Returnal (Housemarque) [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
Well Demon Souls PS5 was actually very easy compared to many other games. And by far the easiest Souls game. Returnal has some permanent upgrades that carry over. I’m thinking this is just like Dead Cells which was a fabulous game, but definitely not for everyone.
You keep story progression items that you need to navigate the world. You don’t keep weapon proficiency. There are permanent weapon mods that change how your weapon shoots but nothing that makes subsequent runs easier imo (out of all things these are the most pointless thing to keep because the mods only take ~10 kills per weapon to unlock). Everything useful is lost (all your health upgrades, weapon proficiency, other stat increases).
Demon Souls is probably easy compared to Bloodborne or Sekiro but still hard generaly comparing to avarage game and too hard for many ;)

A-HA! So once you beat a level's boss, you don't have to beat him again on following runs - it's optional - you can just go through the next level etc. already making it much easier than Dead Cells, where you have to go through the whole thing, including bosses, on each run. Cool!

returnal_20210421213616.jpg

returnal_20210421022241.jpg

returnal_20210420223208.jpg

returnal_20210420215849.jpg

returnal_20210423021101.jpg

returnal_20210423021704.jpg

I think it looks really great, but then again I'm a sucker for particle effects.
Looks good to me. I'll be there, though not likely at launch, too worried I'll be frustrated.

also, HZD is free till May 4th. Forgot about this because I haven't turned on my PS5 for some time.

This looks like a really well done game. I just don't think people will like what they are getting if they aren't already into these types of games. I see Hades, Ikuraga and Metroid here. Most people won't trudge through these games because of said difficulty. The particle effects and such are top shelf stuff from Housemarque but I think a demo would be the best play but I also believe that a demo would suppress sales too.

This looks like a really well done game. I just don't think people will like what they are getting if they aren't already into these types of games. I see Hades, Ikuraga and Metroid here. Most people won't trudge through these games because of said difficulty. The particle effects and such are top shelf stuff from Housemarque but I think a demo would be the best play but I also believe that a demo would suppress sales too.

The Souls series have huge following - to the point where you wonder if it's really niche - and I think it's hard to believe this could be worse than those games.
I'm also seeing some people claiming the difficulty aspect of the game is being overblown by some reviewers.

Lastly, as someone who just finished a NG+ on Demon's Souls PS5, I hope it's got nothing to do with that. There's a bunch of mechanics in the Souls genre that seem built just to generate frustration and make people lose time.

Best video I’ve seen so far - gotta love these guys

Indeed I’ve learnt more about the game than anything before. Though the initial videos probably also weren’t allowed to do more than show the first something minutes.

Cute that the teleport invulnerable use as weapon mechanic from Stardust is back again.

Indeed I’ve learnt more about the game than anything before. Though the initial videos probably also weren’t allowed to do more than show the first something minutes.

Cute that the teleport invulnerable use as weapon mechanic from Stardust is back again.

The teleport particle effect they show and talk about at the very end is insane. Not the dash, the actual teleport ability you unlock at some point where you stand in a big blue ball.

Back