Wife's new Ryzen PC build

Malo

Yak Mechanicum
Legend
Supporter
My wife was due a new PC, she was gaming on an Intel 4770 + GTX 980 which has done her well for the past 7 years or so. When I built it back then I went higher end to make it last and am doing that again now.

Ryzen 5800X
32Gb 3466C16 RAM
ASUS TUF Gaming B550M-PLUS mboard
Seasonic 750w modular Gold PSU
Sabrent 1Tb NVMe PCIe3

Obviously I can't buy a GPU at the moment, planning to get her a 3070. And fuck all you miners, including those here with multiple cards doing nothing with them.

Went with a PCIe3 version of the NVMe drive because it was $100 difference between the 2 that will make no difference in games. Her new drive will still be 10 times faster than her old.

I actually put on my stock Ryzen cooler that came with my 2600X which will probably suit her fine. She never does anything that really stresses CPUs apart from gaming. I was surprised to see it hit 4.850Ghz sustained on single core out of the box, these Zen 3 are really impressive. If I don't like the temps or noise its making during some stressful gaming I might put an AIO on it but for now it's probably fine.

The RAM seemed to work immediately setting to D.O.C.P, hopefully because I selected a 4x8 kit that was on the QVL list. I still can't get my 3200 RAM on my 2600X working at full speed and really wanted to not have to worry about that. I'll do some stress testing and likely to some tuning on the settings but it's a good start.

That's an impressive machine, i hope she enjoys it. 5800X are known for running hot, I hope you will find a right cooler for it.

Aaannd yeah, we're all waiting for a gpu :/ (if not a cpu, 5900 and 5950 are quit rare in Europe it seems)

i hope she enjoys it. 5800X are known for running hot, I hope you will find a right cooler for it.
I tried Cinebench multicore on it and the fan was screaming at 100% with the CPU at 90c :D. I won't ever be running really CPU intensive stuff on it but I'll be interested to see how Cyberpunk goes with temps since it's somewhat CPU intensive.

Obviously I can't buy a GPU at the moment, planning to get her a 3070.

It looks like availability maybe getting better in the near future as the 3080 Ti and 3070 Ti will have the crypto rate limiter.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Rumored To Get 12 GB GDDR6X Memory Rated at 19 Gbps, Will Feature Hash Rate Limiter To Counter Crypto Miners

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce...memory-19-gbps-will-feature-hash-rate-limiter

Nvidia widens crypto-mining limiting technology

https://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/52471-nvidia-widens-crypto-mining-limiting-technology

I'm not sure it will be enough... By the time it come out, maybe eth will be lower and lower, or 1559 out already... I'm aiming at a 3080ti to finish my new pc, but I don't hope much...

I was running my Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4Ghz with the stock cooler, but when I picked up a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 it dropped the temps 10c and the noise was much, MUCH better.

Recommended upgrade, and they're still dirt cheap for what you get.

Any recommendations for an AIO? I'm thinking of even going a 120 instead of a 240. Not interested in overclocking, only maintaining decent temps and keeping noise to a minimum. Have 2 Noctua case fans already.

Any recommendations for an AIO? I'm thinking of even going a 120 instead of a 240. Not interested in overclocking, only maintaining decent temps and keeping noise to a minimum. Have 2 Noctua case fans already.
My advice? Go air. I'm not a fan of AIO right now, they tend to go bad eventually and it's not worth the hassles for me.

Plus the little gurgles tend to freak me out, I'm probably not the right person to ask. ;)

My advice? Go air. I'm not a fan of AIO right now, they tend to go bad eventually and it's not worth the hassles for me.
Have you had an AIO and had bad experiences? Or speaking anecdotally? I've always done air and really wanted to try out water for once.

Back