Wife's new Ryzen PC build

@Davros interesting design, thanks! The VRM fan is a great addition since you no longer have any airflow over the VRM heatsinks with AIOs. I like the lack of RGB and a single CPU PWM connector.. Gamers Nexus really likes it as well.

Have you had an AIO and had bad experiences? Or speaking anecdotally? I've always done air and really wanted to try out water for once.
Had two. The stock phenom 9590 cooler and the one on my R9 295x2. The one on the R9 295x2 still works fine, the 9590 one conked out early in life. Both gurgled.

Obviously these are from years ago and the newer ones are probably much better, I'm just not a huge fan of water even though it works so well.

My old PC started intermittently beeping six times on startup and couldn’t figure out why so finally bought a new PC this weekend. Not meant as a gaming PC but decided to at least take a fairly decent GPU for some VR. It’s not a monster, but it can be upgraded easily and a lot in the future when chips are back in ample supply. Only got round to setting it up, and Oculus Link didn’t immediately work so impressions will come later, but setting it up and installing software at least was really, really fast. ;)

I5 hex, RTX 2060 and 16GB ram (with 3 of 4 slots empty that’s probably the first thing I’ll upgrade.

The old PC will probably need a new MOBO but my son may like it for some gaming, it’s still quite good, so will look for one that is i7 3770 DDR3 compatible first, maybe second hand.

Arctic 120mm AIO arrived today. Installed and so far it's 10-20c cooler depending on the workload, but more importantly, at lot quieter.

Have you had an AIO and had bad experiences? Or speaking anecdotally? I've always done air and really wanted to try out water for once.
We had a customer come in with a dead GPU a while back. Turned out his Corsair AIO had leaked onto the GPU and fried it. Corsair actually compensated him some for the GPU in the warranty claim, but I think they gave him like $150 for the GTX980 he spent >$500 on.

My main problem with AIOs is that they aren't necessary. Unless I guess you're running a modern Intel CPU, those things can draw well over 200W from what I've read. Man the times have changed :LOL:

They are good for clearance some of the high end air coolers look like house bricks with heatpipes attached.
yXozfp7.jpg

Glad to hear it my aio is inaudible from my sitting position certainly couldnt say that about the wraith cooler that came with my Ryzen 7
ps: Jst to put Digi's mind at rest does it gurgle ;)

Tell me about it. I was stuck with the Prism Wraith for a bit after purchasing a 3900X, and while it's a nice looking cooler IMO... MAN was that thing insanely noisy, and CONSTATNLY shifting RPMs.

I've done air cooled builds, full dual rad custom water cooled builds... as well as AIOs. And while I've had my fun with custom water cooling.. those days are over. I love the simplicity in just getting a clean AIO, throwing it in and being done.

My Corsair H100i Elite Capellix AIO is dead silent. No constant shifting of RPMs, and temps have dropped quite a bit. I only went with the 240mm, but I kinda wish I would have went with the 360mm version, just to fill out the case a bit more.

20210313-114108.jpg

20210313-113915.jpg

plus although my gfx card isnt the same as yours (my 2070 only needs 1 8pin) apart from that it actually looks identical very similar back plate and same geforce rtx lit up
1 pet peeve about modern cases is the cable for the front usb 3.0 is so goddam thick and not that bendable

Tell me about it. I was stuck with the Prism Wraith for a bit after purchasing a 3900X, and while it's a nice looking cooler IMO... MAN was that thing insanely noisy, and CONSTATNLY shifting RPMs.

I've done air cooled builds, full dual rad custom water cooled builds... as well as AIOs. And while I've had my fun with custom water cooling.. those days are over. I love the simplicity in just getting a clean AIO, throwing it in and being done.

My Corsair H100i Elite Capellix AIO is dead silent. No constant shifting of RPMs, and temps have dropped quite a bit. I only went with the 240mm, but I kinda wish I would have went with the 360mm version, just to fill out the case a bit more.

20210313-114108.jpg

20210313-113915.jpg

Whoaw, it's so clean, impressive, very nice setup. I dig the all white look.

I remember the days when we needed multiple 3'5 and 5' bays and only had black fans...

Ryzen 5800X
How hard/expensive is it to get a 5800X in your zone, at the moment?

It looks like availability maybe getting better in the near future as the 3080 Ti and 3070 Ti will have the crypto rate limiter.
Narrator's voice: It did not get better in the near future..

Let's see if nvidia doesn't accidentally unlock the rate limiter for those cards, like they did with the 3060.

Ok sorry, what's MIA is the 12-core 5900X (the one I wanted!). It seems the 5800X is pretty good on availability, even if a bit overpriced at the moment.

When I was searching for a new CPU in France, I never saw the 5900 available. And it was listed at 749euro at best.

Back