Current Generation Games Analysis Technical Discussion [2020-2021] [XBSX|S, PS5, PC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's 10% smaller. I'd say that's a worthwhile difference. Especially when you consider the relative space available per system (Series X vs PS5).

That's 10% smaller. I'd say that's a worthwhile difference. Especially when you consider the relative space available per system (Series X vs PS5).

That may simply come down to game packaging and not related to asset/resource compression at all. Hard to tell without a deep-dive.

That may simply come down to game packaging and not related to asset/resource compression at all. Hard to tell without a deep-dive.
Maybe, but if Microsoft are packaging games in a way that adds 10% install size to games that's no less an issue for storage.

Current gen game's install sizes versus large gen show impressive savings, though.

Spiderman used almost entire BD disc on PS4, but duplicated data was 11GB. So in some games, duplicated data could really be big.

True, but given the small storage available on the current generation of consoles, every GB is important. A 10% reduction in size means that instead of 10 games installed you get 11. Or, perhaps storage parity when compared to xbox, if that's what is important to someone.

True, but given the small storage available on the current generation of consoles, every GB is important. A 10% reduction in size means that instead of 10 games installed you get 11. Or, perhaps storage parity when compared to xbox, if that's what is important to someone.

We'd have to look at more multiplatform titles to get a better idea. So it may not be 10% but a flat 2GB or such.

That 10% would have to leap up to 23% to reach parity going off usable 650 vs 802.

We'd have to look at more multiplatform titles to get a better idea. So it may not be 10% but a flat 2GB or such.

That 10% would have to leap up to 23% to reach parity going off usable 650 vs 802.
I guess the difference is more platform related than really have to do with the hardware difference. E.g. even really tiny games, that came from xb360 and were arround 50MB in size now have a size auf >600MB on xbox one. Games that are even very small on PC are way bigger on xbox one. It really seems that games deliver a bit of extra data needed for operation (e.g. SDK DLLs or whatever) on at least xbox one consoles and if I would guess, it should be still the same on the Series consoles.

Maybe, but if Microsoft are packaging games in a way that adds 10% install size to games that's no less an issue for storage.

Current gen game's install sizes versus large gen show impressive savings, though.

Each game runs in their own VM space, so I wonder if there's more heft in things that are only included in a game by game basis versus being included in the OS install by default. That could go a ways towards explaining some of the relative differences in size.

Not that it would help determine whether this is indeed part of what's happening, but it suddenly made me curious about what the actual OS install size for each of the consoles. Again, not that the sizes would be comparable since the OSes are different, but just out of curiousity.

Regards,
SB

Fun fact revealed ...

All current games with ray tracing implementations use a max recursion depth of 1 since developers found out that using higher recursion depth was slow even on Nvidia HW ...

Spiderman used almost entire BD disc on PS4, but duplicated data was 11GB. So in some games, duplicated data could really be big.
Duplicated data was only 11GB out of a 47GB installation?

One would have thought that a game so dependent on constant data streaming would have a lot more duplicated data than just 25% of the total data volume.

Duplicated data was only 11GB out of a 47GB installation?

One would have thought that a game so dependent on constant data streaming would have a lot more duplicated data than just 25% of the total data volume.
I think it depends how much duplicated data they are willing to use in their games. I'd say they could often use as much as they can until they fill the blueray disc.

Fun fact revealed ...

All current games with ray tracing implementations use a max recursion depth of 1 since developers found out that using higher recursion depth was slow even on Nvidia HW ...

Are we talking full RT (i.e., shadows, reflection, lighting, etc.)? Or, RT lighting only? Because Gears PC settings allows for 32 bounced light rays for each pixel within Coalition's RT screen space GI solution. And if I'm not mistaken, Minecraft RT allows for multiple bounces as well.

Reactions: HLJ
If consumers care about 10% less space due to larger file sizes, then Sony's in big trouble for having a 23% smaller drive to begin with.

In reality, almost no one cares.

I think Quake II RTX allows for higher order recursion, and Minecraft RTX :D

Well here's Quake II RTX code for starters ... ;)

VkRayTracingPipelineCreateInfoKHR rt_pipeline_info = {
.maxPipelineRayRecursionDepth = 1,
}

Are we talking full RT (i.e., shadows, reflection, lighting, etc.)? Or, RT lighting only? Because Gears PC settings allows for 32 bounced light rays for each pixel within Coalition's RT screen space GI solution. And if I'm not mistaken, Minecraft RT allows for multiple bounces as well.

Either way all I know is that no games in the wild so far have attempted to create an RT PSO with a recursion depth of greater than 1 outside of Microsoft's DXR demo or possibly some professional applications which aren't real games to begin with ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back