CryptoCurrency Mining with GPUs *spawn*

Can I run it in a vm? Does the performance hit a lot?
Never tried running it in a vm.
You can use something like Hiveos and run it off a usb flash drive or usb ssd and you would just restart and boot into hiveos instead of windows. Should give you more safety

Never tried running it in a vm.
You can use something like Hiveos and run it off a usb flash drive or usb ssd and you would just restart and boot into hiveos instead of windows. Should give you more safety

does it support undervolting in any way? Even basic power limits for your card?

I’m thinking of a vm under windows. Nvidia drivers are supposed to support vms or something now. That way I can undervolt in windows and have the vm take advantage. Maybe a weekend project for me.

Last edited:
does it support undervolting in any way? Even basic power limits for your card?

I’m thinking of a vm under windows. Nvidia drivers are supposed to support vms or something now. That way I can undervolt in windows and have the vm take advantage. Maybe a weekend project for me.

Hiveos will allow you to undervolt / overclock and set fan profiles
upload_2021-4-9_13-12-40.png

This is what it looks like for my vega system.

Edit
Just want to say this is accessible from any web browser or their app. So you don't have to deal with linux. Its really easy to set up

Last edited:
Study reveals Cryptocurrency mining energy consumption in China alone will be higher than Italy in three years (guru3d.com)
80% of the world's crypto mining happens in China. Electricity consumption from China's Bitcoin mining operations will pass Italy's electricity consumption by 2024. That's what scientists say in Nature. "Without timely intervention, the climate efforts that the country did will be nullified," they say.
Four out of ten Chinese miners would use electricity produced from coal, the remaining 60 percent run on renewable energy. Due to the large share of coal-based energy consumption, the researchers argue that China's Bitcoin mining activities could nullify the climate efforts the country has already made. The researchers also expect that Chinese mining activities will only increase.

Hiveos will allow you to undervolt / overclock and set fan profiles
View attachment 5401

This is what it looks like for my vega system.

Edit
Just want to say this is accessible from any web browser or their app. So you don't have to deal with linux. Its really easy to set up

Are those settings for the GPU #0 - Vega 56 what you are using live because 40.52 MH/s is very low for a Vega 56?

I am getting 49.33 MH/s on Vega 56's with stock BIOS (118 watts) with these settings on mmpOS:

Core: 995 MHz
Mem: 950 MHz
Core Volt: 815 mv
Mem Volt: 875 mv
Tune: med (ethash)
Controls Fan by: agent

In MMPOS I selected the latest TeamRedMiner v0.8.1 for mining ETH

In the Rig Miner Configuration - default I have these settings:

Fan Management: agent (temperature based)
Mininum fan speed: 45%
Target temperature: 65c
Target Memory temperature: 75c

I also want to point out that mmpOS also allows accessible from any web browser. So you don't have to deal with linux. It is really easy to set up. I also like that you can put it on a USB stick and boot from it. All configuration is done via a browser.

Are those settings for the GPU #0 - Vega 56 what you are using live because 40.52 MH/s is very low for a Vega 56?

I am getting 49.33 MH/s on Vega 56's with stock BIOS (118 watts) with these settings on mmpOS:

Core: 995 MHz
Mem: 950 MHz
Core Volt: 815 mv
Mem Volt: 875 mv
Tune: med (ethash)
Controls Fan by: agent

In MMPOS I selected the latest TeamRedMiner v0.8.1 for mining ETH

In the Rig Miner Configuration - default I have these settings:

Fan Management: agent (temperature based)
Mininum fan speed: 45%
Target temperature: 65c
Target Memory temperature: 75c

I also want to point out that mmpOS also allows accessible from any web browser. So you don't have to deal with linux. It is really easy to set up. I also like that you can put it on a USB stick and boot from it. All configuration is done via a browser.

I can get better numbers off the vega 56 but as you can see its labeled living room. So my wife doesn't want the single fan on it sounding like a jet engine in the middle of our common area lol. But the new 3070 i put in her machine is doing 63Mh and the vega 56 will go in my brother in laws shed where he is building out a mining rig. He has two 580s so this vega 56 will be a nice surprise.

I don't really want to pay for a mining os because I only have the one gpu and it doesn't seem like it'd be worth the cost. Does anyone know if gpu passthrough works when running a linux vm on a windows host? It seems like the new nvidia drivers allow a linux host to run a windows vm with passthrough, just don't see anything about it working the other way.

I don't really want to pay for a mining os because I only have the one gpu and it doesn't seem like it'd be worth the cost. Does anyone know if gpu passthrough works when running a linux vm on a windows host? It seems like the new nvidia drivers allow a linux host to run a windows vm with passthrough, just don't see anything about it working the other way.
never tried but hiveos is free for 4 workers doing Eth
https://hiveos.farm/pricing/
$0/mo
Limited to 4 workers*
* mining Ethereum / Ethereum Classic on a non-Hiveon Pool costs $3 per rig
* 1 worker is always free
Limited to 4 workers
Limited features
3 days of stats
Community support

btw anyone tried converting ETH mining software into UWP app and run it on XSS or XSX in dev mode?

EDIT:
currently mining with nicehashquickminer on GTX 1660 Super and got 25-27MH/s (and ~29MH/s if on fresh reboot with nothing else running) running at 1380mhz core, 7601mhz ram.

other people says they got 30-31MH/s.... gotta try hiveos faster or not.

Last edited:
dunno about super but on my 1660ti i get 30mh with settings
  • Core Voltage (VDD): NA
  • Power Limit (%): 60% or 80 (W)
  • Core Clock (CClock): -200
  • Memory Clock (MClock): +900
  • Fan Speed (%): 70% or more/less based on your temps.

Haha hahaha I'm so stupid

Turned off Nvidia GeForce experience always recording thingy, now its 31mh/s

Hahaha

That's actually interesting. I would have thought it would only have an impact on system performance if you were running a game, or does it record your desktop? I have all of that stuff disabled, so I never would have noticed.

That's actually interesting. I would have thought it would only have an impact on system performance if you were running a game, or does it record your desktop? I have all of that stuff disabled, so I never would have noticed.

I set it to record everything including desktop because it keeps missing games. Probably because I play games in borderless fullscreen instead of exclusive fullscreen?

Ah probably simply because I'm a magnet for bugs LOL

is there a doge mining calculator? How many doge will a GTX 1660S gets? and what software to use? it seems Hive OS didn't have doge? I assume its because mining doge is still unprofitable despite the recent hike?

so, i'm trying to move away from nicehash, turns out its a headache.

• Ethermine pool have 1% fees, no payment fees, but lower per block reward. So good for frequent small payments. E.g. mining with 1x GTX 1660 S @ 30-31MH/s.
  • Flexpool have 0% fees, undisclosed payment fees, higher per block reward. So good for those with big money E.g. minng with multiple GPU with hundreds of MH/s.

any other pool? that works better for GTX 1660 S with 0.02 ETH payment target?

Back