LG OLED as PC Monitor: The bad and the good

https://fwd.nl/app/uploads/LG-OLED65G1RLA-pixels-1080x600.jpg
https://www.avsforum.com/attachments/screen-shot-2020-03-07-at-4-11-27-pm-png.2694776/

When I read some stuff from an older LG oled tech presentation (probably 2018-2019) it was all about sustained luminosity (shortening wiring distance to decrease dead space), though it is not clear to me why the chosen layout best achieves this. Text rendering and other high contrast edges on static images was probably way down the priority list of use cases to care much about.

My guess is they that they chose that particular arrangement due to how relatively bright each of the sub pixels are compared to each other. Blue appears the dimmest while white appears the brightest and then red and green are relatively similar. For best balance then, you'd want Red and Green on the edges with blue and white in the middle. How that impacts wiring distances, however? No idea.

Regards,
SB

https://fwd.nl/app/uploads/LG-OLED65G1RLA-pixels-1080x600.jpg
https://www.avsforum.com/attachments/screen-shot-2020-03-07-at-4-11-27-pm-png.2694776/

When I read some stuff from an older LG oled tech presentation (probably 2018-2019) it was all about sustained luminosity (shortening wiring distance to decrease dead space), though it is not clear to me why the chosen layout best achieves this. Text rendering and other high contrast edges on static images was probably way down the priority list of use cases to care much about.

Sure, they are intended for movies of course. And obviously the wiring and layout is what it is, but I feel it could be quite simple image processing feature to add as a new 'desktop graphics' mode; shifting the red value by one pixel to get effective WBGR.

So, finally got an LG CX and was starting to think that wow, the color shift on this thing on PC really does suck.

Turns out it's the fucking NV drivers fucking up again. At this point I really Really REALLY hate NV's crap driver quality.

So, I had a cable that worked fine before on the 1070, but then the driver just decided that it didn't want to do 4k/60 @ 444 chroma on it anymore. Tested it with my laptop and it did 4k/60 @ 444 chroma just fine. Got a freaking new cable and the NV driver was happy again.

Fast forward to today and I hook up the LG CX monitor, set it to PC mode and what do you know, the 1070 once again no longer wants to do 4k/60 @ 444 chroma. Try it with my laptop again and what do you know 4k/60 @ 444 chroma just fine.

What the F. are NV doing over there with the piles of cash they are making? Why are their drivers so freaking horrible??? AAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHH. I'm assuming I'm going to have to get yet another HDMI cable because for some god forsaken reason, NV has decided that when paired with a LG CX display that it won't do 444 chroma at 4k/60. Like seriously, WTF???

So yeah, I can't believe that NV driver writers are this bad when it comes to HDMI. Or maybe just their hardware is bad when it comes to HDMI, no clue. But it's frustrating as all freaking hell. And I can't even replace it at the moment because coin miners have made pretty much all graphics cards incredibly overpriced. AAAAAUUUUGGGGGHHHH...

Regards,
SB

Yeah Nvidia* gpu is so sensitive, it needs pristine good hdmi cable. Even worse when you are doing Dolby vision on it.

The image will be borked (full of pink and yellows) if you got a cable that didn't actually reach the certified requirement because the cable was bot certified / no brand.

There's a reason why Vincent on HDTV Test always mentions that he use CERTIFIED HDMI 2.1 HDR cables.

*maybe Nvidia only issue, or maaybe also happen on other gpu dunno. But the complains I've found on the internet only came from people with Nvidia gpu

Also laptops having a dual gpu arrangement (Intel integrated bugger and an external Nvidia, typically GTX10x0) have HDMI problems just like that, and not even 'proper' cables have full success rate. They must have marginal or maybe even incorrect signal timing or something like that.

Also laptops having a dual gpu arrangement (Intel integrated bugger and an external Nvidia, typically GTX10x0) have HDMI problems just like that, and not even 'proper' cables have full success rate. They must have marginal or maybe even incorrect signal timing or something like that.

Interestingly, on the Surface Book 2, all video (including the dedicated NV GPU) has to be routed through the Intel GPU. And here, all of my HDMI cables still happily provide 4k/60 @ 444 chroma on my displays unlike the @#$%@# GTX 1070. It's why I think there's something in the drivers that is fucking things up rather than the GPU. Especially since the GTX 1070 used to do 4k/60 @ 444 chroma on my display with the previous cables and then stop whenever I get a new display, forcing me to get a new cable.

I'll be extremely mad if the new cable I ordered ends up not working also.

