Stadia, Google Game Streaming platform [2019-2021]

You also have to consider profit margin, Microsofts is much higher than sony. In the most recent quarter that we have numbers for microsoft has a 32.3% profit margin, compared with sonys ~9%
Yup, and there is a good reason for this. The vast majority of Sony's revenue is driven by tangible production; CCDs for cameras, TVs, cameras etc. These things needs tangible resources to produce before they can be sold whereas Microsoft, like Google and Apple, exist is a very different economic model which the vast majority of revenue is based on selling intangible products or services. Apple do we'll from selling iPhones but this business is dwarfed by the iOS AppStore.

Its swings and roundabouts. Sony's PlayStaton division has likely benefited from COVID-19 lockdown but Sony's movie division has suffered due to limited production and cinemas being closed. The companies are really nothing alike and they only compete isn one sector: videogame consoles.

You also have to consider profit margin, Microsofts is much higher than sony. In the most recent quarter that we have numbers for microsoft has a 32.3% profit margin, compared with sonys ~9%
Whoa. 9% profit margin? Sounds too low...But what is the regular profit margin for similar companies?
And in what category Nintendo goes?

Whoa. 9% profit margin? Sounds too low...But what is the regular profit margin for similar companies?
And in what category Nintendo goes?
Nintendo has a roughly 25% profit margin

some other tech companys
apple ~21%
google (actually alphabet)~22%
facebook ~27%
microsoft ~32%

some hardware companies
lenovo ~2.5%
dell ~2.5%

so sony doesnt cleanly fit into either being a tech company or a hardware company. In reality they are a hardware company that has a high profit margin division that brings the rest of the company up (ie playstation)

the reason nintendo's profit margin is so good compared to sony is for a couple of reasons, for one nintendo never sells their hardware at a loss, and with the tech in the switch being practically ancient at this point a switch cant cost much to produce at all. And secondly nintendo doesnt sell a bunch of low margin stuff like TVs and phones like sony does, which drags down the profit margin even if its juices the top line revenue

Google's mistake was making stadia its own thing.

Stadia should have been part of youtube.

Oh look splatercat is playing they are billions that looks a lot of fun i'd love to try it... oh whats this play now feature ? Oh cool i can subscribe and play it right from youtube on my browser or portable device !

instead its its own walled garden. Amazon is making the same mistake that google did. Theirs should be tied to twitch. I wonder if its due to anti trust concerns ? Regardless even if you had to load up an app to play it after clicking play it would have done much better to be features like that vs its own thing.

the reason nintendo's profit margin is so good compared to sony is for a couple of reasons, for one nintendo never sells their hardware at a loss, and with the tech in the switch being practically ancient at this point a switch cant cost much to produce at all.
They also almost never sell their games cheaply:mad:

Hm I wonder then what profit margin for the pure Playstation division. Considering that their current launch was not even a lost they should be able to make a hefty sum.

Well yes its not true, but if you look at the posts I was quoting where it leads in from sony revenue is about half that of MS's (closer ~53%) and the 20 billion number (closer ~19 billion) they are talking about I assume the whole company. i.e. why would sonys gaming revenue be half that of MS's?

(numbers from wikipedia)

2020 MS revenue $143 billion
2020 sony revenue $ 76 billion ~19billion a quarter

Like I said gaming only its harder to get figures, from the above link
sony in 2019 was $18.19 billion
MS's numbers were $45.7 billion but this encompasing heaps of non gaming things

according to MS this 45billion is from

1/ Windows, including Windows original equipment manufacturer (“OEM”) licensing and other non-volume licensing of the Windows operating system; Windows Commercial, comprising volume licensing of the Windows operating system, Windows cloud services, and other Windows commercial offerings; patent licensing; Windows Internet of Things (“IoT”); and MSN advertising.
2/ Devices, including Microsoft Surface and PC accessories.
3/ Gaming, including Xbox hardware and Xbox content and services, comprising Xbox Live transactions, subscriptions, cloud services, and advertising (“Xbox Live”), video games, and third-party video game royalties.
4/ Search.

That was a lot of text to say the 20 bil figure per quarter was false?

It is 5 bil. per quarter.

See...did not take a lot of words.

