Xbox Series... M?

Aside from the impossible Series M, how happened that we were expecting something new?

No idea why people expected something new. The majority of device types are covered

Surface Go , Pro , X cover different sized tablets

Surface laptop go (12.3 inch) Laptop 4 (13.5/15 inch) cover laptops

Book is the convertible.

Surface Studio - desktop

Surface duo - dual screen phone

Surface Neo - upcoming dual screen tablet

So what else is left ?

Perhaps a more traditional desktop ?

Single screen phone ?

maybe a gaming laptop ? surface book that doesn't come apart ?

portable gaming device ? Although I expect this from xbox not surface.

Damn, that's a $3K starting price because for whatever reason they're bundling it with a 3090 RTX.

So, Asus just announced the 13" ROG Flow X13 will be shipping with a 3050 Ti. Based on the specs, I think it should deliver around Series S level performance, in an ultrabook form factor, with the advantage of having DLSS as well.

I was seriously considering the X13 (with the 3080 enclosure) when it had a 1650. I am still considering it now.

Runs Xb1s games natively and better than xb1s.
Next gen games only available via Xcloud streaming.
1080p screen.

Last edited:
What's stopping MS from releasing a cutdown Series S as the mobile variant?

Say 4 core Zen 2 CPU (with SMT) and 10 RDNA2 CUs at 2TF. Basically something that's powerful enough to run Xbox One games via VM? Something like this should be significantly cheaper and smaller than Series S no?

What's stopping MS from releasing a cutdown Series S as the mobile variant?

Say 4 core Zen 2 CPU (with SMT) and 10 RDNA2 CUs at 2TF. Basically something that's powerful enough to run Xbox One games via VM? Something like this should be significantly cheaper and smaller than Series S no?

Overkill for Xbox One games. Can't run Series S games. So too pricey and not powerful enough at the same time.

Developers will patch their existing games and also add yet another target platform for their unreleased games. Considering the low userbase of the M, most devs won't bother and you have underutilized handheld that's too pricey as a result.

If MS has a mobile it'll strictly have the same exact profile as either the One S or S, or be Xcloud only.

Overkill for Xbox One games. Can't run Series S games. So too pricey and not powerful enough at the same time.

Developers will patch their existing games and also add yet another target platform for their unreleased games. Considering the low userbase of the M, most devs won't bother and you have underutilized handheld that's too pricey as a result.

If MS has a mobile it'll strictly have the same exact profile as either the One S or S, or be Xcloud only.
Thanks for the input. I was thinking XB1 games wouldn't need patches due to VM and developers would just code for XB1 as is to reach both markets. MS can already run 4 XB1 VMs on Series X. But perhaps they would need all 8 CPU cores for that. I was also thinking it might be cheaper to have cut down versions of their existing systems. But you're right it would leave hardware power from native Series M games on the table.. Might as well just dieshrink the XB1 SOC at that point.

Thanks for the input. I was thinking XB1 games wouldn't need patches due to VM and developers would just code for XB1 as is to reach both markets. MS can already run 4 XB1 VMs on Series X. But perhaps they would need all 8 CPU cores for that. I was also thinking it might be cheaper to have cut down versions of their existing systems. But you're right it would leave hardware power from native Series M games on the table.. Might as well just dieshrink the XB1 SOC at that point.

I think your looking at something in 2023 3nm with an 8 core zen 4 + rdna 2 or 3 in it and it will be a mobile series s

I agree with that it's possible to run Xb1s in a VM only. I don't see much incentive to make the portable more capable than simply making all the XB1s games that had variable framerates and resolution a locked experience. Perhaps they add free improvements such as delta color compression.

I think your looking at something in 2023 3nm with an 8 core zen 4 + rdna 2 or 3 in it and it will be a mobile series s

I agree. As cool as the Steam Deck seems, I don't think it's good enough to act as a GamePass mobile (which is the only thing MS really cares about) unless it's through xCloud. So either xCloud has to improve or MS has to shrink the S as you describe and do something similar on their own.

Back