Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting that the PS5 doesn't exhibit any torn frames even after the update.
Curious to see how he's counting this in general.

I think I have a method that should work 99% of the time, but manual counting doesn't seem the way to go and his numbers seem like it's automated counting.

Very curious. I wish VGA could send me a text to let me know how it works for him.

I read, even more strange now that dev accused qa ;d so he didn't know he use nativ 1800p and not dsr as on xsx ? ;d

Something in the patch could have accidentally changed or not properly packaged before going live.

This mishap or whatever you want to call it, does make for a good reference benchmark between the first two patches and the upcoming fix. Seeing various deltas of performance dealing with native resolution vs DRR support.

Curious to see how he's counting this in general.

I think I have a method that should work 99% of the time, but manual counting doesn't seem the way to go and his numbers seem like it's automated counting.

Very curious. I wish VGA could send me a text to let me know how it works for him.
He posts in this site I think.

Not to read too much into it, but his phrasing implies the resolution bump shouldn’t affect the framerate that badly and that’s what QA missed (the low framerate, not the lack of DRS). Does that imply a performance difference between dev kits and retail PS5s, or just an overreach on the devs’ part?

At first, I was thinking that but I will go with DRR not being flagged correctly.

Note: It seems the PS5 addition added native 1800p support, not the DRR 1800p as seen in XBSX (3200x1800 - 2560x1440). And framerate suffers because of the lack of DRR support.

Prior Video and Information:

Image lifted from chandoog at Era.
123oyk40.jpg

Interesting that the PS5 doesn't exhibit any torn frames even after the update.

The PS5 version is vsynced while the XBS-X/S version isn't. You can tell by looking at the minimum and maximum frame times. PS5 will lock to either 16.67 or 33.33 while XBS-X/S doesn't lock to either.

I'm curious why they don't just have the same rendering constraints on all systems. Either have V-sync on or V-sync off for all systems, for example. The same goes for dynamic resolution.

Regards,
SB

Outriders

The versions tested were 1.004.000 on PS5 and 2.5.2103.230 on Xbox Series X|S.

Series S uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being 1920x1080 and the lowest native resolution found being 1280x720. Native resolution pixel counts at 1280x720 seem to be uncommon on Xbox Series S. On Xbox Series S temporal upsampling is used to reconstruct a 2560x1440 resolution.

PS5 uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being approximately 3008x1692 and the lowest native resolution found being 1920x1080. Native resolution pixel counts at 1920x1080 seem to be rare on PS5. On PS5 temporal upsampling is used to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution.

Xbox Series X uses a dynamic resolution with the highest native resolution found being approximately 3456x1944 and the lowest native resolution found being 1920x1080. Native resolution pixel counts at 1920x1080 seem to be very rare on Xbox Series X and were found less often than on PS5. On Xbox Series X temporal upsampling is used to reconstruct a 3840x2160 resolution.

Outriders: Another game with higher texture filtering on PS5. It's now a trend.

Resolution might be higher on XSX but the game looks actually sharper on PS5 (left is PS5):

rliFjfF.jpg

Maybe an area where XBSX dips lower than PS5, and vice versa in other areas that favor XBSX? Or, does IQ favor PS5 throughout? Haven't watched the video yet, just checking in for a hot sec.

Swear it was this game that demo had bad framerate on XSS.

Now good solid framerates on all current gen systems.

Although personally I would like to see option for framerate to drop to say 55 before DRS if you have a VRR display.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back