Nvidia's 3000 Series RTX GPU [3090s with different memory capacity]

The restriction isn't that it prevents all Ethereum mining activity. That person is saying that it does start out at the full hash rate (52 mh/s in this case) but then drops to 50%. This also corresponds to what a youtuber (who had early access) also posted as well.

Given the current information it doesn't seem like any possible bypass will just be some casual "hobbyist" effort (barring of course some oversight/bug).

While there will be significant effort likely looking into bypassing it due to the money involved this also a bit of a catch 22. As since it's worth a lot will those that do (should they) figure out a bypass just casually publicize it to everyone due the money involved? Also from a practical stand point there's also the issue of whether people will really bother or just look for alternative hardware.

Last edited:
Talking about Pascal vs Ampere...

doom_eternal_1080ti_1wrkvf.jpg

doom_eternal_3080_1zejeg.jpg

Not perfectly comparable because of different CPU, drivers and game version. At 4K in this example the 3080 was more than 2.5x times as fast as my 1080 ti :yes:

Both GPUs with waterblocks and undervolting at 24/7 stable clocks.

Would be worrisome if AAA title wouldn't still have nice graphics less than a year after release

True, but seeing we are in to another generation now. Going from say PS2 to PS3 and everything PS2 looked kinda..... dated.
Also, i think the Doom engine was going to make its way to next generation hardware aswell, one of the DF videos mentioned it.

Unpopular opinion but I think that Eternal is a rather average looking game, to a point where I even prefer the 2016's look. Dunno if it's due to tech changes between them or art or both.

RTX 3060 is out: https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-review-roundup

The card is basically a 2070 in performance, with 150% of VRAM and some advantages in titles which hit FP32 compute probably.

I couldn't find even one sensible example of 12GB being better than 8 or even 6 at this performance tier while skimming through benchmarks.

RBAR implementation also seem somewhat useless here, probably because most games are GPU limited at this performance?

not a bad pick up if you have an older card like the vega line or 10x0 series. Get faster chip that uses less power with more ram and raytracing and dlss. With the mining craze you might even be able to pick this up off the value of your old card on the second hand market

Very underwhelming performance. Only 20% faster than a 2060. Slower than a 5700xt while probably costing more etc.

Last edited:
It's not targeted at 20 series owners. 2070 ($500) or 2060S ($400) performance for $330 - an a world without miners.

How would it cost more? Similar size on a cheaper process, 6 G6 chips instead of 8, 170W power supply instead of 250W.
You could get a 5700xt almost 2 years ago for 400 or less. I think its very unlikely people will be buying one of these for less than that.

When are we going to get back to $250 cards being good? This would be a great candidate for that. But it's $79 more because screw you... also because of a lack of competition, but still.

Maybe during PS6/Nextbox generation.

You could get a 5700xt almost 2 years ago for 400 or less.
Okay? As it doesn't target 20 series it also doesn't target AMD's equivalents.

I think its very unlikely people will be buying one of these for less than that.
If only anyone in the world cared about what these 2% of 5700XT owners would be buying.
The card is aimed at 1060 (480-580) and even 900 (300) series owners. For them it's a good upgrade which has all next gen features and will probably be fine for the whole of new console gen if you're planning on staying with 1080p-1440p.
The obvious problem is that it won't be sold anywhere close to MSRP which makes all this discussion rather pointless.

It's worth noting that RTX 3060's price was announced post expiration of tariff exemptions and the associated price increases AiBs were doing for the existing stacks. So the $330 MSRP may not exactly be comparable to prior Ampere releases regardless of the current mining situation.

This is good news. Enabling the thing on older hardware still sounds like a nightmare though.

https://www.techspot.com/news/88764-nvidia-begins-rolling-out-resizable-bar-support-rtx.html

Nvidia is taking a different route. Their drivers will leave the Resizable BAR disabled by default, and only switch it on in titles where Nvidia’s found that it improves performance. As of writing, that’s eight titles:
  • Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
  • Battlefield V
  • Borderlands 3
  • Forza Horizon 4
  • Gears 5
  • Metro Exodus
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • Watch Dogs: Legion

Enabling the thing on older hardware still sounds like a nightmare though.
1. MB BIOS update. You do these regularly these days, nothing new.
2. GPU VBIOS update. It's as easy as launching one file these days and is also done rather regularly.
3. The driver is already out.

What's so nightmarish?

Back