Discord exploring sale worth more than $10 Billion

I dunno , it works well there are a lot of great features in it. Obviously its still new so its not very popular on the personal side but that can change as people already using it for owkr can use it for personal life also.
Each public website-community has usually two links - Patreon and Discord. Discord is big. Amazon did not try to build its own Twitch and community - it bought the existent one.

Mixer failed mostly because it could not build the community - thought it gave MS certain technologies that were used for Teams.

Teams itself got big because...It was used with Office 365, rather that being grown separately. It has grown to the point that - I like the quote - I’m sure I could play the Teams message notification in a crowded room and give everyone anxiety at the same time.

Just put Discord Nitro into Game Pass and call it a day. Discord hosting will be already cheaper simply if it being hosted by cloud provider itself, rather than paying for the rent.

Each public website-community has usually two links - Patreon and Discord. Discord is big. Amazon did not try to build its own Twitch and community - it bought the existent one.

Mixer failed mostly because it could not build the community - thought it gave MS certain technologies that were used for Teams.

Teams itself got big because...It was used with Office 365, rather that being grown separately. It has grown to the point that - I like the quote - I’m sure I could play the Teams message notification in a crowded room and give everyone anxiety at the same time.

Just put Discord Nitro into Game Pass and call it a day. Discord hosting will be already cheaper simply if it being hosted by cloud provider itself, rather than paying for the rent.
Didn't the Bloomberg reporting say Phil Spencer was involved in the deal? That would suggest a little more than just MS going after a messaging app. Xbox could replace its current party chat set up with Discord entirely instead of the more limited integration work they've been doing.

I guess I don't really know. All I know is I pay for it every month and my kid can't actually tell me why, but he really wants to have it. So I pay for it.

That sounds about right with how kids function. I'm pretty sure they want it for the perks - for themselves and their favorite server.

Their Discord NITRO Perks FAQ @ https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000435108-Discord-Nitro-Classic-Nitro

Basically some better emotes, larger uploads for gifs or clips, higher quality video when sharing or streaming, and some server boosts.

Picture worth 1000 words on server boosting (from https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/360028038352 ):

upload_2021-3-24_10-35-23.png

From the Discord NITRO Games FAQ @ https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034828852-Where-did-Nitro-games-go-

THE NITRO GAMES LIBRARY HAS OFFICIALLY BEEN REMOVED FROM THE APP AS OF OCTOBER 15TH, 2019.
For more details on why we made these changes back in 2019, check out this blog post here!

CAN I STILL PLAY GAMES IN THE NITRO LIBRARY?
As we detailed in a previous announcement, the Nitro games library is no longer accessible to any and all Nitro subscribers as of October 15th, 2019. Any games in the library won't be available for play going forward, even if you previously installed them.

The Nitro games library functioned in a way that's similar to other streaming library services such as Microsoft's Xbox Game Pass, Spotify, and Netflix. Subscribers had access to the games in the library while they were available and could install them at any point in time. Now that the library no longer exists, the games aren't available anymore, and you sadly won't be able to play them going forward.

Games you installed will still have a Play option next to them. If they were games you installed through the Nitro library, you may run into an error if you haven't purchased these games from another marketplace. You can learn how to manage unplayable games below.

what is a server boost ?

Read the image and the Nitro FAQ linked before it and this entire article about it https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/360028038352 .

A server boost is their own level, much like leveling your character in a game, each server has it's own level. If you get enough people paying for server boosts, you can get to the next level. But you have to sustain certain number of them to hit the different tiers.

So you can have a Discord Server for B3D and you could have your own Discord Server for just you and your friends. Each server has it's own set of channels/discussions/users/admins.

yes this part sounds bad, peer pressure etc.
As someone who does have to pay for Nitro because my kid *needs* it, I do sort of agree with this. I don't really see the value in the server boosts and I'm not really sure he does either, I think it's 100% a social status thing. And I don't see it being a really good value compared to what you get out of something like Netflix or Gamepass for $10. But, in my case, I've got a teenager who plays cheap indie games and stuff like Minecraft (Java) that I bought for him almost 10 years ago, so it isn't like he's draining my bank account asking for Fortnite coins or NBA 2k whatevers that cost money. I'm basically just OK with it because it makes him happy.

It depends on how MS handles it. If they let Discord run pretty much the same as now but with some additional microsoft integration why would anyone leave ?

