Forspoken (Project Athia) [PS5, PC]

• Thread starter Deleted member 7537
  • Start date
CEDEC conference is this week where Athia devs gave a talk on procedurally creating open worlds. Probably first look at some assets and world lighting for forests areas in Project Athia. LP typically uses their game in development as demonstrations for the engine update talks.

Session content

Placing a vast world map by hand has already reached its limit.
LUMINOUS ENGINE has developed a system that uses node-based tools to describe rules and automatically arrange plants, houses, rivers, gimmicks, etc. with meaning.
Tool design philosophy, optimization techniques for calculating vast areas in real time,
By what kind of calculation do you finally decide the location?
We will share the technology filled with the know-how of each artist and engineer.
wow look at that, all the things the SlipSpace Engine can't do.

... I kid...
or not.... sad if true.

Athia_Mesa_Vista-t75m4zv7y.jpg

Athia_Frey_vs_Bear-b1flh7es9.jpg

Athia_Frey_Parkour_Leap-25gk09oae.jpg

yes though all the trees look tiny as well as the small rocks and no ground shadows from the person thus I assume this person is high up in the air, flying or jumped off a cliff?
It does look pretty good though, though mainly due to good quality assests and nothing special in the engine AFAIKS

It doesnt look all that great when you compare it with Horizon Zero Dawn. Yes I am referring to the original on PS4 :LOL:

I guess the reason is hiding discontinuities with using just one color. As the scene is composed form a limited number of rock / vegetation models, you want those models to be similar and uniform. Otherwise they pop out and form unwanted patterns.
Now, with increasing level of detail this problem becomes harder to solve again, forcing them to make stuff even more uniform? But IDK, lacking experience with current days detailed assets.
Maybe it's indeed just art direction and they want it this way?
If not, some low frequency data to alter colors gradually could help at low cost?

Though I presume this one has its custom engine?
Yeah their own, but i don't think it's related to engines. Quake was maybe the first to demonstrate this problem :)

Recently it often seems that grey / brownish look of UE3 days is coming back.

I guess the reason is hiding discontinuities with using just one color. As the scene is composed form a limited number of rock / vegetation models, you want those models to be similar and uniform. Otherwise they pop out and form unwanted patterns.
Now, with increasing level of detail this problem becomes harder to solve again, forcing them to make stuff even more uniform? But IDK, lacking experience with current days detailed assets.
Maybe it's indeed just art direction and they want it this way?
If not, some low frequency data to alter colors gradually could help at low cost?

Yeah their own, but i don't think it's related to engines. Quake was maybe the first to demonstrate this problem :)

Pretty sure it's just from the different time of day and various cloud/weather systems on Luminous. In FFXV even with a slight change in the the post effects, sky and time of day will have a drastic effect on the hue/colors of the whole game world & objects, some sky conditions giving more muted colors. In the debug build you can change the sky conditions at will.

ffxvskylightingqzjnw.png

In the previous dev footage for their new game they showed clear blue skies and everything was bright and green compared to the conditions in the new trailer.

forspoken12resizedelezkkfd.png

forspokendelete49k9i.png

forspoken233305kjt.png

Last edited:
Pretty sure it's just from the different time of day and various cloud/weather systems on Luminous.
Basically you demonstrate how they use color grading to fake TOD and weather conditions, hihi :D

It's interesting how the city image with the blue sky looks worst, while most colorful. All other images look better and more natural. Limiting color also helps with hiding lighting issues, but i assume that's more an issue of the past.
I'm not sure what i complain about. I had similar issues when editing real world photos and movies for work, and i remember those problems were amplified with the move from film to digital. It was not possible to fix them with grading, and i never understood the exact reasons.

Loveing the gameplay footage. also reminescent of the UE5 demo a bit.
I just hope the magnificent landscapes won't be too empty.
The traversial animation looks good. But the animation when she is blocking or attacking the ennemies looks a bit stiff to me.
Can't wait to learn and see more.

Back