Movie Reviews 2.0

Don't tell me it is worse than Justice League was?

WW84 was a big turd in a completely different way to the first JL, which was also a turd.

Turns out big fat turds come in all shapes and sizes!!

Back to JL, I can’t believe that Joss Whedon saw what Snyder had done (albeit unfinished) and decided to puke all over it in that way. Gross.

There is something to be said for being forced by the studios to produce a 2 hour or less movie. I can't imagine the SnyderCut chopped down to 2 hours being any better than the theatrical version. It really should have been multiple movies and in different orders.

The real issue is the DCU never had their Iron Man success story so the studio would never commit to a 6 to 9 movie stretch. That's what was really needed from the base level to have Justice League and the others be successful.

Imagine what a shit show you'd have trying to tell the entire Marvel's Infinity Stones story in a mere 2 hour movie. That's what WB forced for the Justice League movie.

There is something to be said for being forced by the studios to produce a 2 hour or less movie. I can't imagine the SnyderCut chopped down to 2 hours being any better than the theatrical version. It really should have been multiple movies and in different orders.

The real issue is the DCU never had their Iron Man success story so the studio would never commit to a 6 to 9 movie stretch. That's what was really needed from the base level to have Justice League and the others be successful.

Imagine what a shit show you'd have trying to tell the entire Marvel's Infinity Stones story in a mere 2 hour movie. That's what WB forced for the Justice League movie.
Yes I think Snyder wanted to do a 3 hour movie in his own way (no fun, no humor, only serious drama like the way his cut is now) and he had to constantly fight the studio for this. When his daughter died he had not the will nor the energy to fight them anymore and he left the project.

Watched Tenet. It's alright but I had more fun watching Full Metal Jacket for the 10th time last week. Also the sound mixing in Tenet is fucked up. Be prepared to play remote control volume jokey if you want to hear voices but don't wake up the whole neighborhood when there is action on screen. This isn't a Tenet only fault by the way, a lot of recent movies and tv shows suffer from this to some extent. I get it, it probably works in a cinema (though even there I hate it when the action is too loud) but I'm not watching it in a cinema, I'm watching it in my living room and there are other humans around me. Is it that much to ask the audio is adjusted to be at least reasonably balanced?

Back to JL, I can’t believe that Joss Whedon saw what Snyder had done (albeit unfinished) and decided to puke all over it in that way. Gross.

Just finished watching and couldn't agree more! The movie was epic from the 1:30 hour mark on. Amazing battle scenes, Cyborg and Flash having great moments. Unbelievable what Joss removed for no reason at all! Ray Fisher definitely had reasons to be angry! Imagine signing up for a script and filming those scenes and then have them removed. Would be raging too!

Absolutely, Whedon was told to cut the movie to 2h but in that process he also added scenes and footage that made it really stupid (the jokes, the crass humour, the butt shots etc), trying to capture some of the Avengers magic, but that didn’t fit this vision at all. Also, Snyder’s ending is SO much better, what the hell happened there??

We now know Whedon was a humongous douche so it does explain it.

I just hope WB can get their act together and somehow continue the Snyder vision, which I feel nowadays would work perfectly in a 6-8 episode TV show.

I don’t think the Snyder cut would have worked in cinemas. Clearly you can’t release a 4h movie in cinemas, and cutting this down to 2 movies would have made the first one completely useless.

Finished the Snyder cut, and WOW what an improvement! Really enjoyed this, everything was so much better, the only thing I think was better in the Whedon version was the idea that Batman had thought to bring Lois to Calm Superman down, but that is as minor thing. Perhaps there were some other bits as well, but the overall plot and characters, especially Cyborg and imo Steppenwolf was improved hugely. The fight choreography and action scenes in general were on a completely another level here. Hands up who were sad to lose the constant cuts to the russian family in the final act? haha.

Well the first Avengers movie did not have much more setup done for it. They had a box-shaped McGuffin, just like in JL. Granted the McGuffin was carried over from CapAm movie, but the whole infinity stone stuff was not developed any further at that point.

They had various traces / hints of the various Infinity Stones in most of the earlier Marvel movies though it was subtle in some situations. They also had character development in those other movies. Could you imagine trying to introduce half of The Avengers team for the first time in a singular 2 hour Infinity Stones movie? That's what DCU did with Justice League (Cyborg, The Flash, and Aquaman). Instead they had other movies to do the character development first and split the main confrontation out over 2 movies, runtimes of 2:36 and 3:01 respectively.

Infinity stones in phase 1? Pfft. It was just a weird blue box until then and that's it.
Character introduction of course was an obvious failure in JL. But honestly, I fell asleep several times before finishing either Thor and Cap (first viewing on bluray, only saw Iron Man in theatre).

Infinity stones in phase 1? Pfft. It was just a weird blue box until then and that's it.

I never said Phase 1, I said Single Movie, such as what DCU did with Justice League and the Mother Boxes. They had all Infinity Stones mentioned in movies outside of the last 2 Infinity Stone movies.

Space Stone, The Tesseract in Captain America: The First Avenger
Reality Stone, Aether in Thor: The Dark World
Power Stone, the orb in Guardians of the Galaxy
Mind Stone, Loki's Staff in Avengers: Age of Ultron
Time Stone, Eye of Agamotto pendant in Doctor Strange
Soul Stone, just in the first Infinity Stone movie Avengers: Infinity War

I never said Phase 1, I said Single Movie, such as what DCU did with Justice League and the Mother Boxes.

Well you didn't but I did when comparing the first Avengers to JL. Frankly the whole JL is quite fuzzy in my memory as I actively hated it, but I did not consider the motherf'n boxes anything more than the standard magical excuse for a pending apocalypse, not any different than Loki using the tesseract to create gateway for the endless horde of whatever those flying sods were.
But JL clearly did try to put way too much of everything in the film, that is agreed.

This Zach Snyder version is fantastic. I'm half way through and really enjoying the slow story telling scenes. I can see why Whedon and WB made what they did, destroying an in depth experience for the sake of creating a default 2 hour Hollywood hero movie which sucked. That's what they thought they needed to do to make money with the normal audience. Fuck em.

You know I did watch the JL movie when it came out, but for the life of me I cant tell you a single thing about it other than the characters that were in it

Back