Aya Neo, portable PC. 650gr, only 139 available worldwide. The dreamed portable console?

Cyan

orange
Legend
Supporter
Here you can see it running Horizon Zero Dawn smoothly.

AYA NEO - Horizon Zero Dawn - YouTube

AYA-NEO-Founder-Photos-3.jpg

*Sheesh*
I d love to have one but that price.....

Yup. $500 I would have bought in a heart beat. $600 i could still talk myself into for the 1TB but at this price I rather just wait and see if the dell ufo comes out . I dunno mabye if this had an apu with navi 2 in it

etaprime gives it a 30watt tdp in dock mode. Really nice.

Something like this with a future zen and navi that supports super resolution could be a really potent machine

Last edited:
I think it's a bit of a shame they didn't get a Ryzen 4800U in there, at least as a more expensive option. Those 6 CUs in the Ryzen 4500U are coming up a bit short.
The form factor is top notch IMO, though. I think this is exactly what I'd want as a portable gaming PC. I'd pay a lot for this thing but with a 96EU Tiger Lake.

We also need to see what the hell Van Gogh is all about. Zen2 CPU with a RDNA2 iGPU and LPDDR5 at 9-15W sounds like the ideal SoC for something of this size.
At some point I saw news that Van Gogh had been scrapped due to non-available allocation at TSMC, but the newest Linux drivers keep bringing updates for it.

I think it's a bit of a shame they didn't get a Ryzen 4800U in there, at least as a more expensive option. Those 6 CUs in the Ryzen 4500U are coming up a bit short.
The form factor is top notch IMO, though. I think this is exactly what I'd want as a portable gaming PC. I'd pay a lot for this thing but with a 96EU Tiger Lake.

We also need to see what the hell Van Gogh is all about. Zen2 CPU with a RDNA2 iGPU and LPDDR5 at 9-15W sounds like the ideal SoC for something of this size.
At some point I saw news that Van Gogh had been scrapped due to non-available allocation at TSMC, but the newest Linux drivers keep bringing updates for it.
maybe 2022 ? Would be the perfect time for a refresh of the aya also.

I'm pretty sure Van Gogh is 2021, as 2022 already sees a follow-up of Van Gogh called Dragon Crest.

Dragon Crest sounds like a respin of Van Gogh though, similar to Raven Ridge -> Picasso.

I've only heard Navi 2 apu in 2022. So maybe they canceled Van Gogh due to some problem and are just adding the fix into Dragon Crest ? Maybe the time frame of fixing Van Gogh would put it to close anyway and with limited 7nm fabs they are basically selling everything they make anyway

Those Rembrandts look really nice for an Aya update . 15 wat Zen3+ and Nav 2.... could almost be a portable xss

Gamers Nexus did a review. Looks like there are some low hanging fruit they can work on for a revision or upgrade next year with the new chips . Mostly the cooling fan is extremely loud. Seems like a more robust cooling could help

Also some of the neo drama is interesting. They apparently lost half the team because some wanted detachable controls. The size also changed to reflect that becoming closer to the switch size. I think for a respin or upgraded one they could go with a slightly bigger model and knowing that there wouldn't be removeable controllers they could design a more robust cooler from that.

Anyway its really interesting and I'm excited to see their next offering

The boost from Zen 3 would have really helped with performance .
I really don't think these are CPU limited. They're most probably GPU-limited, especially as GPU performance on Ryzen APUs has stagnated quite a bit because they've been using the same Vega architecture for the past 4 years since Raven Ridge. They upped the clocks when transitioning to 7nm but at the same time they made the iGPUs narrower.

I get that they've been mostly bandwidth limited, but Intel has largely surpassed AMD in iGPU performance with Tiger Lake. Van Gogh with a RDNA2 GPU should be the only APU that is equipped to surpass Tiger Lake but it seems Microsoft's Surface team owns it and at the moment they don't even know if they'll ever release an actual device with it.

I really don't think these are CPU limited. They're most probably GPU-limited, especially as GPU performance on Ryzen APUs has stagnated quite a bit because they've been using the same Vega architecture for the past 4 years since Raven Ridge. They upped the clocks when transitioning to 7nm but at the same time they made the iGPUs narrower.

I get that they've been mostly bandwidth limited, but Intel has largely surpassed AMD in iGPU performance with Tiger Lake. Van Gogh with a RDNA2 GPU should be the only APU that is equipped to surpass Tiger Lake but it seems Microsoft's Surface team owns it and at the moment they don't even know if they'll ever release an actual device with it.

zen 3 designs would have given them the option of more cores at the same TDP . I think however the big bump will be when they get an apu with rdna 2 , hopefully next year

zen 3 designs would have given them the option of more cores at the same TDP . I think however the big bump will be when they get an apu with rdna 2 , hopefully next year
Yes, but for example Van Gogh probably has a significantly higher gaming performance with a RDNA2 GPU but it reportedly uses Zen2 cores. And given its projected TDP there's a good chance it has a quad-core CPU to accommodate for a more powerful GPU.

Yes, but for example Van Gogh probably has a significantly higher gaming performance with a RDNA2 GPU but it reportedly uses Zen2 cores. And given its projected TDP there's a good chance it has a quad-core CPU to accommodate for a more powerful GPU.

rembrant would have even better gaming performance with its 6nm zen 3+ / rdna 2

rembrant would have even better gaming performance with its 6nm zen 3+ / rdna 2
Yes of course, but that's probably mid-2022, it's a year away from release at best.
Though if Aya Neo 2 is coming out in H2 2022, it's a good upgrade path indeed.

Yes of course, but that's probably mid-2022, it's a year away from release at best.
Though if Aya Neo 2 is coming out in H2 2022, it's a good upgrade path indeed.

Yea at this point i wouldn't spend $700 on a aya neo with the new chips from amd dropping next year. I think just being on the wrong side of rdna 2 would be a mistake imo. Ideally a Aya Neo 2 with a Rembrandt U ( 8core zen 3+ rdna 2) with a small amount of infinity cache (64-96MB) could be a really good portable system that mimics what a series s does.

I am hopeful that the team behind this is using it to learn from their mistakes and are planning a upgrade next year or early 2023 using something like Rembrandt.

Back