Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was specifically answering @Karamazov 's post. Sorry if it missed some additional context that I apparently didn't follow.

Are people playing Avengers? It seemed to me the game was going the way of Anthem after it bombed hard in both user and review scores half a year ago.
At some point Crystal Dynamics will need to relocate their resources on to more profitable ventures, and maybe that point has been passed already.
no idea ;d I will probably check singleplayer later after massive discount

So this is interesting:

Apparently the PS5 does render at 1440p in 120hz mode. According to this the consoles have variable resolutions in both modes and the PS5 has a higher low. Weirdly inconsistent with the press released resolutions.

Xbox Series X Fidelity Mode: 3264x1836 to 3840x2160
Xbox Series X 120hz Mode: 1920x1080 to 2560x1440

PS5 Fidelity Mode: 3552x1998 to 3840x2160
PS5 120hz Mode: 2112x1188 to 2560x1440

So this is interesting

Apparently the PS5 does render at 1440p in 120hz mode. According to this the consoles have variable resolutions in both modes and the PS5 has a higher low. Weirdly inconsistent with the press released resolutions.
PS5 in Fidelity mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 3552x1998. Pixel counts below 3840x2160 seem to be rare on PS5 in Fidelity mode. Xbox Series X in Fidelity mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 3840x2160 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 3264x1836. Pixel counts below 3840x2160 seem to be rare on Xbox Series X in Fidelity mode. PS5 in Performance mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 2112x1188. Pixel counts at 2560x1440 seem to be common on PS5 in Performance mode. Xbox Series X in Performance mode uses a dynamic resolution with the highest resolution found being 2560x1440 and the lowest resolution found being approximately 1920x1080. Pixel counts at 2560x1440 seem to be common on Xbox Series X in Performance mode.
lmao, in the end ps5 keep resolution higher than xsx, it was bizzare for me that ps5 could struggle with tony hawk but yet I read it was to expected and other bandwidth theories ;d

Outside the console ecosystem, what's a game considered cpu constrained even on a ryzen 8 cores?
Just to understand how much they will be able to propose 120fps performance mode.

iroboto has great knowledge and makes interesting posts, he was just theorizing on why it could be lower res with the official info (which were not supposed to be wrong) we got a few days ago.

But some others there should have just waited for final results before talking too much just to fuel fan wars.
yeah I usually like his posts but conslucios was too soon and in context of tony hawk just didn't make much sense

But some others there should have just waited for final results before talking too much just to fuel fan wars.
Are you talking about on this forum?

As the only thing I saw was defending 1080p120 because the PS5 can't output 1440p120.
Which to everyone else made no sense, and was hard to see as being the reason for the resolution.
Nothing to do with fan wars, or xsx being better or worse etc.

Although I know it wasn't intentional, but your post was the closet I've seen to feeding fan wars

iroboto has great knowledge and makes interesting posts, he was just theorizing on why it could be lower res with the official info (which were not supposed to be wrong) we got a few days ago.

As we all he has the right to theorize but we already have plenty of comparisons (and using very different engines). Because of this his theory was a fantasy because based on no known facts or historical precedence. In 99% comparisons we have (when settings are about the same and there are drops so we can compare things) both machines are very similar with a +-10% perf gap. Suddently theorizing about a possible 77% performance gap makes no sense whatsoever.

based on no known facts
I'm working off official distributed information which they made a polished graphic for and tweeted everywhere excuse me.

I wasn't the one to suggest that this was the performance gap; I just tried to provide a reason.
Don't be mad with me, you guys should be mad with Activision

Last edited:
As we all he has the right to theorize but we already have plenty of comparisons (and using very different engines). Because of this his theory was a fantasy because based on no known facts or historical precedence. In 99% comparisons we have (when settings are about the same and there are drops so we can compare things) both machines are very similar with a +-10% perf gap. Suddently theorizing about a possible 77% performance gap makes no sense whatsoever.
Wait what?
Wasn't it you who said that it was 1080p120 because the PS5 can't output at 1440p120?

So this is interesting:

Well, that is surprising, after their marketing tweet.

btw, what's up with the UI
upload_2021-3-30_15-27-28.png

The UI looks a bit strange with those sabretooth artifacts. Or is that just an artifact of an upscaled/downscaled UI?
The xbox 120 mode has also that effect in the UI, but not that pronounced
Might also just be the video compression.

Well, that is surprising, after their marketing tweet.

btw, what's up with the UI
View attachment 5371

The UI looks a bit strange with those sabretooth artifacts. Or is that just an artifact of an upscaled/downscaled UI?
The xbox 120 mode has also that effect in the UI, but not that pronounced
Might also just be the video compression.

I can't see that on any of the rendered environments in some stills I took, but does look a bit like CBR.

Why only on the UI though?

I can't see that on any of the rendered environments in some stills I took, but does look a bit like CBR.

Why only on the UI though?
It is also there from second 7 to 10. But it is more frequent visible in the open world environment.
Maybe has something to do with the upscaling when the resolution drops or something like this.
Can't see it that often on the xbox version, because they mostly didn't do those stunts in that test where this UI element occurs.

He did mention the video was captured at 1080p for 120fps. Not sure if there is downscaling issues from the recorder. There aren't many 4K 120fps capture cards/devices if any on the market.
That leads me to another question. How do they count the pixels when they only have downscaled images?
Just curios. Because how would you distinct between pixel-steps because of downscaling and pixel-steps because of the real resolution?
The only this you can make with such a thing is more or less "guess" if you don't capture somehow the original material.

Last edited:
He did mention the video was captured at 1080p for 120fps. Not sure if there is downscaling issues from the recorder. There aren't many 4K 120fps capture cards/devices if any on the market.

I wonder how they're doing the pixel counts, I remember @Dictator saying that it's very difficult to count downsampled images.

Presumably record at 4k60 in a separate capture for counting purposes?

So this is interesting:

I agree with the DF crowd when they say a much better way to analyse performance would be to provide an average value for render resolution, but the reconstruction techniques being used would make it very hard to automate a solution.

I wonder how they're doing the pixel counts, I remember @Dictator saying that it's very difficult to count downsampled images.

Presumably record at 4k60 in a separate capture for counting purposes?
yea. mmm.

You could try just hammering the share button and taking photo stills at points you think the resolution will drop. Outside of that I'm not sure. You may want to ask @VGA himself.

I agree with the DF crowd when they say a much better way to analyse performance would be to provide an average value for render resolution, but the reconstruction techniques being used would make it very hard to automate a solution.

When a framerate drops on both systems it'd be interesting to capture the resolutions over the course of that single second. In order to see total pixels rendered.

But really it might be overkill especially when both consoles are performing remarkably similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back