Playstation 5 [PS5] [Release November 12 2020]

Bloodborne has a too big potential for some future remaster release.

The same as for Demons Souls, it was #1 requested game for re-release for years.

I just bought Mk11 ultimate or whatever it is called. Me and my son played a lot of VS with X. And ... Wow it looks so good at times! Such nice HDR lighting and sharp graphics. If they can improve the shadows from hair a little that would be great, but there have been genuine Wow moments. The levels look much better and often have really nice lighting variation from side to side.

It is also nice that in story mode they break up the endless cinematics with the occasional gameplay [emoji28]. But definitely the art design has improved, really some lovely backgrounds.

And haven’t even played with Robocop, T-800 or Rambo yet, those will be fun for multiplayer I’m sure.

I just bought Mk11 ultimate or whatever it is called. Me and my son played a lot of VS with X. And ... Wow it looks so good at times! Such nice HDR lighting and sharp graphics. If they can improve the shadows from hair a little that would be great, but there have been genuine Wow moments. The levels look much better and often have really nice lighting variation from side to side.

It is also nice that in story mode they break up the endless cinematics with the occasional gameplay [emoji28]. But definitely the art design has improved, really some lovely backgrounds.

And haven’t even played with Robocop, T-800 or Rambo yet, those will be fun for multiplayer I’m sure.

The really awesome graphics and the really fast load times give me a very strong Arcade cabinet Vibe on this game the likes of which I haven’t had in a long time. And although much less ambitious technically, sometimes the graphics have that same impact of God of War 3 of being almost like concept art drawings.

Yes, MK11 looks awsome, unfortunetly other big figting games like Tekken7, DOA6, Soul Calibur 6 kinda still in ps3 era, probably budget not big enough for this games.

I also got it a few weeks ago cause it was cheap, and my mind was blown over and over, it looks incredible!

Yes, MK11 looks awsome, unfortunetly other big figting games like Tekken7, DOA6, Soul Calibur 6 kinda still in ps3 era, probably budget not big enough for this games.

Eh, I think it comes down a lot to taste preference. MK11 has a higher production budget than any other fighter on the market, that's a fact. But I can name many other fighters with better animations (which matter a lot for a fighter) than it.

GG Xrd, GG Strive, SFV, Tekken 7 are some that immediately come to mind. By "animations", I mean moves that look like they have some kinetic energy to them. Weight to the impact, flair etc. NR's games have some wonky hit animations and physics to some of the animations IMO. Maybe it works for their style, but I think other fighters handle it better (tho I've always felt this way in terms of MK vs. SF/Fatal Fury/Tekken etc. going back to the '90s).

I'm really interested what 120 FPS does for fighting games this gen; could fundamentally be used to impact complexity in a positive way going forward.

Eh, I think it comes down a lot to taste preference. MK11 has a higher production budget than any other fighter on the market, that's a fact. But I can name many other fighters with better animations (which matter a lot for a fighter) than it.

GG Xrd, GG Strive, SFV, Tekken 7 are some that immediately come to mind. By "animations", I mean moves that look like they have some kinetic energy to them. Weight to the impact, flair etc. NR's games have some wonky hit animations and physics to some of the animations IMO. Maybe it works for their style, but I think other fighters handle it better (tho I've always felt this way in terms of MK vs. SF/Fatal Fury/Tekken etc. going back to the '90s).

I'm really interested what 120 FPS does for fighting games this gen; could fundamentally be used to impact complexity in a positive way going forward.
new gg looks great tough I'm not a fun of keeping 24 frames animation look

new gg looks great tough I'm not a fun of keeping 24 frames animation look

x3 Hey it's a preferential taste I'll admit. I'm pretty big into anime so it's not a bother for me, important part is the parts usually accentuated correlate to the frame data and parts that are de-emphasized they can afford to do without messing up the frame data. Another reason they tend to do it is to keep the pacing high without the animations looking like some old film stock from the 1890s :p

Yeah, one of the cool things about sprite work is that movement was normally at 60 fps but animation was at a lower rate - not normally a fixed rate, but with data saved and changes selected to emphasise the most striking features of the animation.