Regards,
SB

One thing I have to say, as a PC monitor, it's still absolutely stunning how black is actually BLACK. After myriad MVA and IPS monitors over the years, it's shocking that there is absolutely ZERO backlight glow in dark room. It's even noticeable during the daytime since I have it side by side with a LCD display. Basically putting a MVA panel (best LCD panel if you want blacker blacks) next to it is like seeing an IPS panel next to a good MVA panel. Suddenly the blacks on the MVA panel look like the dark grey of an IPS panel.

It still catches me by surprise when I go off to get a cup of water and then I come back and I have no idea whether my primary (OLED) display is on or off. If you have a solid black background like me and don't just leave things on the main display (building habits to hopefully avoid burn-in for at least a few years) there is absolutely NO way to know if the display is on or off until you try to display something on the display.

It's both disconcerting and cool as hell. Also, LCD displays with local dimming suddenly look even MORE bad when side by side with the OLED display.

Regards,
SB

just encountered another "bad" thing that no reviews ever mention.

If you set your windows to turn off screen after X minutes, after windows turn screen off, LG OLED will silently do "auto pixel refresh" (i assume). I stupidly turned the TV off via remote control because i though the TV was off. The TV for less than 1 sec shows a white horizontal line going down, then it goes off.

When i turned on the TV, the whole screen was full of horizontal lines LOL. Turned it off again for ~30 minutes, and turned it on, voila it almost back to normal. Now only thin horizontal lines. Probably it will clear up by itself after i turned it off overnight tonight.

so, the protip is : do not set windows to auto turn of screen. just use a screensaver instead. hahaha

OK, after using this for a while, there is one thing that is a bit annoying but something I'll have to get used to.

In order to extend the life of the OLED pictures, LG OLED TVs have an automatic brightness limiter that kicks in if it determines that the screen has been mostly static over a given period of time. That's good in the sense that I want to extend the life of this display.

However, it's really aggressive and in will dim even while playing some games (if most of the screen in the game is static). Wouldn't be so annoying if you could easily get it out of ABL mode, but it can sometimes take a few seconds to get it to return back to nominal brightness. That said, most of the time just opening a new window (or in my case dragging a window from my side display to the OLED display) will almost instantly return it to nominal brightness.

Overall, however, the picture IQ of the set is so superior to any LCD on the market, that (for me) it's completely worth the hassle of having to periodically deal with the ABL of the display.

I am kind of curious as to whether Panasonic, Sony or Vizeo (I believe they all use LG OLED panels for their OLED sets) also have an aggressive ABL to help prevent long term burn in? If they don't they may be an alternative for someone that might find this more annoying than I do.

BTW - the ABL kicked in while typing this. :p

Regards,
SB

OK, after using this for a while, there is one thing that is a bit annoying but something I'll have to get used to.

In order to extend the life of the OLED pictures, LG OLED TVs have an automatic brightness limiter that kicks in if it determines that the screen has been mostly static over a given period of time. That's good in the sense that I want to extend the life of this display.

However, it's really aggressive and in will dim even while playing some games (if most of the screen in the game is static). Wouldn't be so annoying if you could easily get it out of ABL mode, but it can sometimes take a few seconds to get it to return back to nominal brightness. That said, most of the time just opening a new window (or in my case dragging a window from my side display to the OLED display) will almost instantly return it to nominal brightness.

Overall, however, the picture IQ of the set is so superior to any LCD on the market, that (for me) it's completely worth the hassle of having to periodically deal with the ABL of the display.

I am kind of curious as to whether Panasonic, Sony or Vizeo (I believe they all use LG OLED panels for their OLED sets) also have an aggressive ABL to help prevent long term burn in? If they don't they may be an alternative for someone that might find this more annoying than I do.

BTW - the ABL kicked in while typing this. :p

Regards,
SB

It can be disabled in the service menu but people says it voids lg warranty, didn't void 3rd party warranty. Lg and 3rd parties has never commented on that

I think whats needed to solve all the shortcomings is an oled monitor does anyone make them or are they all tv's ?

tv forgot to be turned off over night, now it got heavy horizontal banding even after auto pixel refresh.

EDIT

basically, I'm shooting myself in the foot ROFL.

I already know i got ridiculously bad luck with electronics, I already know LG OLED tech is still in the "early and unstable phase", but i still bought it.

having said that, in the morning when i saw the TV was ON, my heart did sank and instinctively check for burn in, etc, then turn it off for auto pixel refresh.

Back