Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Seriously impressive, and theres something the other consoles simply cannot pull off.
ehh, I'm not sure about that.
The Medium pulled that off pretty effectively as well. There is a particular chase sequence there that is flipping between astral and real world that was every bit as impressive since it kept going back and forth.

spoiler alert -- but man, did my heart rate monitor go up on this one:

Is it just my impression or did they increase overall IQ between last year's trailer and now?

ehh, I'm not sure about that.
The Medium pulled that off pretty effectively as well. There is a particular chase sequence there that is flipping between astral and real world that was every bit as impressive since it kept going back and forth.

spoiler alert -- but man, did my heart rate monitor go up on this one:

i don't think it's exactly the same, it looks more like both worlds are stored in ram in the medium, rahter than constantly loading two radically different levels.

no, in ratchet it's loading another level / world, and that's why there still a little delay, it's not instant like the the medium.
Does not mean the XsX could not do something similar, but the gameplay mechanic in the medium is different, you can play in both world in a split screen, that's also why devs said they could not do 60fps (on XsX), because of 2 worlds rendered at the same time.

yea, isn't that the same as what's in (that particular) the tweet?

Agree, it's gotta have both in RAM otherwise you wouldn't have that transitional scene in other parts of the game.

no, in ratchet it's loading another level / world, and that's why there still a little delay, it's not instant like the the medium
I mean in that tweet, it's the same level, when the hammer hits, just redone. You can see the tracks for the rail and the main building in the centre are the same. Just sorta modified.

though, I understand what you mean by the load level in and out part. That's a different type of transition than the one shown here.

Last edited:
I mean in that tweet, it's the same level, when the hammer hits, just redone. You can see the tracks for the rail and the main building in the centre are the same. Just sorta modified.

Insomniac games engine lighting is not partially precomputed. In Spiderman you don't have a weather system. It means they need to reload all the textures. They keep the same geometry but reload all the texture and load flying car.

yea, I think it's got to have both in RAM. But I do believe yea that has to be part of the solution, even for what we see in R&C

It doesnt really matter how they do it, the end user doesnt care what ram and ssd parts are used and to what extend. Using RAM is imo the better option if you can anyway, its magnitudes faster, for one.

Other than those tracks and obviously the character, it seems like all the other assets are significantly different.

Screenshot_20210426-191012_Telegram.jpg

Screenshot_20210426-191041_Telegram.jpg

Other than those tracks and obviously the character, it seems like all the other assets are significantly different.
I think the question is just whether or not they had this in memory, or if they really did unload all memory and load in all memory. I think for this type of portal event, this was stored in memory. The other ones, I think they do a world unload. How close the assets are, probably aren't all that important - it's likely a game play mechanic here to show that you fixed this world - so it can't be too different; the thing in the middle stays, the track stays, the little factory under the tracks stay, the platform your standing on stays etc.
I very well believe they could have done a complete world swap if they wanted to.

I think we're just looking at some really smart usage of memory, asset streaming and the SSD. What I mean to say is that I don't think SSD alone was the enabler for this particular effect. I have a feeling they were likely preloading into memory before the hammer, so at some point when you're within (X) distance of hammer, start loading assets into memory as required for instance and do the flip over on hammer sequence.

Back