@HLJ obviously the text was TLDR thus didnt understand , :LOL:sorry

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021...to-the-tune-of-hundreds-of-thousands-of-users
personally I think stadia actually done better than I thought as some ppl did actually subscribe :oops: (I can see places where perhaps this makes sense, eg hotels, warzone etc but in your own house?). In what universe did they think this would possibly work. This is not hindsight this was apparent before they launched.
The only conceivable way it could of worked somewhat was to have exclusive games that ppl 'need' to play GTA6 or fortnite that cant be played elsewhere, or how I thought it was gonna be as a subscription where you pay X dollars a month and then can play all the games on it whenever you want, I guess MS gamepass is like this, now this can work and makes sense. But to charge ppl a subscription and then also ask ppl to then also buy each game as well. How do these ppl that thought of this get paid (I assume) good money to be so dumb?

I have spotify which I pay each month, no guessing how long I would still pay for it if I then had to actually buy each song/album before I could listen to it :rolleyes:

I have spotify which I pay each month, no guessing how long I would still pay for it if I then had to actually buy each song/album before I could listen to it :rolleyes:
Yeah, their model was kinda stupid. Paying full price for streaming + no way to keep it (like import to Steam or whatever) if the service is done for?

If you have a subscription you implicitly less concerned about that because -"well only 15$ per month, if I lose - not a big deal" - but paying 60$ or whatever at once and the possibility to lose it? No.

Already kind of mentioned in this thread. This is crazy amount of money being thrown around by google. No wonder some developers were confused about geforce now and bitched about nvidia not giving them money,...

At least for the example given that amount didn't seem to buy them any exclusivity as I believe all Ubisoft games are available to Geforce Now. 2K and Bethesda seem to be the major publishers that become Stadia "exclusives" that at one point were on Geforce Now.

I dont suppose there is a Stadia 2022 thread. Anyway I wanted to bump this because I use Stadia to grab something when at my desktop PC from a vendor in Destiny now and again, (I main the Series X version) via the f2p Stadia version. I dont have Destiny installed on my PC, although as a game pass ultimate subscriber I suppose I could. I used to use Xcloud with a tablet but then they took Destiny off gamepass. Anyways I did that tonight, wanted to grab something from eververse real quick, and I noticed latency seemed significantly less than it ever had before. I loaded into crucible for the true test and did quite decent. Sure there are still intrinsic drawbacks to the latency, but for whatever reason it felt far better than any cloud session ever has for me before. I'm not sure if maybe Stadia recently spun up some servers much closer to my house or something? Only thing I can really think of. While the Stadia version still looks very drab compared to native Series X, it also looks about 2X better than Xcloud that I noticed. It kind of totally changed my idea on streaming services as it's the first time a streaming service felt somewhat playable in multiplayer even though it would never be my platform of choice.

I follow D2 population numbers pretty closely and the Stadia numbers are both quite pathetic and have not gained any traction over the long haul. Some 250-350k daily players each on Xbox/PC/PS each, vs maybe 5k on Stadia, numbers like that. If this carries over to other games and I expect so, then Stadia is a huge flop. I honestly am surprised it doesn't get a bit more traction, as at least the option to play Triple A on almost anything with a screen seems pretty compelling.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...me-unit-stadia-struggled-to-be-googley-enough

Google’s Stadia Problem? A Video Game Unit That’s Not Googley Enough
The tech giant likes to test and tweak. Stadia promised to change the industry and failed to deliver.

I said it before , Stadia needs to be part of youtube. Your watching a lets play of something and just click the stadia button under the video and start playing. Obviously charge a fee but the intergration is what would make it so valuable.

Same with luma and twitch

I said it before , Stadia needs to be part of youtube. Your watching a lets play of something and just click the stadia button under the video and start playing. Obviously charge a fee but the intergration is what would make it so valuable.
They advertised that feature when they announced Stadia. It's Google though so who knows when or if it ever comes to fruition.

I dont suppose there is a Stadia 2022 thread

No 2022 thread. The 2021 was put in the title because Google effectively killed it last year when they closed down their own studios for it and said they wouldn't be doing anything more with it. They only keep it around for now because they're offering the technology platform as a private label. I think AT&T was using it with a Batman title.

Though I will say I thought they would play the long game with it. As long as it was there for an option it could have always started to be a thing especially when xcloud exits beta. The buying games aspect of it was always bull crap IMO though. Its a good thing that they are going to reimburse money people spent on it.

The obvious response being no surprise, only 3 years though lol. Did they even reach any of their unique streaming goals?

Who would have thought full purchases + subscription was a bad business model... everyone else.

Back