HDMI 2.1 chip used in many AVRs probably buggy

Google translation:

Sound United was the first manufacturer to announce a solution to the HDMI compatibility problem with its Denon and Marantz branded AV receivers.

Specifically, the problem lies in a faulty implementation of the FRL ("Fixed Rate Link") transmission method introduced with HDMI 2.1 in the AV receiver's HDMI chip. The devices work flawlessly with Sony's Playstation 5, as it uses the same method for HDMI 2.1 transmission as the XSX, but sends the video bits (to put it simply) in a different pattern over the lines.

Sound United now wants to provide a new "HDMI adapter" SPK618 as a solution to the compatibility problem with its Denon and Marantz AV receivers, which will be delivered in Europe from the end of May. Affected customers in Germany, Austria and the Netherlands will receive the low-profile box for connection to the AV receiver free of charge during the warranty period. The processing takes place via a special website from Denon (support) and Marantz (support) , which will go online in mid-May.

According to Sound United, the Denon and Marantz brand AV receivers have been produced with a revised and therefore error-free HDMI chip since April. An exchange is not necessary here. Whether buyers have acquired one of the affected devices is therefore checked on the addressed websites.

upload_2021-4-27_8-6-56.png

I wish we could just get products with separate HDMI outputs for audio/video. It would probably be best to send the video straight to the TV anyway.

Last edited:
But then you run into eArc issues for audio.

I wish we could just get products with separate HDMI outputs for audio/video. It would probably be best to send the video straight to the TV anyway.
You can buy device to separate them.
Although the only equipment that seems to be 2.1 out there are cables you may run into that problem.

In windows it result in issues

1. Need to use multiple display mode (clone or extend)
2. The default audio output device keeps randomly switching between TV and avr every reboot
3. Windows randomly forgot or dupe the custom name you've set every reboot
4. Windows randomly forgot the audio config every reboot

In windows it result in issues

1. Need to use multiple display mode (clone or extend)
2. The default audio output device keeps randomly switching between TV and avr every reboot
3. Windows randomly forgot or dupe the custom name you've set every reboot
4. Windows randomly forgot the audio config every reboot
I do this with my TVPC. With NVidia you can disable audio per output in their control panel. But yeah you need to run it as a second monitor and this causes games to sometimes irritatingly come up on the wrong output.

Back