Microsoft Digital Events [2021]

Hololens is not a consumer level device. For example PS has PSVR - its own dedicated VR headset. So if PS will come up with something interesting regarding VR - though they seem do not have aresearch division - they can easily deliver it to the end user. While in case of MS it creates some API or standard that may or may not be used and so on.

HoloLens isn't meant to be a consumer level device, so I'm not sure why there are comparisons to PSVR?

It's a successful business/professional device in a market where PSVR is wholly unsuited. They play in different markets and target different things. IIRC - MS is currently the market leader in that segment (small as it is), although there are more competitors springing up.

Would it be fair to claim that Sony failed to promote PSVR because it doesn't sell in the space that HoloLens sells in? No? Then it's also not fair to say that MS has failed to promote HoloLens in the market that it wasn't targetting.

The only mistake that MS had made thus far, IMO, is that they unveiled the first device during a consumer trade show. But at least they didn't compound that problem by doing something silly like claiming it would come to the consumer market (they always said it wasn't coming to the consumer market anytime soon ... IE - years).

While some of the demonstrations have shown some applicability to the consumer market, IMO that's ore of a demonstration to show the variety of use cases it "could" be used for, not necessarily the markets that MS is currently targetting.

Weird seeing these comparisons. Like seeing people complain that the latest Ferrari is a failure because it fails to sell as much as a Ford F-150 and that people that buy Ford F-150's don't buy Ferraris. :p If only Ferrari could figure out how to market their cars to Ford F-150 users then they could sell more and it'd be a success. :D

Regards,
SB

The only mistake that MS had made thus far, IMO, is that they unveiled the first device during a consumer trade show. But at least they didn't compound that problem by doing something silly like claiming it would come to the consumer market (they always said it wasn't coming to the consumer market anytime soon ... IE - years).
That and also the fact that Nadella compared Microsoft Mesh to Xbox Live.

why do you believe that ?

Mesh is supposed to be an online community using azure to power it. They want to connect eveyone. Its part of why they bought alt space vr
What do you mean by believe?

It was the quote in the article
The mixed-reality platform is advancing Microsoft’s efforts to bring the digital and physical worlds together, CEO Satya Nadella said during his keynote at the Microsoft Ignite 2021 conference. “Think about what Xbox Live did for gaming--we went from single player to multiplayer, creating communities that help people connect and achieve together,” Nadella said. “Now just imagine if the same thing happened with mixed reality.”

Going after Xbox Live comparison is going into consumer market area.

He's not comparing Mesh to Xbox Live, but is comparing the advancements made. They are saying they hope Mesh can greatly advanced Mixed Reality.

That is "what xbox live did for gaming" which is entirely different than Xbox Live. They are hoping "mesh can do that for mixed reality".

He's not comparing Mesh to Xbox Live, but is comparing the advancements made. They are saying they hope Mesh can greatly advanced Mixed Reality.

That is "what xbox live did for gaming" which is entirely different than Xbox Live. They are hoping "mesh can do that for mixed reality".
But the thing is Xbox Live advancements were achieved due to mass consumer market and not due to business market. Everything that pushed the society/technology forward achieved that through mass market basically.

But the thing is Xbox Live advancements were achieved due to mass consumer market and not due to business market. Everything that pushed the society/technology forward achieved that through mass market basically.
just because its not necessarily completely analogous to xbox live from a consumer standpoint doesnt mean that mesh wont apply to consumer products. One way that it will is with the spatial maps feature that is part of microsoft mesh. Which allows you to have data pinned to geographic locations much more easily in you app. So for instance someone could easily make a pokemon go style app that uses the spatial maps capability to roll out the shared world that the app has between users. This could be really good for things like a geocaching app too, where you could hold your phone up in front of you to see an overlay of where a geocache is, would could even have it so the geocache is 'guarded' by mixed reality dragons or monsters to make it more engaging.

You reading into it. They are just saying to look at xbox live and how it connected video game players in ways that were never done before. Now they are going to do that with VR/AR. It doesn't imply its a consumer product (although it will be both)

No, it's comparing the impact it has on the market segment it is targeting.

Xbox Live: turning single player gaming into group enabled online multiplayer gaming.
Mesh: turning single user AR/VR spaces into group enabled online group spaces.

The focus of the comparison in a nutshell
  • Transforming a traditionally single user space into an online multi-user experience.

