Auto-HDR preview for PC [2021-03-17]

Interesting how they implemented it on PC since it doesn't have the customized hardware the Series consoles have.
I wonder how they are going to implement the calibration. Their calibration app for W10 is going to tell you the actual nits peek of your display, actual contrast and help you with middle tones -Paper White calibration- and color saturation.

In the video they mention that if your display's HDR data is wrong, including EDID's data, like in the case of my monitor as of now, they are goign to expose the fixed data to the system APIs.

This could potentially fix some HDR issues I have with my monitor, like Gamebar or any other HDR utility taking washed out HDR captures 'cos of my monitor's EDID wrong values.

From the DisplayHDR Test app by Vesa -W10 store-. These are my monitor's EDID -wrong values- (min luminance is equal to max luminance and average luminance is less than the luminance of a 80nits LCD screen) :mrgreen: . This causes some issues with HDR.

unknown.png

Right values, same monitor from a colleague of mine to whom I recommended the monitor a few months ago. He sent me this screenshot after I asked.

unknown2.png

Kaldaien, the creator of SpecialK (the auto hdr mod featured in a DF video helped me when I explained him my case in Discord.

I also joined the official DirectX 12 discord server, and people there tried to help me too.

Kaldaien gave a temporary fix when SpecialK is enabled, a very smart one.

If the min luminance is higher than the average luminance, he swaps the EDID's values around in SpecialK. Works like a charm. :mrgreen:

Also contacted Dell and they offered me a replacement :cool:

if your display's HDR data is wrong, including EDID's data, like in the case of my monitor as of now,
That happened to me I had a 22" 1680x1050 monitor that had the EDID from a 24" 1080p monitor it didnt cause me any problems until I used Eyefinity and couldn't enable bezel correction because the amd drivers were convinced one of my monitors was a different resolution.

That happened to me I had a 22" 1680x1050 monitor that had the EDID from a 24" 1080p monitor it didnt cause me any problems until I used Eyefinity and couldn't enable bezel correction because the amd drivers were convinced one of my monitors was a different resolution.
yes, that's why you can never trust EDIDs.

They can tell outright lies. I've seen EDIDs of non certified HDR monitors shared on discord, where pseudo HDR monitors not very HDR compatible reported max luminance nits of 1400nits and 1600 nits respectively :LOL::mrgreen: .

Also the author of SpecialK had an issue with a monitor of his, a 360Hz monitor, a beast. He had an issue with the name of the monitor in the EDID, it wasnt reported correctly. Not a big issue, but well....

Last edited:
in the end the EDID issue turned out to be a recently discovered Windows DXGI bug. Dell sent me a more modern version (firmware wise at least) of my monitor 'cos of that, so it was worth it.

Tested other games and NBA 2k21 works very well with Auto HDR.

Back