Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I heard that but I haven't experienced it. If anything the only annoying black-crusher is still Destiny 2 in HDR.
It's true that with some games you may not notice it, but the game will probably look better with it disabled regardless. I didn't notice it until I got to The Order 1886. It makes that game even darker, more muted, and it breaks the game's brightness controls. In some areas it essentially becomes pitch black. Like get out your OLED and play in the middle of the night and maybe you can see some detail in the underground tunnels. Heh.

Last edited:
Installed the fw, all good. Played some games with my son. Turned ps5 off afterwards. Late night after everyone else sleeping turned it on for some res evil VIi. Got distracted by something else so had the ps5 on dashboard. Came back 30 minutes later and ps5 was in rest mode. OK fine turned it on but won't go pass the flashing blue light... Stuck there for several minutes. Press power button and no response. Press it again and keep pushing for 30 seconds and nothing. Eventually pulled out the power cable. Waited 60 seconds and pushed in power cable and turned it on. Now in 480p started to repair the database and giving some warning about not powering off the console properly... So the rest mode is still broken huh? First time I ever use it. Went in the system settings and disabled it.

Installed the fw, all good. Played some games with my son. Turned ps5 off afterwards. Late night after everyone else sleeping turned it on for some res evil VIi. Got distracted by something else so had the ps5 on dashboard. Came back 30 minutes later and ps5 was in rest mode. OK fine turned it on but won't go pass the flashing blue light... Stuck there for several minutes. Press power button and no response. Press it again and keep pushing for 30 seconds and nothing. Eventually pulled out the power cable. Waited 60 seconds and pushed in power cable and turned it on. Now in 480p started to repair the database and giving some warning about not powering off the console properly... So the rest mode is still broken huh? First time I ever use it. Went in the system settings and disabled it.

Been using restmode since release has worked without issues after one of the first fw updates.

Now in 480p started to repair the database and giving some warning about not powering off the console properly... So the rest mode is still broken huh? First time I ever use it. Went in the system settings and disabled it.

I think the general consensus is that persistent issues with rest mode are attributed to a hardware fault with the power management system. If it's the first time it's happened, maybe it's a fluke (a one off) but if it's happened before or it happens again then I would recommend you contact Sony to get your PS5 swapped. Like JPT I've been using rest mode since launch with no issues.

I recall a number of folks on ERA had repeated rest mode issues and everybody who reported back having contacted Sony confirmed they'd been advised to return the console for replacement.

Hi

It is the first time I get the issue. Maybe I have manually put it in rest mode in the past. But definitely first time I let the system go in to rest mode after x minutes (20 in this case) of inactivity. Been working fine since then but as rest mode is now disabled (when no activity) I haven't really tried that mode.

Yea I’ve had something similar. My rest mode generally is very stable, but a power outage hit me one time while it was resting and I had a similar outcome. As long as it repairs and works again forward you are good to go. But, yea it was a heart stopper for me as well when it happened.

It is the first time I get the issue. Maybe I have manually put it in rest mode in the past. But definitely first time I let the system go in to rest mode after x minutes (20 in this case) of inactivity. Been working fine since then but as rest mode is now disabled (when no activity) I haven't really tried that mode.

If you're worried about using rest mode in case you have a problem, look at like this. If your PS5 needs replacing, you're better off doing it now while it's under warranty. It's not going to magically get better. :nope:

But if you've had your PS5 a while and not have any previous issues, maybe it was a one-off.

Back