Final Fantasy VII Remake

So, I've the PS4 version already. If I want the PS5 version, I've to buy the DLC ?
All owners of digital/retail PS4 editions of FF7R get the nextgen update [a new entry in their library to download PS5 version of the game] for free.

DLC is optional purchase for PS5 version of the game.

All owners of digital/retail PS4 editions of FF7R get the nextgen update [a new entry in their library to download PS5 version of the game] for free.

Thx for the clarification.

I'm seeing that the March PS+ version won't be upgradable to the PS5 NextGen version. That's a mistake, right?

Apparently not? So strange.
Not if they allow you to 'upgrade' to the 'real' version for $5-10 so as to get 'free' upgrade. But next to Control where Sony/Remedy just tossed the upgraded PS5 version into PS+ it does look.. what's the word? GREEDY. :yep2:

But I'm actually ok with this in this specific case. I have gotten into JRPGs over the last couple of years years but I'm really selective about them as I find many too long and too grindy. The PS+ version of FFVII:R will let me decide if this game is different and if I genuinely still like it after 30 hours, I'll buy (at PS+ discount) the 'full' version eligible for PS5 pixels upgrade and DLC.

Not if they allow you to 'upgrade' to the 'real' version for $5-10 so as to get 'free' upgrade. But next to Control where Sony/Remedy just tossed the upgraded PS5 version into PS+ it does look.. what's the word? GREEDY. :yep2:

FFVII:R is 11 months old and I'd bet it was a lot more expensive to make than Control (not to mention the value of the franchise itself).

Sony wants their 1st/2nd party games and Plus to be a sustainable business from day one. It's a very different strategy compared to gamepass.
Maybe the only way to make sense out of bundling such a high profile and recent game was for it to be accompanied by the announcement of a non-offered upgraded version for the new console, perhaps with the Plus bundle to even work as an advertisement for the new product.

I too hope for them to sell an upgrade to the Plus version, but I'm not really counting on it. On the other hand, games that go through Plus tend to get a lot cheaper in the retail channels afterwards so I wouldn't be surprised if, by the time Intergrade comes out in June, we'll be able to get the PS4 disc version for $25 or less, with the digital PSN version going to that price range too.

Also, Control being offered in February with the free PS5 upgrade was not really seen with kind eyes after 505 had demanded people to buy the Ultimate version of the game to get that same upgrade, just 4 months before.

Loving the game so far but what the hell kind of pants is Cloud wearing?
I also downloaded this but now having a dilemma of whether FF VII or FF XV will be the next RPG I start. :runaway:

A lot of it is nostalgia for me, Final Fantasy 7 blew my 14 year old mind and I never replayed it, so it's been a long time.

It has actually brought a bit of joy back into gaming for me that I had lost recently.
I don't think its only nostalgia. Developers were more talented back then. Today it's just a deluge of boring and uninspired open world slogs. I think a lot of it it a direct result of what I consider to be very negative societal trends.

I wouldn't hold my breath on it at all. I can easily see it being a resource starvation spiral, where the developer resources needed to produce a PC/XBox version are busy working on the next financially augmented title.

I would no be suprise than FF7 Remake release two years after PS4 release on other systems. Same it seems FF16 exclusivity is at least one year and Forspoken is two years.

Back