Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The re-emergence of virtual reality began when id Software mastermind John Carmack hacked together a Doom 3 PC build for Palmer Luckey's prototype VR headset waaaay back in 2012. Legal shenanigans followed, Carmack left id and now works for Oculus/Facebook. As for Doom 3 VR? It has re-emerged, this time as a fully formed game - but only on PlayStation VR. John Linneman goes hands-on while Alex Battaglia offers up his thoughts about the game.

Shadows are of lower quality on Xbox and they are flickering a bit (from 6:10 in that video). Interestingly it's similar at what's happening in latest COD shadows (albeit supposedly RT shadows). They have a lower quality on Xbox + some flickering.

M7JBUDd.png

Shadows are of lower quality on Xbox and they are flickering a bit (from 6:10 in that video). Interestingly it's similar at what's happening in latest COD shadows (albeit supposedly RT shadows). They have a lower quality on Xbox + some flickering.

M7JBUDd.png
Different is a word I would use to describe the shadows. The PS5 ones are overly dark and hard. The ones on Xbox are overly light and soft. Not sure I would say one is technically better than the other, but I tend to prefer the contrast from the PS5 version.

M7JBUDd.png

Interestingly, if it's worse quality, it's also more realistic. Shadows like in the PS5 screenshot are just not that dark in real life in broad daylight.

Basically, I wouldn't call either one better or worse. Although I am curious as to why it renders differently on the two consoles.

Different is a word I would use to describe the shadows. The PS5 ones are overly dark and hard. The ones on Xbox are overly light and soft. Not sure I would say one is technically better than the other, but I tend to prefer the contrast from the PS5 version.

For me, I prefer the XBS-X one, it doesn't seem as jarring to me as the PS5 one. Both could be better, but that black hole of darkness on the PS5 one just doesn't come across as pleasing to look at ... for me.

I never really pay attention to shadows except when they are obviously janky now-a-days, so now I'm curious to go and look at how the shadows are rendered on PC.

Regards,
SB

M7JBUDd.png

After rewatching the video, the shadowing on the X version does flicker and seem chunky/pixelated at certain distances. But the crush blacks that the PS5 exhibits with its shadows are off-putting. A patch should resolve these issues.

odd that the game doesnt run at 120fps. I am currently running it at 1440p 165fps at AFx16 and AAx8 on a humble GTX 1060 3GB -giving a rest to my GTX 1080 for maintenance, new thermal paste-. Purchased the game on gamepass PC -didnt need to do that but I like gp pc and prefer to play my games there-.

The scares on certain places have to be enormous.

The classic original Doom UI at the bottom is something DF added or is it like that in the game?

Last edited:
Eh? Those reactions happened in the video. It’s not like the typical clickbait staged photo with exaggerated expressions. I do feel they should have used Richard’s reaction to Audi’s sneeze, though, for a more accurate representation of his occasionally curmudgeonly mood (Audi really kicked the banter up a notch, and I loved it).

If you’re talking about the box, sure, technically it was neither a box nor singular. If they had more room, I feel like the PS3/P/V storefront closure discussion was more important than FF7RI. Alex mentioned B3D somewhere in that two hours, though I can’t remember where. (I believe it was in the context of being hassled about perceived clarity or console differences.)

I guess I didn't express myself well there. In retrospect I did sound more scolding and disaproving than I originally intended. My bad, guys.

I never meant to accuse DF of sensationalistic or false advertisers. I just had this picture of my mind of youtube channels that are clickbaity typically like to use very exagerated thumbnails with characture-like faces and poppy montages.

I call these types of chanel click-bait in the sense that they are chasing the cheap curious click more than the genuinely interested one, and doing so through vulgar psychological tricks rather than proper good content, not in that they are necessarily lying, although some actually do advertise one thing and show another, but that is just the most shallow part of their problem.

When I compared DF to these chanels, it was more in jest than anything. They do have proper good content. I did watch the chat today. It was good. The little game at the end was amusing, and I can see how they probably made the zany thumbnail as a continuation of them pulling on John's leg there.

But I must say, these over-the-top thumbnails some channels come up with do put me off greatly. I wonder "who feels compelled to watch this bullshit". Then I remember kids and young teens are the ones with the most free time making the bulk of internet traffic.

