Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

The "first major PS5 console update" is out.

There are a few things that come with it, but I'm only interested in the following:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good shout. It's not definitive, but it's a strong indicator that the PS5's Remote Play quality is limited to 1080p60.
no vrr, no 1440p, no real storage extension, wouldn't call it major update ;)

There is barely anything major about the PS5 so far except that it launched and it has a unique controller.
Its been like half a year with barely any new awesome games, barely any significant updates like a better app resume/switch feature.....
The PS4 came with a big punch. This one just arrived and said "hi".
The frst 3 playstation generations were awesomely better.
The AAA games were being poured in.

There is barely anything major about the PS5 so far except that it launched and it has a unique controller.
Its been like half a year with barely any new awesome games, barely any significant updates like a better app resume/switch feature.....

even Vita and PSVR got a bunch of next-gen launch titles.

btw DualSense is really unique indeed. Im back playing PS4 and yeeesh, it felt super dry. With dualsense i can feel the rumble of motorcycle roar, the whoop-whoop of fallen skiff that floads above my head....

How do you get this perception? Between boosted BC and new titles, a new playstation never had such a strong launch-day and release window library, at least in what refers to exclusives (they multiplatform 3rd parties..).

Just on launch-day you had Astro Playroom for free to show-off DualSense, Demon's Souls being by far the best-looking 9th generation game to date, Miles Morales showing off some raytracing and absence of loading times, Sackboy for an excellent coop platforming and some weird indie experiences like Bugsnax. And Godfall which might still get a Destiny treatment and become and actually enjoyable game for coop PvE. Of course not to mention the Plus Collection with boosted gems like 4K60 Days Gone.
Now compare that to the PS4 which had Killzone ShadowFall, Knack and Resogun, plus some weird experiences like Flower.. Or the PS3 that came out with Genji (of the famous giant enemy crab meme) and Resistance.

This month we'll get Returnal, in May we get Deathloop, In June there's the new Ratchet&Clank and FFVII Intergrade, Kena coming in August, and for the last quarter we're getting Horizon2 and Final Fantasy XVI.
While not everyone must like every one of these games, in terms of 1st-year exclusive game releases the PS5 is killing it. There's a new AA / AAA exclusive coming out practically every month.

Which makes it all the more weird how Sony is keeping rather quiet about it.

Only uses ~13Mbps of bandwidth as well so they could push it higher.
13Mbps for 1080p60 is a lot if it's using H265. That's almost as much as Netflix uses for 4K30 HDR (15Mbps), so it's actually using about twice the data per pixel in each frame.

I don't find the auto HDR intrusive at all, am I the only one? I can hardly notice it, if I'm honest.
Same here. I don't know what "crushed blacks" even means... but I'm using a C9 OLED which might be better prepared for a higher range of zones with low luminance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here. I don't know what "crushed blacks" even means... but I'm using a C9 OLED which might be better prepared for a higher range of zones with low luminance.
I use lg cx and few games is too dark comparing to ps4 but not sure it was related to auto hdr

How do you get this perception? Between boosted BC and new titles, a new playstation never had such a strong launch-day and release window library, at least in what refers to exclusives (they multiplatform 3rd parties..).

Just on launch-day you had Astro Playroom for free to show-off DualSense, Demon's Souls being by far the best-looking 9th generation game to date, Miles Morales showing off some raytracing and absence of loading times, Sackboy for an excellent coop platforming and some weird indie experiences like Bugsnax. And Godfall which might still get a Destiny treatment and become and actually enjoyable game for coop PvE. Of course not to mention the Plus Collection with boosted gems like 4K60 Days Gone.
Now compare that to the PS4 which had Killzone ShadowFall, Knack and Resogun, plus some weird experiences like Flower.. Or the PS3 that came out with Genji (of the famous giant enemy crab meme) and Resistance.

This month we'll get Returnal, in May we get Deathloop, In June there's the new Ratchet&Clank and FFVII Intergrade, Kena coming in August, and for the last quarter we're getting Horizon2 and Final Fantasy XVI.
While not everyone must like every one of these games, in terms of 1st-year exclusive game releases the PS5 is killing it. There's a new AA / AAA exclusive coming out practically every month.

Demon's Souls is the only game worth the 9th generation title.
The rest you mention are....meh...(referring only to whats released). What we get are mostly enhanced PS4 games. And remakes. And glorified demos. And "complete editions" of previous games. They are coming too few too slow.
6 months and the only real next gen game we got is Demon Souls. Which is a remake.

I heard that but I haven't experienced it. If anything the only annoying black-crusher is still Destiny 2 in HDR.
I was about to chime in that the only PS4 game I had HDR issues with was Destiny 2 and that's because according some some folks here, the implementation was bad. They may have fixed it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rest you mention are....meh...(referring only to whats released). What we get are mostly enhanced PS4 games. And remakes. And glorified demos. And "complete editions" of previous games. They are coming too few too slow.
6 months and the only real next gen game we got is Demon Souls. Which is a remake.
Graphics wise you're correct, and IMO it's a similar graphics IQ step to what we saw in Killzone Shadowfall at the PS4's release date.
But there's more to the new generation than just graphics. Miles Morales with instant fast-traveling made it a completely different experience than what I got with Spider-Man on the PS4, and Astro Playroom uses the DualSense in a way that (literally) feels completely different to anything I had played before. To some point, Sackboy also makes good use of both instant loading and DualSense, though it is a cross-gen game nonetheless.

Regardless, my one point was that this 9th-gen initial ramp-up in new titles is IMO much better than it was for the PS4 or the PS3, by far.
On the PS4 especially for the first year I remember playing some games I wasn't really interested just to get some use on the console. The PS4's first year wasn't really any good.
Granted, in 2013-2014 I was a childless dude living with his GF, and now I'm married with 2 little kids so my perception of "how many games are there for my free time" definitely changed quite a bit.

covid really put a damper on things imo. Poorer releases, increased delays etc. Everything has pretty much slipped timetables and quality because of covid. The only answer (given the blow back by gamers: see most 3P launch titles and Cyberpunk) is to delay as much as you need to ship a quality title, and hope the current games hold people over.

Back