Sony PlayStation VR2 (PSVR2)

So, the big thing here will be the haptics. That'll be nice for VR. Other than that, looks like it doesn't have the same finger tracking fidelity of the Valve Index nor the experimental hands free controls that Oculus has.

The haptics though. VR more than any other gaming medium really needs some sort of significant physical feedback. Haptics will be a good start, but it's still not going to be enough, and I'm not sure there will ever be anything that'll be good enough. VR needs something more than just resistance to finger force, it needs something that's resistant to full arm motion.

Regards,
SB
You won't experience this until direct-to-brain.
Which, although it sounds like total science fiction now, may not be a life time away.

That said, "needs" is a big word under these circumstances. VR is more immersive than sitting on your butt and looking at a screen as it is, and honestly it doesn't even need to be better, just a different and attractive option for entertainment.

Last edited:
when i ran "for my life" with my head trying to hide between my shoulders while being chased by the father in RE7, i knew how much more immersive VR was compared to traditionnal games.

The only thing that is missing from new PSVR controllers is full finger tracking and the ability to "let go" of the controller like on Index
valve-ofitsialno-prezentovala-svoyu-sobstvennuyu-vr-garnituru-nazvana-stoimost-i-data-reliza-1.gif

But it will do the basic job fine.
I thought it had finger tracking?

These are massive. Was the Hulk among the test group?
Yes They look unweldly, Sure I realize you want a gap between the back of your hand and the controller but this looks far too much of a gap.
Though I can see with it being nearly fully enclosed like this they are aiming to protect the hand, if you swing your hand around and hit a wall of something, I like the look of the ones from Diehards picture better

I thought it had finger tracking?
PSVR2 has has "finger touch detection", so most likely the gamepad will know when some of the fingers are not touching the grip. At best, system will detect absence of thumb and index finger. Releasing more fingers than that would cause controller dropping from the hand because there are no straps to prevent that.

PSVR2 has has "finger touch detection", so most likely the gamepad will know when some of the fingers are not touching the grip. At best, system will detect absence of thumb and index finger. Releasing more fingers than that would cause controller dropping from the hand because there are no straps to prevent that.

I don't know, watching the video demo on the other thread and reading the below...maybe you are underselling the capabilities?

"The controller can detect your fingers without any pressing in the areas where you place your thumb, index, or middle fingers. This enables you to make more natural gestures with your hands during gameplay"

We'll see about of the accuracy of finger position in space, but no matter what, users can't completely let goo all fingers like on Index because of the lack of the palm strap. If user is catching the ball from the air, he will not be able to naturally do it with fully open hand.

It's still great improvement when compared to Move.

We'll see about of the accuracy of finger position in space, but no matter what, users can't completely let goo all fingers like on Index because of the lack of the palm strap. If user is catching the ball from the air, he will not be able to naturally do it with fully open hand.

It's still great improvement when compared to Move.
Have we seen that feature being applied successfully in several games? Is it really essential to VR gaming right now?

I don't know, watching the video demo on the other thread and reading the below...maybe you are underselling the capabilities?

"The controller can detect your fingers without any pressing in the areas where you place your thumb, index, or middle fingers. This enables you to make more natural gestures with your hands during gameplay"
I don't think so.

Sounds to me like it means, it can detect those 3 finger positions when they are resting on the buttons (without pushing them in) and can detect when you lift your fingers off them. Much like the touch controllers already do. It allows you to make gestures with your fingers.. like pointing at things with the index, or a fist, or thumbs up.. ect.

I think they will have essentially 3 distinctions.. [button pressed in, resting on button or surface, and off button/surface] but I think Sony will do some clever work to animate them convincingly so maybe they look a bit more natural.

The shape of the controller looks optimized to see the fingers from the head strap when they are stretched out, and they also look shaped to offer a really nice weight balance while holding them. And you look much less likely to hit one controller with the other or the side of your body, like I sometimes do with the Touch.

Sony Interactive Entertainment President and PlayStation boss Jim Ryan says that the company’s next-generation VR system is a “strategic opportunity”.

Ryan said as such to Japanese publication, Nikkei, in a recent interview, adding that the potential market for VR is “huge”.

“The next generation VR system is a very strategic opportunity for PS,” he said (as translated on Systran). “We launched PSVR in 2016 and have had time to understand the VR experience for years. What I learned from VR is that the potential market is huge. I want to continue to provide a high gaming experience to keep the community entertained.”
https://uploadvr.com/jim-ryan-next-gen-vr-strategic-opportunity/

https://uploadvr.com/psvr-playstation-4k-eye
We don’t yet know the product’s name, but multiple sources tell us Sony shared details with partners. Those details include a resolution of 4000×2080 pixels (2000×2040 per eye), a lens separation adjustment dial, and gaze tracking capable of foveated rendering. A motor in the headset can be used by developers to give direct haptic feedback
Thats sounds amazing

Last edited:
will be interesting to see if they were able to solve eye tracking issues that oculus had or if this is a "dumb" foveated renderer. But the resolution should put it up close to other new headsets at time of release. Also great to see they are allowing physical idp adjustment. That is super important . Not sure how i feel about rumble in the headset, couldn't that lead to some health issues

Back