The Day Before

Visually this looks fantastic but I know know it's going to be crammed with MMO and RPG mechanics I hate like. An example being he goes int the back of the cola trust and you can see hundreds of bottle of cola stacked up but his loot search produces one can of soda.

Come on game designers, if I find a big score of cola let me put that stuff in my truck and not have to worry about hydration for a while. Sure my truck can't carry anything else and now I'm a massive target but that's my problem. I like really like survival mechanics but the whole scavenge to survive 20 real game minutes is not a lot of fun. You have a day/night cycle but my character needs to drink the equivalent of 25 gallons of fluid a day and my car needs mechanics because it drove over a small rock every 12 hours. Have the scavenging a means to an end of more interesting mechanics like base building, fortification etc.

Looks... okay. Highly limited tetris inventory management is just frustrating. I'm not sure if the floating terrible aiming is on purpose based on character gun skills or there's no auto aiming snap, which should be there in a 3rd person controller game when you're playing a person supposedly proficient in shooting.

• "lazy/cheap" animation
  • overly compressed audio to easily notify player
then i read the description. Oh, no wonder, this is an open-world game.

other than those, its quite amazing looking (and sounding) game. Not sure with the UX tho.

Dunno, the natural environment assets, like rocks and such, look like they are from some generic library, and would feel at home at a ps3 game.

Am I the only one who's fine with "off the shelf" assets if the game is good?

First off, I'm not talking about this game specifically, so take this about the general overall market.

The asset quality of what's available and possible "off the shelf" is amazing. I'm all for shortening the development time and costs while still providing high production value. Save the extra X% Costs and Y% TimeLine to spend on the next project.

Am I the only one who's fine with "off the shelf" assets if the game is good? I mean, I get that we all want hand crafted experiences but it makes little sense to pay artists to model and texture trees that will look basically as good as you would get in an asset package.
and there's a bunch of 3D scanned realistic assets available for free on UE market since Unreal bought megascan company

I'm ok with "off the shelf" assets if they look good vs ugly art. Games such as PUBG for example look awful. Currently there aren't many open world multi-player games that look good. Division 2 and Watch Dogs Legion are a couple of examples, any others?

I'm ok with "off the shelf" assets if they look good vs ugly art. Games such as PUBG for example look awful. Currently there aren't many open world multi-player games that look good. Division 2 and Watch Dogs Legion are a couple of examples, any others?
RDR 2 is head and shoulders above everything in this category.

First off, I'm not talking about this game specifically, so take this about the general overall market.

The asset quality of what's available and possible "off the shelf" is amazing. I'm all for shortening the development time and costs while still providing high production value. Save the extra X% Costs and Y% TimeLine to spend on the next project.
Me too. I've never work on any real game products, but I did make a fair amount of levels in older PC games (Build engine, Chasm: The Rift, Unreal Engine 1/2/3, Source) back in the day, and the amount of work creating assets is the real time sink. Maybe not so much in Build or Chasm (I used the stock textures in those), but in Unreal and Source I was spending a few days making a playable level, and then weeks adding the set dressing. Custom textures, 3d modeled objects, etc. And then, you play some maps other people made and you find out you spent 10 hours 3d modeling and texturing a computer monitor or a tree and someone else has done an equal or better job already. I hate the way people call games "asset flips" because they are using stock assets, and it might be because I know the amount of work involved in making your own. Maybe not on an professional level, but still. And if you look back at classic games, you see things like the evil laugh that's in plenty of NES games (like when you lose in punch out), or the fact that Golden Axe uses sounds sampled from movies but nobody talks about those games with the same level of distain.

That's just a weird video, the tone and music is strange. The game itself looks basically The Division with zombies.

It's still alive

I can't shake the feeling that I have a wedgie and I don't know why :)

Anyway the game looks alright but has a long long road ahead of itself. The shenanigans with the name and everything is also worrying

Back