What are the best games you've played on PC from all time?

This is tricky for me because I played so many different platforms, but one of the first games that kept me up all night was Civilisation. That game was addictive. Super Tetris and Classic Tetris (like, 30+ years old) also were also better than any Tetris after except maybe Tricky Towers.

Test Drive 1+2, Need for Speed 3+4, Geoff Crammond’s F1 GP 2 (played the first on Atari ST), also had me spend quite some time on PC, and Wolfenstein and Doom, Warcraft 1+2, and C&C also took a lot of my time.

And of course a whole bunch of Sierra Adventures. Which I liked better than the Lucasarts ones, probably partly because of the freedom of typing text and how much fun that could be.

Half-Life was the game that got me to buy a PC. Of all the games I have played, including the ludicrous thousands of hours I spent with Elite (C64) and Roller Coaster-Tycoon, Half-Life and the original Far Cry really stood out as games something both new, different and impactful.

If you are old enough, can can still feel the influence fo both Half-Life introducing genuinely story-driven narratives to first-person games and Far Cry brought physics and exploiting the environment tactically in an open world.

If you are old enough, can can still feel the influence fo both Half-Life introducing genuinely story-driven narratives to first-person games and Far Cry brought physics and exploiting the environment tactically in an open world.

Just to put some emphasis on that. HL basically created non-interruptive story-driven narrative in not just FPS games, but pretty much all electronic gaming. At no point was the player control taken away in order to present the story. Even in arcade games, you would lose control whenever the game designers wanted to do any sort of story exposition.

Half-Life was revolutionary in that the player remained in control at all times. Of course, this meant that the player could also skip or completely miss story elements, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Prior to that, the only time a game never removed control from the player was either if the story has virtually no story narrative or was a genre that naturally featured interruptive gameplay (like turn based RPGs, for example) that constantly interrupted player control whether story narrative was happening or not.

Regards,
SB

My Most Notable titles that I have the fondest memories of:

Mechwarrior 2 / Mercenaries
Battletech Crescent Hawks Inception/ modern one is pretty good too
Starcraft / Warcraft 3
Diablo 1 - 3
Dune 2, C&C, C&C Red Alert
Star Control 2
Descent Freespace / 2
Tie Fighter
Baldur's Gate 2
System Shock 2
Mass Effect *
Quake 3
Dark Reign
Quest for Glory
Space Quest 1-3
Police Quest 2
Monkey Island
Counter Strike
Doom
Half Life
Syndicate
Battlezone (Activision)

Last edited:
Battletech on amiga500 was absolute classic. I completely forgot about this game. I'm now tempted to play it again and see if it holds up or not

Here you go.

The go to power move when the Kurita arrive. Run back to the training grounds and steal that Chameleon and run like hell! Or something like that... I don't recall quite honestly. Just don't be in a commando lol

It's so hard to make a best ever list when the library is so deep, but I think the PC games I've put the most time into have to be Starsiege Tribes, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., NOLF, and Left 4 Dead 2. Oh, and Defense Grid. And Diablo 2. And Titan Quest. And Warcraft 3.

See, told you it was hard.

If we are going by the "You can only have one game from now until forever" standard it has to be Doom. Modern source ports and wads/pk3s give you a completely customized experience from graphics to gameplay, and it's sometimes fun to just blow stuff up in a pure power fantasy and other times load up Brutal Doom, put it on black metal and try to beat as many levels of Sigil that you can without dying. It's 3 by the way. Can't make it past the 3rd level, and that's assuming I make it past the first room of the first level.

I'm not gonna post my life history. If only a few had to make the list:

UT99, COD1 & 4
Live for Speed & Assetto

Story wise, Titanfall2 and Cyberpunk2077

I have super fond feelings of dune2 though
I'm still awed at the game design where you play Harkonnen & get used to use of raw power: big tanks & nukes.
When you start playing Atreidies they feel so weak with limited armor & your Palace unit the Fremen just get killed by the first tank they find.
But then you get critical mass of sonic tanks and they dominate wherever you put them, meanwhile you have 3 Palaces pumping out Fremen and you realise the strength of Desert Power: they swarm the map wiping out the enemies' entire mobile force letting your sonic tanks just walk in & win at leisure.

If we are going by the "You can only have one game from now until forever" standard...

Ouch that's rough. If we were allowed to have internet, then it'd be tempting to pick Unreal Tournament or FFXIV.

But if internet was an unknown variable, then there is only one game I can think of. The original Deus Ex hands down. A distant second would be System Shock 2 followed closely by Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, Fallout 1 & 2, and the original X-Com 1 & 2.

All those games have quite a bit of replayability although it might get old after the 100th or 1000th play through...maybe. :)

Regards,
SB

I would pick metal gear solid 3. Play it once a year and otherwise forget about gaming. But that's a console game. For pc I would probably pick vampire masquerade bloodlines and play it every few years.

Last edited:
One game for me would be Nexus -The Jupiter incident.
Just got it again...this one could seriously need a sequel.

But I fear people are far to whiney today...because the gameplay is HARD.

I think I own Nexus on 3 different platforms now.
Still only once managed to get up to the wormhole, for some reason I can't manage to get going on it :(
I do still fire up the old IGIII demo every now and then to gawk at the still very pretty space battle.

Edit: I made a video

Last edited:
Back