Nvidia's 3000 Series RTX GPU [3090s with different memory capacity]

1. MB BIOS update. You do these regularly these days, nothing new.
2. GPU VBIOS update. It's as easy as launching one file these days and is also done rather regularly.
3. The driver is already out.

What's so nightmarish?
Your answer may be valid for enthusiast (except for the GPU vBIOS update being done regularily), but not masses or even just most gamers.

2. GPU VBIOS update. It's as easy as launching one file these days and is also done rather regularly.

What's so nightmarish?

Assuming your mobo and graphics card of choice actually gets an update. And the update doesn’t fuck anything up. Then it’s pretty straightforward for those who bother.

I assume this will be enabled on all new mobos and graphics cards going forward.

Assuming your mobo and graphics card of choice actually gets an update. And the update doesn’t fuck anything up. Then it’s pretty straightforward for those who bother.

I assume this will be enabled on all new mobos and graphics cards going forward.
Well if some h/w part won't get the update then there's not much a user can do besides changing the part - which seems a bit extreme for what is +10% at best in a couple of titles so far.
And if the update will fuck something up then it's a case covered by warranty since they are official updates.

What's so nightmarish?
Has it been determined/disclosed yet, if Nvidia chose to combine the rBAR vBIOS with the ETHammer?

Has it been determined/disclosed yet, if Nvidia chose to combine the rBAR vBIOS with the ETHammer?
Won't make much sense as you'd be able to just flash back a previous BIOS. They need to change the h/w IDs on new cards so that it wouldn't be possible to flash old BIOSes onto them. It's only a rumor so far anyway.

Won't make much sense as you'd be able to just flash back a previous BIOS. They need to change the h/w IDs on new cards so that it wouldn't be possible to flash old BIOSes onto them. It's only a rumor so far anyway.
thx, Cpt. Obvious. :)

What I really don't know about with vBIOS is that whether or not you can prevent it from being flashed back to an older version. On some motherboards, you cannot downgrade. At least not easily.

thx, Cpt. Obvious. :)

What I really don't know about with vBIOS is that whether or not you can prevent it from being flashed back to an older version. On some motherboards, you cannot downgrade. At least not easily.
Making cards which were already bought slower in mining wouldn't accomplish anything. The idea is to prevent miners from buying the new cards so that the gamers would get them and they wouldn't flood the market in case of the next crypto bubble burst.

How do memory temps fare with your setup under heavy load? Which card do you use?

I'm using the Founders Edition 3080 with the EK waterblock so the memory is actively cooled. Before adding the waterblock the memory would frequently go up to 100C+ degrees and the fans would ramp up, which was a bit worrying. Now it stays around 50 - 60 C during load with those clocks, mining or rendering increases that to around 70.

Last edited:
NVIDIA steam numbers,

Still no AMD 6000 series visible on Steam Survey.
I wouldn't hold my breath for the 6000 series after all the unexplained issues Steam Survey has had with AMD products before, nor do I think those numbers would be anywhere near accurate for NVIDIA either.
Valve needs to make that thing transparent.

It's Steam's conspiracy not to show cards I have in my computers. :runaway:
I personally own 3x6800XT and 6x3070 with only 2x3060Ti.
I tell you Steam hates doing Hardware Survey on my PC as it gets confusing reading all these cards at once :LOL:
The survey is a joke, my statistics list either GTX 1060 or Intel iGPU despite the fact that I haven't had GTX 1060 in over 1½ years and haven't fired up Steam in even longer time on my laptop.

Back