Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
That can't be real-time rendering for parts of that, surely?
"Mix of gameplay and cinematic footage, caputred on ps5", possible that some cutscenes are not realtime edit: confirmed by insomniac dev that all was real time

Last edited:
30fps can really make a big difference graphically. You're seeing a big jump in quality per pixel.

I can't get over how insanely good that looks.

Next-gen starts here, I guess.

30fps can really make a big difference graphically. You're seeing a big jump in quality per pixel.

Wasn’t this 60fps with no RT? And 30 with RT?
They managed to squeeze 60 with RT in Miles Morales, let’s see what they came up with here. Either way it will look insane in all modes.

Wasn’t this 60fps with no RT? And 30 with RT?
They managed to squeeze 60 with RT in Miles Morales, let’s see what they came up with here. Either way it will look insane in all modes.
I dunno. All I know is that particular video was 30fps. And a long time ago, I recall reading that comment from a developer that nothing will ever compare with 30fps titles because there is a fixed amount of time to render a frame (say 8-11ms) and the remaining time to make things look amazing, is like 0 for 120fps titles, 5-8ms for 60fps titles, and 24ms for 30fps titles. And that's why 30fps titles have a remarkable boost in quality per pixel over 60fps. Nearly 3-5x more quality if you think about it as the back half and post processing is what is driving up the image quality.

I have no reason to believe that this is pre-rendered on engine; this is more than likely to me, real time.

only on performance mode =P and what was shown here may not have been.

I don't know if they made cutscenes 30fps and the gameplay 60fps however, I guess we will need to wait to find out more in 3 days, as that would be also possible. Halo 5 and Gears 4/5 did this, and cutscenes had a remarkable uptick in quality over the gameplay mode.

I guess what you're asking me is whether or not this is 1440p at 60fps with all the goodies on. ie. Demon's Souls. And it runs 4K30 or something as the non-performance mode.

Demon's Souls was extremely impressive at 1440p60 - and if you guys feel this looks a head and shoulder above Demon's Souls, then I would say perhaps less likely then. But if you feel its around the quality of Demon's Souls, then, yea, I suppose 1440p60 is certainly possible.

I think it's the best looking game I've seen to date - will need to play this on my B7 to really see the quality differences here. Uncalibrated 1080p SDR monitors with youtube compression just won't cut it.

Last edited:
Thinking about it, it’s crazy how it’s been 6 months and really, Demon Souls is so far the only game I can think of that was made for PS5 to take advantage of the new platform. Everything else I’ve played on it has been a PS4 game - either via BC or a souped up version of a PS4 game like Miles. No wonder we’re surprised now that we start seeing games like R&C really pushing things forward. Can’t wait!

Thinking about it, it’s crazy how it’s been 6 months and really, Demon Souls is so far the only game I can think of that was made for PS5 to take advantage of the new platform. Everything else I’ve played on it has been a PS4 game - either via BC or a souped up version of a PS4 game like Miles. No wonder we’re surprised now that we start seeing games like R&C really pushing things forward. Can’t wait!
its certainly been a long time since anything of that caliber has come by. I think the Medium was also pretty good for a studio of their size and talent, but the difference in polish, quality and budget is noticeable.

Yea, a lot of titles we've seen so far released this transitionary period has largely been: double the pixel count of last generation titles combined with double the framerate. And then they shipped it. That was a very quick way to eat up those available cycles of these new machines.

It perhaps is a testament to the quality of 30fps titles, that last generation consoles can stick around provided the resolution holds around 1080p and the fps can hold a steady 30. We will see the largest gap in quality when something similar happens on this generation: 1440p30fps.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ratchet-clank-rift-apart-–-gameplay-trailer-i-ps5.415899/post-63669612

From the Insomniac community manager gameplay and cinematics are realtime

vlcsnap-2021-04-26-08hykw5.png

vlcsnap-2021-04-26-08bzj1p.png

unknown.png

vlcsnap-2021-04-26-10l0ko0.png

vlcsnap-2021-04-26-10dhje5.png

vlcsnap-2021-04-26-10f8k11.png

vlcsnap-2021-04-26-10ppkjn.png

vlcsnap-2021-04-26-1043kq8.png

vlcsnap-2021-04-26-0819kyb.png

Back