Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

I really dislike it. Most of the games I've played on it have crushed blacks or the look of it because I only have an SDR display.

Really? Do you own one? Genuine question.

I have a 4k 120hz HDR TV in my boys' room and only a 1080p TV in the living room. I've not had any crushed blacks in SDR.

How does the Series X fair in this? It has some HDR enforcement too but works better, right?

The other console runs HDR titles in HDR Container. If it's an SDR title it runs in an SDR container. I think the Auto-HDR setting runs the game in an HDR Container.

Using HGIG setting if your set is HGIG compliant may help out too, one of the HDTVTest videos brought that up and explained what nearly all the various settings do and how they're useful.

I really dislike it. Most of the games I've played on it have crushed blacks or the look of it because I only have an SDR display.

Sorry but a properly set up PS5 and TV shouldn’t have crushed blacks. Especially if the HDR tone mapping doesn’t even apply to you, as you don’t have an HDR TV. Please check your settings.

i don't know if my TV sucks at HDR, or if badly calibrated, but i don't like the look of HDR in games, so i just turned it of in the system menu of the console.

Sorry but a properly set up PS5 and TV shouldn’t have crushed blacks. .
But it does I notticed it on some games mostly bc (battlefield 5) but also some new like wrc9 tough on recent games I don't have problems. Interestingly Vincent from hdtv prise more ps5 for proper black levels representation and said xsx has elevated blacks and is more washed up.

i don't know if my TV sucks at HDR, or if badly calibrated, but i don't like the look of HDR in games, so i just turned it of in the system menu of the console.
Expensive OLED panels have been the only way for it to have its full effect. There are some cheaper TVs that do it pretty well now. I think it is fun to see but not worth big money. There are also some things you need to think about like it can be irritating for the eyes and you really need a pitch black environment. Sometimes compressed dynamic range is actually more enjoyable.

Last edited:
More 60fps improvement goodness for ps5. It's really nice to see old games get upgraded for new consoles. I wonder if one downloads the free ps4 version now would it be patched to 60fps in april? i.e. is sony giving free games and even improving them?

1 hour job by one new developer at insomniac (so he clearly didn't know the game code) to do that 60fps patch.

1 hour job by one new developer at insomniac (so he clearly didn't know the game code) to do that 60fps patch.

Are you sure, what is your source? Just testing the game after changing #define tick 1.0/30.0 to #define tick 1.0/60.0 in some c file would require retesting the whole game to find out if there are glitches/bugs introduced. QA process alone would probably take tens of hours for one iteration of game. It's not like QA would just start the game, quit and claim victory. QA would try to break the game in various ways along the way.

From my POV sony is doing commendable things when patching up old games and releasing them for free for everyone. It's not that long ago we were discussing 60fps is dead in consoles, let's live with 30fps. It's also not so long time ago many people thought sony doesn't care at all about bc and back catalogue.

Are you sure, what is your source? Just testing the game after changing #define tick 1.0/30.0 to #define tick 1.0/60.0 in some c file would require retesting the whole game to find out if there are glitches/bugs introduced. QA process alone would probably take tens of hours for one iteration of game. It's not like QA would just start the game, quit and claim victory. QA would try to break the game in various ways along the way.

From my POV sony is doing commendable things when patching up old games and releasing them for free for everyone. It's not that long ago we were discussing 60fps is dead in consoles, let's live with 30fps. It's also not so long time ago many people thought sony doesn't care at all about bc and back catalogue.

The guy might have took an hour to realize that anything other than simple BC would require more than a few simple changes. His job may have been to parse BC titles based on ease of adding features.

Maybe in some cases when the games were hard coded at 30fps (like Horizon or Bloodborne) those long hours of tests would be justified (but we haven't seen any of those patches for those games yet). BTW one guy actually patched bloodborne to run at 60fps without the source code just half guessing / working on the binaries by comparing with DS3 binaries. True story.

I think there aren't 60fps patches because the devs don't care and there is clearly not a will from the current boss to patch those "they look ancient, why would anybody play this" old games.

So right in february 2021 (after 1 or 2 years-ish of hard work from them owning PS5 devkits) they finally patched God of War 2018 with a 4K + 60fps patch for PS5. Impressive work.
The God of War (2018) Enhanced Performance Experience for the PS5 is coming tomorrow!

✔️ Syncs to 60 FPS
✔️ 4K Checkerboard Resolution
✔️ 2160p
✔️ Free Update for PS5 Users
Wait it's a free update for 4K CBR running at 60fps on PS5? How generous of them to give us the 1.0 disc version already QA tested since years ago.

And what about The last guardian, same thing, the 1.0 is already QA tested for 60fps gameplay (and runs perfectly on PS5), where is the patch?

Maybe in some cases when the games were hard coded at 30fps (like Horizon or Bloodborne) those long hours of tests would be justified (but we haven't seen any of those patches for those games yet). BTW one guy actually patched bloodborne to run at 60fps without the source code just half guessing / working on the binaries by comparing with DS3 binaries. True story.

I think there aren't 60fps patches because the devs don't care and there is clearly not a will from the current boss to patch those "they look ancient, why would anybody play this" old games.

So right in february 2021 (after 1 or 2 years-ish of hard work from them owning PS5 devkits) they finally patched God of War 2018 with a 4K + 60fps patch for PS5. Impressive work.

Wait it's a free update for 4K CBR running at 60fps on PS5? How generous of them to give us the 1.0 disc version already QA tested since years ago.

And what about The last guardian, same thing, the 1.0 is already QA tested for 60fps gameplay (and runs perfectly on PS5), where is the patch?
maybe insomniac can borrow this guy for one hour to naughty dog ? edit: btw it was a joke, guy they hired is community manager ;d

I think you misunderstood what the tweet implies. That dude didn't do the patch in an hour. That dude probably had nothing to do with the patch and it just happened to be announced same day the dude got hired.

edit. That dude definitely didn't do the patch. He isn't even a developer. He is a community manager.

Yup, it's never this easy even just to simply rebuild without any changes. They now have to target the latest PS4 firmware, chances are a bunch of their middleware needs to be updated and a bunch of code unrelated to rendering has to be updated as well.

Has anybody here who has actually written code, ever taken a complex five year codebase and had it work after a recompile work on the latest platform with no changes requires?

Expensive OLED panels have been the only way for it to have its full effect. There are some cheaper TVs that do it pretty well now. I think it is fun to see but not worth big money. There are also some things you need to think about like it can be irritating for the eyes and you really need a pitch black environment. Sometimes compressed dynamic range is actually more enjoyable.
I have IPS panel in my bedroom to watch Al bundy, but lg oled in living room is something else.

Reactions: snc
Back