Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. Having a minor resolution advantage isn't going to be much noticeable, but poor AF is.
though this may not be on People Can Fly.

I suspect if they could have gotten away with higher AF they would have. This issue will likely fall on MS. Driver immaturity around AF can be a larger resource hog than expected. So depending on the angle, a poor driver would sample more more texels/perform more computation than a matured one to get the same result. I think it's possible over time this will improve, we did see both consoles get better over time with AF last generation, but I'm honestly not sure - hopefully that's the issue.

Though the alternative is, the bottleneck on XSX is either the lack of available bandwidth/or lack of sufficient texture filtering units (TMUs?) have hit maximum for this particular title.

Last edited:
API issue on Xbox. Same as start of last gen with the PS4.

AF is bandwidth heavy so you would think the opposite to happen in reality.
I doubt AF could be an API problem suddenly on Xbox when it was never the case in the previous gen, quite the contrary. They can even force 16x AF on all BC games as AF was / is very important even for MS execs (and rightly so).

Thanks for the link as It's the first time I read that update with a dev implying low AF on PS4 could be caused by an API problem (what I actually claimed for years, I actually had a source at Japan Studio, RIP, but whatever). But for the first 2 years DF explanation was that low AF was most probably because of a hardware limitation (bandwidth limited). As long as we don't have a developer saying it's because of "tools" or API we can't say for sure what's the cause of the problem on Xbox Series and it could certainly be a hardware limitation.

I think it could be caused by VRS and as such, it could actually be a hardware limitation (of RDNA2 VRS), sort of. I have 2 reasons for this:

- None of those games have being patched yet (many PS4 games with low AF have actually being patched by the devs once they knew of the problem)
- The apparent resolution of those oblique textures is the same from foreground to background. Usually in the case of different AF level the textures near the foreground have basically the same AF and it's the far away textures that are the most blurry. That can actually be seen in Eurogamer's article.

Last edited:
I don't recall anything about VRS on this title. It just looks like standard lower texture filtering.
Well, I am saying it actually doesn't look like different levels of AF. This is something different (and I am quite confident about that). And as it's not on all UE4 games it's not an API bug.

Yeah no VRS for this title on PC.
Well most PCs don't have RDNA2 VRS (it's called tiers 2 or something?), do they? But it could be something else, like SFS.

Well, I am saying it actually doesn't look like different levels of AF. This is something different (and I am quite confident about that). And as it's not on all UE4 games it's not an API bug.

Well most PCs don't have RDNA2 VRS (it's called tiers 2 or something?), do they? But it could be something else, like SFS.
I'm playing the game, it's entirely a texture filtering issue. I'm seeing it happen in motion and it's not hard to reproduce; just look up and down. This is not a VRS system.

impressive that they managed to resolve fps issues, with such a high res advantage over ps5...
they resolved fps issue by lowering lowest range of dynamic res to 1080p, wouldn't called it impressive tweak but for sure rational and proper

I'm starting to see a trend here. Perhaps the PS5 is incapable of doing physics properly due to Kraken hardware limitations. Maybe physics just doesn't work well with Tempest.
What does the physics system have to do with Kraken or Tempest (audio)? What are the other games trending with similar problems?

they resolved fps issue by lowering lowest range of dynamic res to 1080p, wouldn't called it impressive tweak but for sure rational and proper

Demo was horrible. Almost constantly running between 50-60 FPS even with dropping lowest range to 1080 which seems to be very rare

“native resolution pixel counts at 1920x1080 seem to be very rare on Xbox Series X and were found less often than on PS5”
It’s impressive.

Demo was horrible. Almost constantly running between 50-60 FPS even with dropping lowest range to 1080 which seems to be very rare

“native resolution pixel counts at 1920x1080 seem to be very rare on Xbox Series X and were found less often than on PS5”
It’s impressive.
Demo lowest resolution found on xsx was 2261x1272 thats like almost 39% more pixels than 1080p and I think thats the reason of better fps.

Demo lowest resolution found on xsx was 2261x1272 thats like almost 39% more pixels than 1080p and I think thats the reason of better fps.

again demo was running horrible so unless final game is running at 1080 all the time (which is not) they did something good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back