I finally finished my gaming pc upgrade.

Rootax

Veteran
Hello everyone,

I don't have questions or anything, but I guess I just wanted to talk about my upgraded gaming pc :D

I don't upgrade that often. My previous pc was based on a 5820k@4.2ghz all core, 32gb of ram (pc2400), and a Vega FE. And that was an upgrade from 5820k@4.2ghz+16gb+Fury X. I loved the 16gb of vram because I really felt burn by the Fury X 4gb when I played with mods, or tweaking some game engines. Witcher 3 was a big factor. Perfs were good, but you can feel a lot of "stutters" when the game/driver swapped assets in an out. Same with Fallout 4. So I went all in with Vram at the time :eek:

Anyway. Years passed, and the 5820k (which was my best cpu ever, it lasts a loooong time) was a little short for some encoding tasks, compilation tasks, and in some games. Same thing with the Vega. Some current gen engines really don't like this arch.... So I decided to upgrade.

My first though for the cpu was, I need to double the raw power, especially for encoding. So 12 cores was a safe bet. I looked at the 5900x, this thing is a beast, buuuut, can't buy it here at the time, or way overpriced... And the x570 plateform lack some pci lanes for my tastes&needs. So I made a odd move on paper, to an already dead plate form, x299 and a 10920x. We all know it's not the best at benchmarks&stuff, but it checks all my boxs. And it's was available.

I'm really happy with it. The max TDP of 165w (and 1.25x that for short boost duration) really killed the performances, but I've a good WC loop, so... Nothing crazy, the 2 favored core runs up to 4.8ghz, the other ones 4.6ghz (4.2ghz on avx2, 4ghz on avx 512). And I limited the total cpu power to 275w (which is hit sometime in avx512 workload hitting every cores). It's really working well and better than the default settings of course.

And the quad channel is nice as usual... 100gb/s read , around 85gb/write, etc, you know the numbers... I won't hit bandwidth bottleneck soon...

For the gpu part, damn that was hard to get one, but I receive a MSI 3090 Suprim X. Don't ask for the price please. I've money, but I still feel shame you know :eek: (It's was not a crazy ebay / scallper price, but over msrp of course : / )

After a few hours getting used to the nvidia ecosystem vs amd ecosystem, it's working great. In games that were hitting the CPU AND the GPU hard, I've more than double my performances, by a lot ( I play 3440*1440 ultrawide). And I'm ready for RT and DLSS.

No surprise with the 3090 performances, but I'm really happy with the 10920x. Yeah, pci-e 3, but Resizeable bar was added recently, and I don't think pci-e 4&5 will be needed very soon. And for gaming, i'm still on a sata ssd... no big differences with nvme for now, so i doubt there will be between gen3 and gen4 in real situations.

So, long read, just to say than I'm more than happy :D It's not about what is the best number wise, but what is the best for your needs.

I'm 37 now, but when I pushed the button and did my first tweak/benchs, I was like my younger self being amazed by my PowerVR PCX 2 running Ultimate Race, my geforce 256 sdr running t&l demos, etc. Even if I use it for productivity things now, having a new toy is always nice :D

Sorry for the long read :)

PS : my Fury X and Vega FE were both watercooled in my custom loop. But it was complicated to maintain... So the 3090 is out of the loop now. The 0 rpm mode when the card is not used is nice.

Last edited:
congrats! now you can mod skyrim until it looks like a next, next-gen game with next gen AI and NPCs in one screen. Or skyrim will still take down the performance to single digits? hahaha

btw with that GPU, do RT still requires DLSS for high frame rate?

For the gpu part, damn that was hard to get one, but I receive a MSI 3090 Suprim X. Don't ask for the price please. I've money, but I still feel shame you know :eek: (It's was not a crazy ebay / scallper price, but over msrp of course : / )

SO AT WHAT PRICE DID YOU GOT IT? :p

congrats! now you can mod skyrim until it looks like a next, next-gen game with next gen AI and NPCs in one screen. Or skyrim will still take down the performance to single digits? hahaha

btw with that GPU, do RT still requires DLSS for high frame rate?

SO AT WHAT PRICE DID YOU GOT IT? :p

I just tried a quick CP2077 session, and the answer is yes, as most benchmarks are showing. Now, it's not horrible , I'm around 40-50 fps but it was in a pretty quiet area. With DLSS Quality, perf went around 80-85fps. A little blurry, I'll play with the sharpening filter when I decide to start the game :)

I just realized that Vega Fe got 16GB of vram. It would be a bliss for machine learning stuff.

I only have 6GB Vram and it's pain in the rear lol. Need to chop off work into blocks... Or do work at lower resolution... Then it runs and turns out nope, still need to chop it into smaller blocks or work at even lower resolution.

I though 6GB of vram was a lot when I bought it lol. My gpu before it only got like 1GB vram.

Now this makes me wonder why Google Colab pro is not available in my region... Colab free is available but the 12 hrs limit is also a pain.

Whoooops. Im rambling, again.

How much do you want for the Vega?!?! :O

You really want a Vega FE in 2021 ? :D
It's not for sell, sorry. I don't have the stock cooler anymore, and like the Fury X, I like the look of the card, so I'll clean the die/hbm2 and expose it on a shelf :)

Edit : now, If you have a Videologic Neon 250, maybe we can trade :eek:

Last edited:
Vidéo logic neon 250?????!!!! That makes me remember the Kyro vga cards that were amazing for a very few games that supports "bump mapping".

First time seeing walls and floors/grounds no longer flat textures was awesome (they were still flat, but less flat)

Yeah, I was a PowerVR guy back in the day. I still have my Pcx2, but like a moron I don't have the Neon 250 anymore, and it was pretty rare :/

You really want a Vega FE in 2021 ? :D
It's not for sell, sorry. I don't have the stock cooler anymore, and like the Fury X, I like the look of the card, so I'll clean the die/hbm2 and expose it on a shelf :)

Edit : now, If you have a Videologic Neon 250, maybe we can trade :eek:
I got an 8GB RX580, I don't THINK I'm kidding...

All I got of interesting pretty is a non-functional Gemini and a working R9 295x2.

EDITED BITS: I don't mean to pressure you, I was half-joking. The other half was this bit in me that's annoyed I can't upgrade my GPU as planned so I'm keeping my eyes open for ANYTHING available! ;)

Last edited:
I got an 8GB RX580, I don't THINK I'm kidding...

All I got of interesting pretty is a non-functional Gemini and a working R9 295x2.

EDITED BITS: I don't mean to pressure you, I was half-joking. The other half was this bit in me that's annoyed I can't upgrade my GPU as planned so I'm keeping my eyes open for ANYTHING available! ;)

No pressure "taken" :)

As I said, even if I wanted to let this card go, I don't believe I've the stock cooler anymore :/

What happened to the Gemini btw ??

Back