Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm that's interesting. Thanks.
Normally the UI should always be decoupled from ingame resolution and use native res. We've seen this in multiple games on last gen consoles.
Fonts normally really don't scale that well if you don't want to scale the font's size with the resolution.

Normally the UI should always be decoupled from ingame resolution and use native res. We've seen this in multiple games on last gen consoles.
Fonts normally really don't scale that well if you don't want to scale the font's size with the resolution.
Yep it's really some bad design on PS5. They obviously made a quick port of the Pro quality settings on PS5 by just uncapping the framerate and called it a day.

This seems a really common approach in general. Which of course is understandable to some point. But an article / interview with a company that did try to do it properly and listing what work that resulted in would be very enlightening. And if it turns out to be not that hard, who knows more companies will follow suit ...

Yep it's really some bad design on PS5. They obviously made a quick port of the Pro quality settings on PS5 by just uncapping the framerate and called it a day.
No.
Nixxes has tapped into the low level storage APIs on both PlayStation and Xbox Series systems, with night and day improvements over the last-gen systems.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...arvels-avengers-next-gen-console-head-to-head
Regardless, there are visual improvements on top of the frame-rate boost if you compare the game running up against PS4 Pro's quality mode.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-marvels-avengers-ps5-every-upgrade-tested

Where do they say the CBR tech was the best to use and was the sweet spot performance wise on PS5? The fact that the UI is also affected tells us everything we need to know as to how much effort they put in this mode (the minimum). They kept the available pipeline, added some improvements and uncapped the framerate. It's locked to 60fps and runs mostly at max res, ship it!

Also this is very unlike Nixxes, I remember their excellent port of Tomb Raider on PS3 and PS4 which were both excellent, better than the Xbox versions. I guess Covid is there now.

Which parts were brought over?
"Basically, we have a VGPU - or an Xbox 360 GPU that we've recompiled into x86 - and we run the entire 360 OS stack," explains Bill Stillwell, Xbox Platform Lead. "We take each game, we recompile it so that it runs, but basically we're running it still in a 360, and the team goes through the game with multiple passes."

In the first pass, the team collects GPU shaders, and what Stillwell describes as 'Enlightenments', a term we hadn't come across before. "Enlightenments are our starting point for making game transcompilation better," he says. "This is more a CPU requirement than a GPU one. Enlightenments tell us what instructions wrote to hardware, function entry points, and so on. Basically, the set of information we need to know upfront when we first build."

Helping the task immensely is the fact that certain aspects of the Xbox 360 hardware design are indeed built into the Xbox One processor - specifically, support for texture formats and audio. "It's what makes this sort of possible for us, because then we can take all of those shaders that we collect and we can package them and all the Enlightenments, and then we just go through and we do actual performance playthroughs to determine that the emulator is executing everything right.
There is some hardware assistance and - yes - some 'secret sauce' (Microsoft didn't want to be drawn on how the emulator supports Xbox 360's VMX128 vector units, for example)
"
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...x-one-x-back-compat-how-does-it-actually-work

The full article on IGN is pretty good honestly worth a read for curiosity sake.
https://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/23/the-untold-story-of-xbox-one-backwards-compatibility

Durango crystallized, so too did plans for Xbox 360 compatibility on the new machine. “This was primarily a software exercise, but we enabled that by thinking ahead with hardware,” Gammill explained. “We had to bake some of the backwards compatibility support into the [Xbox One] silicon.” This was done back in 2011. Preliminary tests showed that support for key Xbox middleware XMA audio and texture formats was extremely taxing to do in software alone, with the former, Gammill noted, taking up two to three of the Xbox One’s six CPU cores. But a SOC (system on chip) – basically an Xbox 360 chip inside every Xbox One, similar to how Sony put PS2 hardware inside the launch-era PS3s – would’ve not only been expensive, but it would’ve put a ceiling on what the compatibility team could do. “If we'd have gone with the 360 SOC, we likely would've landed at just parity,” he said. “The goal was never just parity.” So they built the XMA and texture formats into the Xbox One chipset.

The full article on IGN is pretty good honestly worth a read for curiosity sake.
https://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/23/the-untold-story-of-xbox-one-backwards-compatibility
I always found this part of the story strange/Intresting.
From the start when the BC team took on the task of doing BC they wasnt even sure they could do it, in fact sounded like a lot of people internally didn't think it was possible.

So during the design of XO, they put in support (used silicon and design time and money) to support something, they must have had very little idea if it was worth it or not.

I've always justified it as being not that they are legacy support but probably widely supported formats that would be worth having regardless of BC, and it just happened to help BC.

So even without thinking of BC probably would still have them in, it just helped having more reasons to include it.

Always been my personal take.

Let's be honest, Sony is remastering this one. And given the results of Demon's Souls Remastered, I probably wouldn't mind a remastered edition of BB.
Demon's Souls is a remake. I think Bloodborne may get a remaster treatment eventually, but at this point I think they'll release it to promote a Bloodborne 2 so it's limited by the later's roadmaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back