Actually if they leave it as is but use it to power cross platform Microsoft Network chat more people may adopt it making it even harder for it to be replaced. Its not as simple as snapping fingers suddenly being able to create a discord.
I am old enough to have seen people drift around between platforms and brands for no real rational reason. That is why Google and Apple have been so effective. They make it harder for consumers to drift.

I didn't know Discord was labelled specifically as a videogame utility. We use it constantly at work.
another detail that surprised me some weeks ago when I found out that many companies use discord for internal organization.

I am old enough to have seen people drift around between platforms and brands for no real rational reason. That is why Google and Apple have been so effective. They make it harder for consumers to drift.

Right but right now discord is the one that has a ton of lock in and it can only grow if Microsoft adopts it and integrates it into their platform

That sounds about right with how kids function. I'm pretty sure they want it for the perks - for themselves and their favorite server.

Their Discord NITRO Perks FAQ @ https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000435108-Discord-Nitro-Classic-Nitro

Basically some better emotes, larger uploads for gifs or clips, higher quality video when sharing or streaming, and some server boosts.

Picture worth 1000 words on server boosting (from https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/360028038352 ):

View attachment 5367

From the Discord NITRO Games FAQ @ https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034828852-Where-did-Nitro-games-go-

Yea see MS can easily put most of this into Game pass ultimate. Sign up to game pass ultimate and get all these perks and ultimate perks

Our only complaint of Discord: the quality of streamed stuff (like shared screens) is really bad.

Even the boosted server or user streaming is straight out of the 90's in terms of bitrates.

Posted this in the Microsoft rumored to be acquiring thread but figured I may as well put it here too,

Microsoft Is in Exclusive Talks to Acquire Discord - WSJ

Microsoft is in exclusive talks with Discord according to the Wall street Journal with the deal possibly closing next month.

They certainly seem serious about Discord, anyone fancy betting (for kudos) on whether they will announce their intent to acquire discord by the end of April? I bet they will

Right but right now discord is the one that has a ton of lock in and it can only grow if Microsoft adopts it and integrates it into their platform

Yea see MS can easily put most of this into Game pass ultimate. Sign up to game pass ultimate and get all these perks and ultimate perks
Yeah, that's my belief also. And it would like like a good guy move to just add PC or console Gamepass as a perk to Nitro users, or add Nitro as a Gamepass Ultimate perk. But on the books, the $10 a month Nitro subs would just be written down as Gamepass sales and growth in that department will look massive.

Also, and I think we all agree on this, Nitro perks are basically nothing. It's not like Microsoft has to provide a content stream (outside of what they would already be doing with Gamepass anyway) for those perks.

Yeah, that's my belief also. And it would like like a good guy move to just add PC or console Gamepass as a perk to Nitro users, or add Nitro as a Gamepass Ultimate perk. But on the books, the $10 a month Nitro subs would just be written down as Gamepass sales and growth in that department will look massive.

Also, and I think we all agree on this, Nitro perks are basically nothing. It's not like Microsoft has to provide a content stream (outside of what they would already be doing with Gamepass anyway) for those perks.

Yea its better to just tie it to game pass. Game pass and Game pass PC now come with Discord nitro ! Game pass ultimate comes with it all and also Discord Series Nitro which adds these benefits. I'm not sure how many discord nitro people there are out there but they can just convert them all to game pass.

I also think discord uses amazon for their hosting ? So moving it to Azure will be a benefit for them and I bet you'd get better performance using it through all the xbox services too since it will sit on the same servers. Merge it into the current huge changes they are making to all the apps and add xcloud streaming right into discord and boom your cooking with fire

Not been following this because in my nieve mind it was crazy, $10B for a chat forum and voice chat which they already have.

Did understand it would be nice to get the social graph aspect, but still.

Guess then the chat etc will be powered by Xbox network.

If they really want to keep xbox live gold, maybe they could put discord in it since it will have even less reason to exist soon, and it gets sold to non xbox gamers also. May need to roll gold into discord branding than the other way around for now though.
As the trouble with these types of products, before you know it everyone is using something different if your not careful, and you probably don't want to give PS gamers any reason to switch.

Only been 2 pages, guess I'll go read them to understand it all.
My guess is the social network graph is a big chunk of what makes it worth so much though.

Back