Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Define "because."

Well, because some folks have come to debate not to discuss. Difference being one tries to argue a point even after the fact based conclusion is clear. This potentially leads to purposeful misunderstandings while not even trying to understand core of other persons argument. Take any bit one can, move it out context and spin a new debate. Debaters see these threads as winning or loosing. If all else fails winner is last man standing. This leads to sillyness.

On the other hand people coming to discuss are willing to change their mind as new evidence comes in. People coming to discuss don't see win or loose. End result is gaining more knowledge and potentially changing their mind towards whatever is conclusion drawn from evidence.

Internet would be better if folks came to discuss in discussion forums and left debating to debating forums

Last edited:
@manux as much as I completely agree with your post, I was only joking.

Context "Semantic arguments just because."
Joke "Define 'because.' "

The joke being that my response was refuting the claim of "just because" with an invitation to a semantic debate. Just because.

But yeah, I get really bored of seeing people just screaming their opinions down other people's also screaming throats. So many interpersonal exchanges - that ought to be perfectly civil - break down in almost no time at all.

It's as if we've lost the little dance people used to do when passing each other on the pavement and not being able to decide who's going which way. It's as if that's been replaced with a preemptive stabbing just in case that other person wanted to do it to you.

It's got game design and art direction I remember from 20 years ago; a character causing fire to come out of the ground in a line. Looks the epitome of mediocrity.
Zed thinks about removing the "Hell Fire" spell from my game asunder. :LOL:
Though I do admit outsiders does look very dated gameplay wise, but hey if its well done then some ppl just want some mindless fun

Revisiting this because NXGamer definitively put the Series S into the last generation group in his Outriders comparison. I misheard last time because it's a viewpoint that he has publicly stated previously, that S is a last generation console.

I am quite suprised at this. I don't see the developers improving their models just for one version. Shouldn't it be simply better tesselation on PS5?

FrdTGkV.png

or a bug ? Or better tesselation on XsX PC ? Because it's an object in the background i guess ?

Because if PS5 has to render more polygons in a scene, maybe it has to lower the resolution ?

or a bug ? Or better tesselation on XsX PC ? Because it's an object in the background i guess ?

Because if PS5 has to render more polygons in a scene, maybe it has to lower the resolution ?
could just come down to API differences. I don't believe that every delta is about performance considering we see PC and XSX look the same in those images.

Lots of little issues on the PC side, DoF is often missing in many of the scenes where you can see it on for consoles. May just need more time in the oven to resolve these issues, sometimes they are missed I think.

Last edited:
I do have poorsense of humor. Sorry for not getting this joke. But I do get it now that you spelled it out for me. I sincerely thank you for that. Maybe next time works out better for me :)

Haha not a problem. Your response made me laugh anyway. It's only in a forum prone to insane semantic debates that "define 'because' " could even be mistaken for earnest.

Wow what the heck happened to the ps5 version.

*In the voice of David Attenborough*

And here squats the lesser fishing troll, dangling his inanity without skill, in the hope that he might attract his prey or, ideally, a mate.

For here, on the barren, icy plains of non-contribution, conversation is but a distant memory, long since replaced by lonely sneers and cackles as he imagines the ways in which he can sully fertile land.

*In the voice of David Attenborough*

And here squats the lesser fishing troll, dangling his inanity without skill, in the hope that he might attract his prey or, ideally, a mate.

For here, on the barren, icy plains of non-contribution, conversation is but a distant memory, long since replaced by lonely sneers and cackles as he imagines the ways in which he can sully fertile land.

Lol, no idea who David Attenborough is, or how his voice is like, but thanks anyway :D

could just come down to API differences. I don't believe that every delta is about performance considering we see PC and XSX look the same in those images.

Lots of little issues on the PC side, DoF is often missing in many of the scenes where you can see it on for consoles. May just need more time in the oven to resolve these issues, sometimes they are missed I think.

API differences are certainly a part of the picture, but do you think IO may play a factor here too?

Could the streaming system be somewhat built around the XBox Series consoles as the lowest common denominator? I say so on the basis that DDR4/5 RAM are substantially faster than the SSD's of the consoles. Is there scope for tools to be unified across PC and Xbox to the extent that the PC's streaming system, in spite of its DDR bandwidth advantage, is only being made to keep pace with XBox Series?

So with a steaming system built around a raw 2.4GB/s, the PS5 has enough additional bandwidth to more swiftly stream in additional LoD models without any work from the developers.

It would still be an issue with Microsoft's tools, as the PC should be able to outperform both, but perhaps the PC is playing second fiddle to XBox for the moment, at least in terms of IO.

API differences are certainly a part of the picture, but do you think IO may play a factor here too?

Could the streaming system be somewhat built around the XBox Series consoles as the lowest common denominator? I say so on the basis that DDR4/5 RAM are substantially faster than the SSD's of the consoles. Is there scope for tools to be unified across PC and Xbox to the extent that the PC's streaming system, in spite of its DDR bandwidth advantage, is only being made to keep pace with XBox Series?

So with a steaming system built around a raw 2.4GB/s, the PS5 has enough additional bandwidth to more swiftly stream in additional LoD models without any work from the developers.

It would still be an issue with Microsoft's tools, as the PC should be able to outperform both, but perhaps the PC is playing second fiddle to XBox for the moment, at least in terms of IO.
hmm. My thoughts on this are:
A) if it were just a streaming issue for instance, and speed was the issue, the bulb would eventually revert to what it should be moments following. Say 1-3 frames following. So that would be how PS5 should differentiate itself from a streaming speed I think.

B) if there is a memory size limitation for instance then it's possible that for the sake of making the xbox/PC, you'd make that memory limitation lower for instance. So perhaps there is some overlap in models/assets to accommodate for a lower memory size of say Series S, or lower graphical cards.

Neither A or B feels particularly good to be honest. UE5 managed it's streaming pool with 768MB of memory.
Ultra requirements for Outriders here is:
Ultra requirements (4K, ultra details, 60 fps)
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K or AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
  • RAM: 16GB
  • GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 (10GB) / AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT
  • Drive Space: 70GB
Which both consoles surpass fairly easily I think. So I don't think VRAM allocation is the challenge here for Xbox or PC. Game doesn't seem to require more than 10GB.
SSD streaming speeds can be mitigated with a larger streaming pool, so once again I don't think it's I/O related.

It could very well just be a setting or something. I think if geometry was an issue hardware wise and they run PS5 specifically at higher settings for geometry and LOD, we'd see many instances of geometry deltas during comparisons. So I'm leaning on a bug as being the most probable. And as per Brit, the game uses loading scenes for every single cutscene, and every area change. So you can pretty much offload the entire level etc to fit in this very not detailed cutscenes in Outrider.

If we're staying on hardware limitations, Option C would be on tessellation/geometry bottleneck.
But along the same lines as before, this particular cutscene doesn't appear to be pushing geometrical boundaries. So it shouldn't really be an issue either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back