Star Citizen, Roberts Space Industries - Chris Roberts' life support and retirement fund [2012-]

I was watching this tonight and couldn't help but think of how much better Star Citizen would have been if they stuck with Crytek and Cry engine instead of going to Amazon's fork of it with lumberyard and then star engine .

From what I understand RSI forked off CryEngine a long time before they officially moved to Lumberyard (which was really only a branding exercise). I also think they did a "hard" fork instead of keeping a patch set from the fork event.

They may have fixed some of their previous issues I guess but it's still DX11 and still suffers from issues with CPU multithreading. What CIG is doing with their branch and moving to Vulkan seems like a much better course of action than putting lipstick on a pig.

Except of course cig would have had access to all the work Crytek was already doing. So together they could have moved to a DX12 render instead of CIG putting lip stick on an even older pig. Remember the move to Vulkan for CIG is going to take years. They have no broken it up into steps on their road map.

It seems to be what Crytek is doing
https://www.cryengine.com/roadmap
Lists in 2021 include DX 12 improvements , Vulkan Mobile renderer

From what I understand RSI forked off CryEngine a long time before they officially moved to Lumberyard (which was really only a branding exercise). I also think they did a "hard" fork instead of keeping a patch set from the fork event.

It was always my understanding (and what Cryteks side of the lawsuit alleged i believe) is that the work CIG was doing was supposed to go into the main branch of the engine and that Crytek was also doing was being brought in. At the start of the project the two companies seemed to be close with a Crytek employee being part of the next great star ship panel.

But like I said here we are in 2021 and CIG is just now starting to switch to Vulkan and they have a huge amount of work to do and it may be years before they fully move to Vulkan and heck ironicly they may be the largest dev using it at that point

The work on Gen12 renderer/Vulkan has been going for a while. (Well over a year if I remember correctly.)
Pretty sure it is released within this year and I'm sure they want to get rid of the old one as soon as plausible.

It was always my understanding (and what Cryteks side of the lawsuit alleged i believe) is that the work CIG was doing was supposed to go into the main branch of the engine and that Crytek was also doing was being brought in. At the start of the project the two companies seemed to be close with a Crytek employee being part of the next great star ship panel.

Crytek pretty much imploded before the law suits, so any plans they had didn't come to fruition.

Crytek pretty much imploded before the law suits, so any plans they had didn't come to fruition.
plans didn't come to fruition because CIG left and went to amazon before they imploded.

I have always thought they should have went with unreal or another engine but they went with crytek and then jumped to amazon. I am sure at that point amazon was all about the new studios they were purchasing and what not. But we see how their gaming push has turned out.

plans didn't come to fruition because CIG left and went to amazon before they imploded.

I have always thought they should have went with unreal or another engine but they went with crytek and then jumped to amazon. I am sure at that point amazon was all about the new studios they were purchasing and what not. But we see how their gaming push has turned out.

Going to Amazon was just a PR/licensing deal. No code was changed AFAIK.

Going to Amazon was just a PR/licensing deal. No code was changed AFAIK.
The code they had access to change. Amazon only bought crytek up to a certain point. Any updates or changes to the engine crytek did afterwards was not included into lumberyard.

I have always thought they should have went with unreal or another engine

That alway smacked a bit of marketing to me. Part of their PCGamez moar power waffle during the Kickstarter. "Can it run Crysis" was still a thing. It also seems like Crytec developed the initial trailer as part of that deal?

The sad part seems to be that vanilla Cryengine was probably fine for the game they pitched before the stretch goals became daft.

Similar to Earth colliding with a black hole in the next 100 years.
SF8MzIP.gif

What do people think the chances are that a high quality, technically leading edge title materializes?

I suppose it's doing a lot in the background, but in some situations the performances are really bad for what you see.
Nothing "high quality' if the perfs are abyssimal vs the "reward" imo.

What do people think the chances are that a high quality, technically leading edge title materializes?

If the features all make it in then it should be a leading edge title in regards to game play. For a graphical show case they need to really dive deep into Crytek engine and fix the problem (problems crytek is fixing anyway)

What exactly do you mean here?

Sometimes with software licenses you get the source code at that moment and changes for a specified time range, usually 1 year is the standard thrown in. If you want updates further out, you need to purchase a support license for year 2, same with the following years. Sometimes software licenses only include Major versions, so if you acquired Version 2 you get updates for Version 2 but you don't get anything if there's a Version 3 -- think UE2 and UE3 and UE4 kind of level of major versions.

AFAIK, Amazon and CIG branched of CryEngine at the same point so that was the reason CIG could say that SC is based on Lumberjack. CIG could just dump the Lumberjack code in Perforce and then apply their own changes again.

What exactly do you mean here?

Sometimes with software licenses you get the source code at that moment and changes for a specified time range, usually 1 year is the standard thrown in. If you want updates further out, you need to purchase a support license for year 2, same with the following years. Sometimes software licenses only include Major versions, so if you acquired Version 2 you get updates for Version 2 but you don't get anything if there's a Version 3 -- think UE2 and UE3 and UE4 kind of level of major versions.

AFAIK, Amazon and CIG branched of CryEngine at the same point so that was the reason CIG could say that SC is based on Lumberjack. CIG could just dump the Lumberjack code in Perforce and then apply their own changes again.

Brit summed up your first question

I will just say this. Crytek makes good engines. The cryengine had a lot of cpu issues but of course that is a product of its time and a lot of engines had this issue. CIG liscensed the engine around the time of Kickstarter so 2012. They were working hand in hand and CIG developers appeared on the next great starship show that CIG was putting on for backers. Amazon Announced Lumberyard in 2016. CIG announced the move to Lumberyard in 2016 https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...dron-42-Utilize-Amazon-Lumberyard-Game-Engine

Now in some ways if your CIG this could be a smart move. Crytek was having financial troubles in 2014-2016 and Amazon was quickly becoming one of the biggest companies in the world. They were announcing new games and so for CIG I bet they thought well amazon will put a lot of muscle behind Lumberyard and all these teams will be able to add in tools , bug fixes , new features and so on to the engine. For cig it was the same engine they were using from Crytek anyway.

Remember in 2014 amazon announced a bunch of games and bought Double helix along with Twitch. But of all the games they announced it seems like the only one still being developed is New world.

Meanwhile it seems like Cryteks financial problems are behind them and in looking at the new Crysis remaster they have fixed a lot of crytek issues. With the lawsuit and everything that has gone on , I doubt either company will want to work together again and so CIG may be stuck on lumberyard which may also just get killed by amazon when they are fully bored with it.

I do not think CIG ever planned to merge Amazon's changes to Lumberyard. They did a hard fork of CryEngine and never looked back.

Last edited:
Have you read anything about SC using Direct Storage when available ? I mean it would make sense for this "game" , given all the streaming/background loading going on very often.

Back