Digital Foundry Article Technical Discussion [2021]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good thing to point out.
One thing I said in the video, but did not show examples of, is that I found pixel counts where the PS5 in performance mode was lower res than the PS4 in Quality mode. Makes sense though as it is targetting 60 fps with much higher particle resolution.

The PS5 in theory (at least on paper) should be able to handle both.

Edit: Weird your name was different when I replied to this. Thanks Alex!

Last edited:
I think it is me just being a bit purposefully obtuse when I say that wording :D
One reason is because the end resolution and even the internal resolution is not always very important IMO when 2 different ways to generate pixels are being used. For example, 1440p internal res upscaled to 4K with DLSS 2.0 would produce a very different and interesting looking image in comparison to near 1800p with TAA. Think about it. 1440p to 4K DLSS 2.0 vs. 1800p TAA vs. Checkerboard 4K. All have various internal resolutions - but the quality of the end product does not line up with their internal resolutions in ascending order.
Basically, I am trying to just decouple the discussion from the resolution numbers to start talking about image quality again. The numbers are not really interesting anymore to us at DF rather often.
Good thing to point out.
One thing I said in the video, but did not show examples of, is that I found pixel counts where the PS5 in performance mode was lower res than the PS4 in Quality mode. Makes sense though as it is targetting 60 fps with much higher particle resolution.

I bet 1x vs X shows similar story here.

@Dictator any idea why they just didn't go with dynamic res as xsx but with some lower bands on ps5 ? cb was maybe good for ps4pro but for sure is not good idea for ps5

CB should be almost a "free" way to improve your final perceived image quality on the pro / ps5. No reason to not use it.

Similarly why almost every UE4 game uses the temporal upsampling feature of the engine.

CB should be almost a "free" way to improve your final perceived image quality on the pro / ps5. No reason to not use it.

Similarly why almost every UE4 game uses the temporal upsampling feature of the engine.
not sure about CBR being free. Just less than doing native.
No upsampling technique is free. And depending on where it happens on the pipeline determines the amount of savings

Reactions: snc
I think it is me just being a bit purposefully obtuse when I say that wording :D
One reason is because the end resolution and even the internal resolution is not always very important IMO when 2 different ways to generate pixels are being used. For example, 1440p internal res upscaled to 4K with DLSS 2.0 would produce a very different and interesting looking image in comparison to near 1800p with TAA. Think about it. 1440p to 4K DLSS 2.0 vs. 1800p TAA vs. Checkerboard 4K. All have various internal resolutions - but the quality of the end product does not line up with their internal resolutions in ascending order.
Basically, I am trying to just decouple the discussion from the resolution numbers to start talking about image quality again. The numbers are not really interesting anymore to us at DF rather often.
Good thing to point out.
Thanks for your work. If I may ask, are the UI elements rendered at the same res as the rendering pass on XSX just like on the PS5, or are they decoupled from it?

not sure about CBR being free. Just less than doing native.
No upsampling technique is free. And depending on where it happens on the pipeline determines the amount of savings
Maybe in the future CBR might get used instead of a dynamic res. So instead of dropping the resolution, just fall back to CBR if the target-framerate is not reached.
This would combine a clear image with a slight blurrier if target is not met.
The other cool feature CBR (or reconstruction techs like DLSS) could be used for is going above 4k with the current resolution. Yes, CBR is not free, but a minimal drop in resolution if the target is met to reconstruction to a >4k resolution would be interesseting, too.

Yes, resolution does not really matter, but if there is some spare power left, it could be used to make some things a little bit better.

The smaller the pixels get, the less visible CBR artifacts should get.

I've found one big reson, quality is not so good as dynamic res

I've found one big reson, quality is not so good as dynamic res

Perhaps they compared
1018p vs 1440p checkerboard.
1600p vs 4k checkerboard
and decided the latter looked better somehow.

I agree with you they should have just used DRS and let the console adjust itself between 1018p and 1600p.

I hope Nixxes won't use the same CBR engine in their next game (
Perhaps they compared
1600p vs 4k checkerboard
I doubt it. They probably simply used the settings of the Pro version (as this was tested and QA) and simply ported that on PS5 knowing it was already tested as OK on PS4.

Perhaps they compared
1600p vs 4k checkerboard

I agree with you they should have just used DRS and let the console adjust itself between 1018p and 1600p.
highly doubt they checked drs results and found dynamic cb gives better image quality ;)

highly doubt they checked drs results and found dynamic cb gives better image quality ;)

I mean, they did originally choose the same setup on the pro over DRS. Pro's resolution is only slightly lower than PS5's 60 fps mode.

The higher your fps, the better results temporal reconstruction gives you.

Last edited:
I hope Nixxes won't use the same CBR engine in their next game (

I doubt it. They probably simply used the settings of the Pro version (as this was tested and QA) and simply ported that on PS5 knowing it was already tested as OK on PS4.

My thoughts exactly.

I mean, they did originally choose the same setup on the pro over DRS.
maybe in some sense its sony fault as they were pushing cb with ps4pro but I think dynamic res is much better option for ps5 (Death Stranging has opinion as good cb example but Valhalla dynamic res gives definitly better sharper results)

maybe in some sense its sony fault as they were pushing cb with ps4pro but I think dynamic res is much better option for ps5 (Death Stranging has opinion as good cb example but Valhalla dynamic res gives definitly better sharper results)

Valhalla uses temporal reconstruction. Good one at that.

UE4's and Ubisoft's implementation are great.

Valhalla uses temporal reconstruction. Good one at that.

UE4's and Ubisoft's implementation are great.
and do it very good, no problem with low internal resolution when end results is good but I'm not fan of cb

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back