That is not the same as saying they are bringing it to the consumer space. Although they hope to eventually bring "something" to the consumer space, Mesh isn't that thing. It's purpose is to expand the existing AR/VR space that they service from mostly single user environments into multi-user online environments ... similar to how Xbox Live helped transform gaming from single player game spaces into multi-player online game spaces.

Regards,
SB

Well I mean they have hololens out ?

Also they have windows mixed reality and there are a bunch of headsets supporting the format including the hp reverb g2 which imo has the best image quality of any headset available to the public right now.

I can't really say anything else

I have a g2 and I use for my sims since late last year. Literally WMR exists as a painful middleman between steamvr and actual headset. It’s garbage.

I have a g2 and I use for my sims since late last year. Literally WMR exists as a painful middleman between steamvr and actual headset. It’s garbage.
your right , its not the greatest and they can improve it. But its still there and theyr have invested time and money into it and continue to

WMR was never intended to be a purely consumer play. If anything I think the consumer aspects were an afterthought. Industry and enterprise VR is still nascent, but MS has put more work into those aspects of things. Though part of that is that VR for general use has failed to go anywhere at all, making it good for only a really niche slice of gaming in the consumer market.

Consequently MS won't be in the consumer space on this stuff until Xbox gets into VR. They'll keep hammering away at the problem space in the mean time, but in ways that aren't going to matter to most of us.

• Join us for the gamescom 2021 Xbox Stream on August 24 at 10:00am PT/6:00pm BST/7:00pm CEST.
  • Tune in to gamescom: Opening Night Live on August 25 at 11:00am PT/7pm BST/8:00pm CEST.
  • Connect with friends and special guests at Xbox FanFest.
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/08/09/join-us-for-the-gamescom-2021-xbox-stream-and-more/
Warm up to gamescom
You’ll get in-depth updates from some of our previously announced Xbox Game Studios titles alongside some of our third-party partners, including some of the incredible titles coming to Xbox this holiday, upcoming releases to our monthly subscription service, Xbox Game Pass, and much more.

• Join us for the gamescom 2021 Xbox Stream on August 24 at 10:00am PT/6:00pm BST/7:00pm CEST.
  • Tune in to gamescom: Opening Night Live on August 25 at 11:00am PT/7pm BST/8:00pm CEST.
  • Connect with friends and special guests at Xbox FanFest.
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/08/09/join-us-for-the-gamescom-2021-xbox-stream-and-more/
Warm up to gamescom

Parris Lilly aka vicious696 & Kate Yeager will be hosting Gamescom! Also, Aaron Greenberg said not to expect any "new reveals or major surprises", but that it will be a fun stream.

Tomorrow they have another ID@Xbox indie showcase streamed live on Twitch.tv/twitchgaming or Twitch.tv/xbox @ 9am PDT or 12pm EDT. Only titles announced so far to be discussed by the developers are: The Artful Escape, OlliOlli World, Library of Ruina, and RPG Time.

Tommy McClain

Tomorrow's Twitch stream will be the same Twitch Format, very long runtime and discussions with developers. Those without patience should wait for the sizzle reels or separate videos posted afterwards.

Tomorrow's Twitch stream will be the same Twitch Format, very long runtime and discussions with developers. Those without patience should wait for the sizzle reels or separate videos posted afterwards.
Ouch....
I thought there was a lot of complaints about it last time.
Seems like would be better to do it over 3 or so days, make it more manageable.

Ouch....
I thought there was a lot of complaints about it last time.
Seems like would be better to do it over 3 or so days, make it more manageable.

Same here, but it's what Twitch viewers love and want.
I think it's great for the developers to get their moment.

However, the event should be an interactive experience. It should start off with Sizzle Reel, with the Starship Troopers "[For More Information Press Here]" which goes into the developer discussion, providing option of "[To Return to the Sizzle Press Here]" during the deep dive, with maybe the default of just running through Sizzle. Yes, it means some may not watch the dev sections, but let's face it, those who won't will simply stop watching or tune out during that time anyways.

HoloLens isn't meant to be a consumer level device

In its current iteration, it is not a consumer device. But there are plans for consumer based hololens and hololens tech was always meant for the consumer space. It was leaked as Project Fortaleza and was supposed to work with the Xbox One (called 720 at the time) and Kinect.

It probably ended up in the business market first because that's the only market that could support the high cost of the tech, which grew when MS ditched Kinect and its tech had to be incorporated directly into the headset.

Back