Anyone remember this WWII shooter on proprietary tech from 2006-ish?

inlimbo

Newcomer
I don't know that it ever came out. For all I know it was a funding scam. But I have really clear memories of some independent European developer showing off a proprietary engine of really impressive technology and using it to showcase some WWII shooter they were building focusing on the African campaigns. They seemed to regularly drop footage of tech demos from 2005-2007, iirc, and then kind of disappeared.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? I'd like to dig up that footage for curiosity's sake but I can't remember the name of the game or their engine at this point.

In trying to google this I'm starting to doubt my recollection of this as WWII shooter. Maybe it was something more contemporary. In any case it seemed after a certain kind of verisimilitude in some kind of campaign in North Africa.

Was it more historically accurate or did it have fantasy or scifi elements in it? My initial thought was something like Iron Storm or Bet On Soldier, but those are alternate history games that don't even take place in Africa. It's tough, because that was a really active time for European games. You had People Can Fly starting out, Action Forms making bonkers stuff back then, Techland hitting their stride and really trying to push their engine. 4D Rulers, not sure if they are European or not, but they made Gore and shopped their engine around pretty hard back then. Crytech, Croteam, GSC Game World and a ton of smaller studios were churning out stuff back then, and sometimes they would release demos for things that would be repackaged into a totally different project. Crytech's dinosaur island demo famously became Farcry. What you are remembering might have been a tech demo that was just that. Actually, Farcry 2 would have been demoed back in 06 or 07, takes place in Africa and they were really tech focused showing off all the simulation aspects of the engine. But it wasn't developed in Europe.

It wasnt Terrorist Takedown: Conflict In Mogadishu was it ?
edit: WW2 Doh....

Last edited:
None of those, sadly. Thank you for the suggestions, though. Forgot about this thread. It was going for realism, not sci fi/alt history, as far as I remember. The game had really impressive dynamic lighting in its tech demos and had a kind of "painterly realism" all around.

Likely baked indirect lighting and fully dynamic shadow maps. I spent hours googling this back when I made this thread but came up empty. Shouldn't be so hard to find. I wish so many old video archives hadn't died.

More details: demo showcased a North African city street/alley (think Cairo or Tangier) with sandstone architecture. Might have even been an open air cafe or something along those lines. Demoed time of day changes and animation there. Soldiers in white uniforms (i think?), not that this makes much sense if it's WW2 Africa.

After more googling I'm starting to think this might have been a project running on Artificial Studios' Reality Engine either before or after it was sold to Epic. For some reason Reality Engine really rings a bell, assuming I'm not just thinking of SGI's reality engine. It's not Cellfactor or any of the games listed here: https://web.archive.org/web/20070601004621/http://artificialstudios.com/media.php (had no idea City of Metronome was a Reality Engine game. Would've thought UE2. Still wish that game saw the light of day). And google's turning up nothing related to what I've described, so maybe not. Really rings a bell, though, and despite Artificial Studios being based in Florida it doesn't rule out a european dev working with their tech.

It's also not Project Reality, as I said, but the WW2/whatever demo had Project Reality vibes.

Back