Anime has (used to have?) a similar focus on spending resources drawing the most important frames. Same as comic books, really.

x3 Hey it's a preferential taste I'll admit. I'm pretty big into anime so it's not a bother for me, important part is the parts usually accentuated correlate to the frame data and parts that are de-emphasized they can afford to do without messing up the frame data. Another reason they tend to do it is to keep the pacing high without the animations looking like some old film stock from the 1890s :p
For sure preferential, for example I'm not able to watch Spiderman Universum (here 12 fps), it looks horrendous to me (btw kudos for Insomniac for bringing this mode, managed to play with it on for 5 minutes ;d)

Has anyone tried to download the PS5 update for Crash 4? Seemingly I can’t get it.
Had to call customer support and they’ll look at this in the next 2 working days.
Just another day in the “PS5 UPDATES: SHOULD NOT BE THIS F’KING COMPLICATED” life.

Yeah, one of the cool things about sprite work is that movement was normally at 60 fps but animation was at a lower rate - not normally a fixed rate, but with data saved and changes selected to emphasise the most striking features of the animation.

Anime has (used to have?) a similar focus on spending resources drawing the most important frames. Same as comic books, really.

Anime? Generally it still does. Everything switched to purely digital a long time back tho. Honestly since I watch both new and old anime I kind of prefer the background art in older anime, especially the horror/psychological/sci-fi style ones. The graininess added to the atmosphere in them. It's been very cool seeing the evolution of 3D cel-shaded work being animated like an anime, tho. Dorohedoro's a really good example of it (I hope it gets a 2nd season).

I guess we still have Vanillaware and the Indivisible devs still doing big-budget 2D sprite-style art, do wish there were more indie games going for high-budget MegaDrive/SNES/Saturn/Neo-Geo style 2D sprite art tho. Like the new Pocky & Rocky game kind of.

For sure preferential, for example I'm not able to watch Spiderman Universum (here 12 fps), it looks horrendous to me (btw kudos for Insomniac for bringing this mode, managed to play with it on for 5 minutes ;d)

Oh that's the animated Spiderman movie right? xD, I think I can see how that isn't to everyone's visual taste, it was nice to see for a big-budget mainstream animated film tho. You don't see it too often.

Reactions: snc
Has anyone tried to download the PS5 update for Crash 4? Seemingly I can’t get it.
Had to call customer support and they’ll look at this in the next 2 working days.
Just another day in the “PS5 UPDATES: SHOULD NOT BE THIS F’KING COMPLICATED” life.

You should have bought a squirrel.

Tommy McClain

MS and sony are having generational pains. In the past BC was done through hardware so it was a fixed thing. But now everyone has to feel out what it means. For sony its a bit harder because MS has invested in emulation and are able to back to the original xbox and even boost games to add features that didn't exist in the past like HDR or higher frame rates. I would also bet my bottom dollar that tomorrow (some day in the not so distant future) MS well be able to figure out how to force machine learning and get older games up to 4k. Imagine playing xbox and 360 games at 4k direct ML with 60 or a 120 fps. MS on the other hand has had trouble getting truly next gen games out.

For sony they did a good job with games like demon souls and expansions like miles morales. But their BC stuff... its a hot mess .

I hope for the fans they fix it soon.

They just went for much better than from PS3 to PS4 ... and have to say, every game works, so that’s a big, big step. It would have been nice if game save transfer wouldn’t have been extra work to the developers though, that’s the biggest thing they left on the table. For me that hasn’t been an issue yet, but it could have been for some games every once in a while if I had replaced my PS4 with my PS5 entirely.

But I wanted to pick up God of War again on PS5 and that game did have a seamless transition. My son plays mostly GTA V online and that would have worked as well. So we’ve been lucky in that respect.

Back