Days Gone [PC Edition]

any info on whether they fixed the save game bug in PS4? Despite its making a new save file every time i pressed SAVE. It didn't actually save the game.

although with how long the bug has been (since launch), and sony didn't bother to fix it.... I'm skeptical they will fix it with PC version. Although probably modders will fix it in less than a month LOL.

EDIT

from googling around, its just the manual save that's broken. The checkpoint save and quick save (triangle on bike) are not broken.

I guess DXR has ruined a lot of games for me now...the lighting looks so last-gen....it just seems "off".
What UE4 games other than Gears 5 look as good? I think its one of the better looking open world games. Not as good as RDR 2 or HZD but easily better than something like Far Cry 5/AC titles.

What UE4 games other than Gears 5 look as good? I think its one of the better looking open world games. Not as good as RDR 2 or HZD but easily better than something like Far Cry 5/AC titles.

I don't see GoW 5 as looking "good" on the PC...but you just confirmed my point.
Non-RT games looks bland in 2021 :yep2:

Control
Cyberpunk 2077
Ghostrunner (UE4 game)
Minecraft (Yeah, that bloky games making "AAA" titles look like old tech...)
Quake II RTX
Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Those are the RT games I own that makes most UE4 games look like old tech.
There are a lot more games out there, but i only buy what I like so I have omitted BFV, COD, Deliver Us the Moon, The Medium
etc.
Now show me a UE4 game that has great lighting but not using DXR?

Control
Cyberpunk 2077
Ghostrunner (UE4 game)
Quake II RTX

There are a lot more games out there, but i only buy what I like so I have omitted BFV, COD, Deliver Us the Moon, The Medium
etc.

Not to forget community implementations, even vice city got RT.

Control
Cyberpunk 2077
Ghostrunner (UE4 game)
Quake II RTX

etc.
Minecraft and Quake 2 do not look modern at all despite being fully traced. None of the other games do anything for lighting via RT with the exception of Control, and that is extremely minor.

Reactions: snc
Minecraft and Quake 2 do not look modern at all despite being fully traced. None of the other games do anything for lighting via RT with the exception of Control, and that is extremely minor.

Minecraft rt managed to impress alot. Modern looking or not. Talking about PS5 versions of the other titles, yeah, they could aswell have opted for SSR effects.

I was talking about lighting in those games.
Do try to keep up.

So outside of Cyberpunk and Metro, what games do anything significant for lighting with RT?

I wouldn't use Metro for a good RT implementation. The lighting in that game is easily worse than any good non-RT game that actually tried to have good lighting. The non-RT lighting in Cyberpunk 2077 for example craps all over Metro: Exodus, IMO.

Control
Cyberpunk 2077
Ghostrunner (UE4 game)
Quake II RTX

etc.

Control has fantastic RT reflections but the RT doesn't do much for the lighting. Plenty of non-RT games match or exceed the lighting quality in Control. The latest Watch Dogs probably has one of the nicest looking RT lighting implementations.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
I would use Metro for a good RT implementation. The lighting in that game is easily worse than any good non-RT game that actually tried to have good lighting. The non-RT lighting in Cyberpunk 2077 for example craps all over Metro: Exodus, IMO.

Control has fantastic RT reflections but the RT doesn't do much for the lighting. Plenty of non-RT games match or exceed the lighting quality in Control. The latest Watch Dogs probably has one of the nicest looking RT lighting implementations.

Regards,
SB
Ya I was just using Metro because its 1 of only 2 modern looking games in existence that do anything worthwhile for lighting via RT. His claim that games without RT have "last gen lighting" is absurd. Especially given that he proceeds to list Ghostrunner and Tomb Raider as examples of games with lighting that don't look dated. I wonder if he thinks the UE5 demo has last gen lighting just because it doesn't use RT.

Ya I was just using Metro because its 1 of only 2 modern looking games in existence that do anything worthwhile for lighting via RT. His claim that games without RT have "last gen lighting" is absurd. Especially given that he proceeds to list Ghostrunner and Tomb Raider as examples of games with lighting that don't look dated. I wonder if he thinks the UE5 demo has last gen lighting just because it doesn't use RT.

Whooops typo. It was supposed to be, "I wouldn't use Metro..." The lighting in Metro was so inconsistent (RT outside, really crappy non-RT implementation indoors) that the RT lighting actually makes the lighting worse in that game.

I was actually surprised at how bad their non RT lighting was considering that in their previous games they had pretty decent lighting compared to the competition. But Metro: Exodus' non-RT lighting was WAY behind other AAA games.

I kind of wonder what happened there. I'm guessing they focused on RT and just didn't put enough people on implementing a good non-RT lighting solution for the game. And then that came to bite them in the ass when they ended up having to use it even with RT enabled.

Regards,
SB

imho DaysGone shit on Control graphics (rt doesn't change fact that game looks bland)

They have completely different settings. Days Gone uses an enhanced Unreal Engine 4 that was apparently optimized for outdoor landscapes (tone mapping on Days Gone is excellent), whereas Control is only indoors and set inside a particularly monotone gray building.
I think Control is monotonous by design, using an in-house engine by a comparatively small team. It doesn't seem like RT is particularly doing any miracles to Control though, that much is true IMO.
A lot of what's great in Days Gone are hand-tuned textures and shadowmaps, something which Remedy has less access to.

Reactions: snc
Back