Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
ou couple 1/2 the bandwidth rate with 1/2 the compression rate (80GB vs 50GB), PS5 should be up to ~3-4x ahead in loading times. Which we have not seen. It's that simple really since CPU speeds are comparable.
why would you think that eg hypothetical
A/ read stuff from disk/decompression = 1 second
B/ read stuff from disk/decompression = 0.1 second = 10x quicker
A/ do stuff with the data = 5 seconds
B/ do stuff with the data = 5 seconds

total A = 6 seconds, total B = 5.1 seconds not 3-4x quicker. https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/faster-than-means.62327/
i.e. you've got to look at everything its doing, even if it was a million times quicker reading data it wont change the outcome significantly

I saw from my YouTube channel that NX Gamer also covered.. a firmware update. A FIRMWARE update. :-|

why would you think that eg hypothetical
A/ read stuff from disk/decompression = 1 second
B/ read stuff from disk/decompression = 0.1 second = 10x quicker
A/ do stuff with the data = 5 seconds
B/ do stuff with the data = 5 seconds

total A = 6 seconds, total B = 5.1 seconds not 3-4x quicker. https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/faster-than-means.62327/
i.e. you've got to look at everything its doing, even if it was a million times quicker reading data it wont change the outcome significantly
And not to forget, that some things might be done in parallel. E.g. the 5 second "stuff-processing" of your example, might start after the first few bytes that got loaded from the SSD. So the loading-time advantage might be even smaller in this example.

PS4 Pro in Prioritize Screen Resolution Mode, PS5 with Ray Tracing On and PS5 with Ray Tracing Off all render at a resolution of 3840x2160 using what appears to be Checkerboard Rendering. There's noticeable ghosting on PS4 Pro that isn't present to the same extent on the other consoles. PS4 Pro in Prioritize Frame Rate Mode renders at a native resolution of 1920x1080. PS4 renders at a native resolution of 1600x900.
Stats: https://bit.ly/3gceknS

Performance is actually good in the RT mode. The minimum he found is 46fps (so actually higher than 45fps), but it's 59.53 fps on average and sustaining 60fps during 99.21% of the time which is the most important metric IMO.

The framerate is actually locked 60fps on PS5 with RT off. Both modes being 4K CBR.

As I thought previously the previous framerate video was not representative as he showed only the worst performing scenes.

Performance is actually good in the RT mode. The minimum he found is 46fps (so actually higher than 45fps), but it's 59.53 fps on average and sustaining 60fps during 99.21% of the time which is the most important metric IMO.

The framerate is actually locked 60fps on PS5 with RT off. Both modes being 4K CBR.

As I thought previously the previous framerate video was not representative as he showed only the worst performing scenes.
but what did rt mode change ? ;d will check in few minutes demo but I think 60fps rt off mode is way to play probably

ooof, not enjoying that very visible pop in here by the engine. Usually small things coming into view is generally harder to notice at a distance, but they have big chunks of level appearing dead center of view and rather what I would call, rifling distance.

Mortal Shell on PS5 using version 1.000.005 uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 3200x1800 and the lowest native resolution found being approximately 2304x1296. Temporal upsampling is used to reconstruct a 3200x1800 resolution when rendering natively below this resolution.
The lowest resolution found on PS5 was during the scene at 6:50 and the PS5 drops its resolution more in this scene than the Xbox Series X does. In the scene where the Xbox Series X dropped to its lowest resolution found which was approximately 2560x1440 the PS5 also dropped its resolution to approximately 2560x1440.

That's much better with DRS. Virtually identical to the XSX version now with a slighty better fps on PS5 and slighty better sustained res on XSX.

The PS5 edition seems to have better AF and texture streaming as well. Is the XBSX/S edition still suffering from torn frames?

Reactions: snc
Xsx fps graph is old. The same patch that fixed the S also fixed dips and texture streaming issues on X. Need another video to see if any DRS tweaks occurred on X.

Do you have a link to XBSX receiving a patch, because I'm still seeing people complaining about poor AF, streaming, and tearing on XBSX? The last patch for X was in March as far as I can see. The S had a patch recently though.

Do you have a link to XBSX receiving a patch, because I'm still seeing people complaining about poor AF, streaming, and tearing on XBSX? The last patch for X was in March as far as I can see. The S had a patch recently though.

There are no individual X/S patches. The perf and af issues being fixed on X is also via comments from other people. Hence we need a video to see what happened for the X.

There are no individual X/S patches. The perf and af issues being fixed on X is also via comments from other people. Hence we need a video to see what happened for the X.

Yeah, I don't see anything about X being updated or problems being resolved. Guess we'll have to wait for VG, DF, or NX to update us on any fixes.

Edit: If there was an update for XBSX... you would think VG would have included it in his last video on S being updated, from last week's video.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't see anything about X being updated or problems being resolved. Guess we'll have to wait for VG, DF, or NX to update us on any fixes.

Edit: If there was an update for XBSX... you would think VG would have included it in his last video on S being updated, from last week's video.

This is DF video from last month showing the texture streaming issues on X:
This is after the S patch, same cutscene on the X:

The streaming related stutters should also be fixed on the X par comments I recall, but I don't know if anything was done to the drs minimum.

Last edited:

maybe he wasn't aware that update affected both versions, as @Proelite already mentioned there re no seperate X/S patches

"The latest Xbox patch added a 60fps toggle for Series S, though Series X owners would've received an update too as they share the same build. Apologies for the confusion"

This is DF video from last month showing the texture streaming issues on X:
This is after the S patch, same cutscene on the X:

The streaming related stutters should also be fixed on the X par comments I recall, but I don't know if anything was done to the drs minimum.

Thanks! No mention of fixing the torn frames?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back