Last edited:
After rewatching the video, the shadowing on the X version does flicker and seem chunky/pixelated at certain distances. But the crush blacks that the PS5 exhibits with its shadows are off-putting. A patch should resolve these issues.
shadows.jpg

the shadows are the same darkness in this video (at least closer, the ps5 seems to be slightly lighter)
perhaps digital foundry didnt have their TV capture set up correctly with the ps5?
The only difference is the ps5 shadows are higher quality. Apart from that they look identical
though looking at that video, why would anyone want to play 30fps over 60fps

shadows.jpg

the shadows are the same darkness in this video (at least closer, the ps5 seems to be slightly lighter)
perhaps digital foundry didnt have their TV capture set up correctly with the ps5?
The only difference is the ps5 shadows are higher quality. Apart from that they look identical
though looking at that video, why would anyone want to play 30fps over 60fps

By default the PS5 version is darker than the Xbox versions. I adjusted the in-game brightness so that the versions would match (or as close as I could get). This may be why the PS5 shadows look darker in Digital Foundry's video.

By default the PS5 version is darker than the Xbox versions. I adjusted the in-game brightness so that the versions would match (or as close as I could get). This may be why the PS5 shadows look darker in Digital Foundry's video.
You've the maker of the video, I assume (similar name)
I dont think its that, though its good that you calibrated them so they're nearly equal.
i.e. theres no amount of changing the brightness thats gonna make the left side look like the right side with the top image

top image is Digital Foundrys, bottom is VGTech.
Though in both it does look like ps5 has 4x shadowmap resolution (maybe just on the nearest cascade)

If I would hazard a guess its 2 different builds of the game

shadows2.jpg

This is the first time I read people prefering lower resolution shadows in years of DF threads.
Different as they are clearly lower resolution on Xbox.

Interestingly, if it's worse quality, it's also more realistic. Shadows like in the PS5 screenshot are just not that dark in real life in broad daylight.

Basically, I wouldn't call either one better or worse. Although I am curious as to why it renders differently on the two consoles.

For me, I prefer the XBS-X one, it doesn't seem as jarring to me as the PS5 one. Both could be better, but that black hole of darkness on the PS5 one just doesn't come across as pleasing to look at ... for me.

I never really pay attention to shadows except when they are obviously janky now-a-days, so now I'm curious to go and look at how the shadows are rendered on PC.

Regards,
SB
The difference of black levels (which seems a usual problem in those comparisons somehow, more than in last gen comparisons) has nothing to do with shadows quality here.

Sure the shadows in ps5 are higher quality but they are too black on the top DF screenshot, the xbox colors look better (or the VGA ps5 version)
Though ppl might be shocked in real life how dark shadows can appear if the sun is strong, depending on where the sun is. I just had a look out the window now (sun shining here midday and the shadows under the cars are near black)
sweater-hair-child-road.jpg

Sure the shadows in ps5 are higher quality but they are too black on the top DF screenshot, the xbox colors look better (or the VGA ps5 version)
Though ppl might be shocked in real life how dark shadows can appear if the sun is strong, depending on where the sun is. I just had a look out the window now (sun shining here midday and the shadows under the cars are near black)
sweater-hair-child-road.jpg
I'm not disagreeing entirely, however this is more an effect of dynamic range in the picture than anything else. The shadow looks darker than it probably appears because of the much brighter part in the picture (the kid).

Oh sure that plays a part, but this is also how the eye works, like I said I looked out the window now and the shadows under the cars are nearly pitch black. Next time you're on a very sunny day have a look outside. I think its one of those things where our expectations are different than the reality, like a white sun (its true color unless its low to the horizon and you're looking through a lot of atmosphere) , if we see it in a film it doesnt look right, so they make it more yellow
6009dc531c21de6e06be1c104bc46831.jpg

heres a photo from yesterday, yes one of those monoliths appeared on a beach here yesterday, though apparently its now been tipped over by some kids last night
w_56796517-1.jpg

Well with climate change it could become more so best get used to it.

Anyway yeah now that it is pointed out to me, real shadows in daylight look much lighter and transparent thanks to the ‘global illumination’.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back