Dolby Atmos for headphones

homerdog

donator of the year
Legend
Supporter
I bought a new headset that came with 2 years of Dolby Atmos. You enable Atmos in the device properties in Windows. Some games have built in Atmos support like Overwatch. My question is, do I turn off Atmos in Windows when I turn it on in Overwatch? My google powers have failed me on this :(

I bought a lifetime license for $15 that works on Xbox and PC a number of years ago when it first came out.

I haven't used it on PC, so don't know the best way of dealing with it. I'd assume you want it on both levels.

Yes, anything with AVR support is free since the license is paid for by that device already. The cost for Dolby Atmos and DTSX is for Headphone support.

Questions about Atmos + DTSX
anyone tried them both how do they compare? and do the games have to be written to support them ?

ps: Is AMd TruAudio still a thing ?

You can give them a try yourself, both offer trials, and compare it with the free Windows Sonic.

Questions about Atmos + DTSX
anyone tried them both how do they compare? and do the games have to be written to support them ?

ps: Is AMd TruAudio still a thing ?

I think you got a few different things mixed up.

Please CMIIW

Atmos for headphones, dtsx for headphones, and windows sonic are surround sound mapper/translator for headphones. So 5.1ch, 7.2ch, etc are mapped into stereo channels, thus became surround headphone. Not just down mixed into stereo. I think this was called as matrix mixing or something.

True audio is a hardware thingy on amd for audio acceleration. So faster audio processing at higher quality and more objects?

A game will still need to be able to output surround sound with or without height sound to be mapped into surround headphones (via atmos, dts, windows sonic). Otherwise it will just stereo but sounds a bit different (due to the stereo being mapped into a surround space).

Yes, anything with AVR support is free since the license is paid for by that device already. The cost for Dolby Atmos and DTSX is for Headphone support.
How do they know you are using headphones. I understand how they would know on console, but on PC, could you just use a pair of those old surround sound headphones with individual jacks for each channels? I might have to find the pair I had 20 years ago to find out.

How do they know you are using headphones. I understand how they would know on console, but on PC, could you just use a pair of those old surround sound headphones with individual jacks for each channels? I might have to find the pair I had 20 years ago to find out.

Probably that will let the mixing/mapping/HRTF processing being done by the headphones chip instead of by windows

by headphones they mean standard stereo headphones
@orangpelupa i know TruAudio is not in anyway like the other things, just asking if games are still being released that support it
Pretty sure TruAudio is dead. Was it ever used in any games?

Anyway I guess I leave Atmos on in Windows even if a game has it built in.

From Wiki
The video games Murdered: Soul Suspect, Star Citizen, Thief and Lichdom: Battlemage (uses CryEngine) can be configured to use AMD TrueAudio if present.

by headphones they mean standard stereo headphones
Yeah, but does the not for headphones version only work with surround sound systems/multiple speakers? Or will it mix down and give you "3d" sound on stereo speakers?

Dolby Atmos / DTS:X for AVRs will send a bitstream that's encoded so you absolutely need some device capable of deciphering and decoding the stream.

Dolby Atmos / DTS:X for Headphones likely uses HRTFs to put out a stereo audio signal that your brain is tricked into thinking is actually 3D positional. If you use this stereo signal on non-headphones the HRTFS will be completely off so will likely not sound right and have no 3D positional effects.

Ahh, OK. So that's why it's "free" for the non-headset users, because a license is paid by the hardware that decodes it. That makes sense now.

You guys might want to take a look at HeSuVi. I've been playing around with it lately.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/hesuvi/
(also needs https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/)

I typically run an X-Fi card because of CMSS-3D for headphones, but this HeSuVi seems to simulate that very effectively on any old HDA chip. They have loads of stuff recorded and simulated. Even old DirectSound3D HRTF lol.

I have a suspicion that this isn't capturing everything about the various HRTF techs but it still sounds excellent and it's fascinating to be able to try so many different technologies.

It even has an auto-equalizer profile for my old Audio Technica ATH-AD700 headphones.

Last edited:
Back