Direct3D Mesh Shaders

This the same thing than PS2 vector unit...

Nice we can party like it’s 1999!

It took 20 years to come full circle. Crazy. I assume it’s because early GPUs didn’t have the storage or processing power to accept the full scene geometry and culling was left up to the CPU.

Nice we can party like it’s 1999!

It took 20 years to come full circle. Crazy. I assume it’s because early GPUs didn’t have the storage or processing power to accept the full scene geometry and culling was left up to the CPU.

Maybe hardware wasn't really ready for it but it is now?

Test new NV 440.23 driver on Turing on Windows insider 18970 with D3D12CheckFeatureSupport maybe it's enabled already?

Did the vector unit operate on work groups and have local memory?

Work probably differently but have the same function and it looks like it is a relief for developer.

And the other answer shows they are happy to go back to square one. A more exact term would be Mesh shading is an evolution of PS2 VU...

They would probably have been more happy to improve from the PS2 VU idea...;)

Last edited:
Holy crap, thought ue5 demo was already a nice demo.
It's a nice little demo for sure.

I think we're going to see some amazing looking stuff coming up in the near-ish future, once developers have all these advanced features ready in engine.. and development pipelines are well integrated.

Q: What is the one thing you wish you knew before you added mesh shading? What would you do differently based on your learnings?

With such detailed models, large texture resolution is a must. We will pay more attention to texture loading or streaming. This also makes further requirements to our mesh/texture compression algorithms.

They speak about high resolution textures being a must. To really show off the models at this high of a geometric density, you need high frequency textures to go along with it.. so you can see how Sampler Feedback Streaming plays into enabling this on a larger scale. They don't speak about supporting SF yet, at least not in the article, so I'd assume that is another thing they will be updating to there renderer in the future.

Isn't the big difference between the nanite demo and the mesh shaders that the nanite doesn't require the entire models in memory?

Back