The scalability and evolution of game engines *spawn*

Ah yes, if there's one thing we never hear about with regards to next gen consoles is when a game doesn't run at full 4k.
we here about it. But I don't see anyone saying that the Xbox series X shouldn't be called a 4k box and instead should be called a 1440p box. Same with the PS5.

The hate the series s gets is not really warranted. Developers can target whatever resolution they want on the series S and will pick the best one for their systems. Later on when Direct ML upscaling hits the majority of people will not care.

The series S is the cheapest entry into next gen. When you compare it to other systems in its price range like the one s and ps4 its a much better value. If your a parent and want your kids to game with you and have their own device it allows that while costing less. With all access its a low price point for anyone to get in and you get a ton of games to play with game pass.

we here about it. But I don't see anyone saying that the Xbox series X shouldn't be called a 4k box and instead should be called a 1440p box. Same with the PS5.

The hate the series s gets is not really warranted. Developers can target whatever resolution they want on the series S and will pick the best one for their systems. Later on when Direct ML upscaling hits the majority of people will not care.

The series S is the cheapest entry into next gen. When you compare it to other systems in its price range like the one s and ps4 its a much better value. If your a parent and want your kids to game with you and have their own device it allows that while costing less. With all access its a low price point for anyone to get in and you get a ton of games to play with game pass.
We've gone from "MS never marketed it as a 1440p box" (untrue, as shown) to it's getting 'hate', this is getting a little silly. It's a very fine machine for its price bracket, albeit with the Digital PS5 at $400 I'm not sure on a pure hardware comparison it has superlative 'value' when you consider how much more the PS5 brings to table in terms of capability for just $100 more. Obviously though, gamepass makes the overall value proposition more than just about comparing the initial hardware price.

We've gone from "MS never marketed it as a 1440p box" (untrue, as shown) to it's getting 'hate', this is getting a little silly. It's a very fine machine for its price bracket, albeit with the Digital PS5 at $400 I'm not sure on a pure hardware comparison it has superlative 'value' when you consider how much more the PS5 brings to table in terms of capability for just $100 more. Obviously though, gamepass makes the overall value proposition more than just about comparing the initial hardware price.
you might have gone from that. I never said that it wasn't marketed as a 1440p box because it was and still is. So I don't get what your trying to say here.

The fact of the matter is everyone is jumping onto the point that it plays forza at 1080. But no one says anything about the other two consoles failing to render all games at 4k.

Why would MS market forza and say 1440p when it only runs at 1080p.

I guess, just so there's no confusion in the future.
  • PS5 - 4k console that doesn't always hit 4k.
  • XBS-X - 4k console that doesn't always hit 4k.
  • XBS-S - 1440p console that doesn't always hit 1440p.
There, end of discussion? :p

Probably not, it'll probably keep coming up for the XBS-S even if the PS5 and the XBS-X also suffer from the exact same thing.

[EDIT] - also, some things to think about. XBSS runs a few games natively at 4k. Does either the PS5 or XBS-X run any games at higher than advertised resolution? Hmmm, look like Ori has a mode where it'll run 6k native on XBS-X, but then it'll down sample the final output to 4k. Do any PS5 games run at higher than 4k resolution? It should be capable of it, so this isn't saying that just because no developer has done it that it can't. I'm just honestly curious if any games on PS5 natively render at higher than 4k?

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
When it comes to marketing consoles and resolution, PS4 pro and Xbox One X were both marketed as being 4k consoles and I would say the vast number of titles released with explicit support for those boxes wither didn't render at 4k at all, or even if they had a drs ceiling of 4k, spent much of the time below that. And plenty of games used reconstruction or temporal accumulation to fill a 4k buffer. Is that "real 4k".

Misleading resolution claims in marketing isn't a new thing. Examples from memory include Sony marketing PS1 as offering "broadcast quality" video playback while in reality... Well I guess that isn't a regulated term since you could broadcast anything, but the FMV quality in PS1 games was impressive for the time, but never had the color depth of broadcast TV, and had plenty of compression artifacts. Also, PS3 was 1080p, if anyone remembers the marketing shade they were throwing at Xbox for not supporting 1080p or HDMI. There are plenty of games from 360 or PS3 that fail to reach the HD standard by rendering lower than 720p.

you might have gone from that. I never said that it wasn't marketed as a 1440p box because it was and still is. So I don't get what your trying to say here.

The fact of the matter is everyone is jumping onto the point that it plays forza at 1080. But no one says anything about the other two consoles failing to render all games at 4k.

Why would MS market forza and say 1440p when it only runs at 1080p.

The most likely answer is XSX , PS5 and PS5 DE have the most likely chance of mostly hitting 4k and/or very close to it. But XSS has the least likely chance of hitting 1440p, and will tend lower back to last generation output (not just in pure resolution, but also in jettisoned next gen features to be even closer to last gen).

Actually, I expect XSX and PS5 to trend towards 1600p or so and XSS to trend towards 1080p. Both are over-promising in the resolution department, but I think most of us here would welcome that as long as we get good IQ and 60 fps.

Back