level. You can choose your insertions and stuff. It's a really whacky game full of jank. Dinosaurs are complete bullet sponges, but this game is worth a run through with your buds.

it plays like L4D. Has a Halo ODST drop pod introduction to every level. You can choose your insertions and stuff. It's a really whacky game full of jank. Dinosaurs are complete bullet sponges, but this game is worth a run through with your buds.
I've been playing this on PC since it was early access last year. The regular guns are weak against dinos, but there are perks and deployables that are OP. Mine seeding is one, and the carbine with exploding bullets is another. Actually, the carbine is the best gun in the game. You can make it do poison and exploding damage at the same time, it will one shot the smaller dinos even with splash damage, and the bigger ones go down with a few clips. I jump back in every few months to see what changed. They've been adding a bunch of content in the way of extra side missions, contracts, etc. and the difficulty of the zones changes every week. But, it does get repetitive and there is a level cap that you can hit fairly quickly.

I would assume this is fixed on Xbox, but there is no in game chat options. No voice, no text. Playing with randoms is an exercise in frustration. Oh, and you can't see player names in steam overlay so you can't even do a steam voice call or message them to join a discord. You always get guys running off in the opposite direction getting killed and quitting. But it is fun with friends.

If anyone is wondering about the general setup of the game, it's PVE, with no team damage. You choose a hero, they each have a special ability, some classes have exclusive weapons. You choose a mission and air drop down to the map. The map is divided into regions, and the difficulty of those regions changes every week based on worldwide player activities. One deployed you can unlock respawn and extraction points, and retrieve "supplies" that add to your mission total. There are radar beacons and drones that you access and they mark locations of respawn / extraction / supplies on your map. You run around the map shooting dinos and complete your mission, and the missions are all different. Some have you stealing TRex eggs, some have you repairing drop ships, and some have you collapsing mines where dinos are spawning. Oh, and there are random tasks along the way. Trap some dinos, collect some eggs, extract gas canisters, stuff like that. When you complete the mission, you head back to an extraction point, activate a beacon and hold off waves until a drop ship arrives. And then back to the lobby. You get XP for the missions, and you get research points and materials from dino kills, and you spend that on weapon upgrades. You can pick contracts, which are mini goals like "Kills with the shotgun", and they reward you with materials also.

Gameplay sessions can be quick, or long. It depends how much you want to get done before you extract. And if the random guy you are playing with wants to take off and not extract.

Played this Sunday with my bud. It got fun once we started figuring it out. Was kinda confusing at first & the connection issues didn't help. Being in preview we could see where they have some issues that need some work. Bullet sponge is right. I had to go to the heavy character instead of the sniper that I usually go for. They recently added a new heavy character evidently. Anyway, we're always looking for co-op games like this. We've played Borderlands 1-3, Outriders, Zombie Army 4, Torchlight 3, Minecraft Dungeons & Deep Rock Galactic. So you can tell we like cringe & the more merrier. LOL Great thing about Game Pass is finding these co-op hidden gems. I'm sure we'll play some more, but kinda wished it didn't launch until it was ready. We've done that with a few preview titles before & got burnt out before it was done & then never returned to it.

Tommy McClain

Back